askpcexperts??? Who are they?

Old June 7th 12, 10:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default askpcexperts??? Who are they?

I got a call today from a person (India or Pakistan probably) in a 3rd world country claiming to be Microsoft Certified, and that my computer had forwarded data to Microsoft indicating that it had a virus, and that he would help me fix it.

I did not tell him about my tech street cred, but I busted his stones for quite a while, asking repeatedly why I should trust him, and told him he could send me email with proof-positive of the virus in my computer. I gave him my email address, public knowledge anyway, and told him I would take his email and quarantine it just in case HE was sending me a virus.

They have a very nice web site, but this was almost 100% certain a scam. You been warned... Ben Myers
Old June 8th 12, 12:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Ben Myers
wrote:

I got a call today from a person (India or Pakistan probably) in a 3rd world country claiming to be Microsoft Certified, and that my computer had forwarded data to Microsoft indicating that it had a virus, and that he would help me fix it.

I did not tell him about my tech street cred, but I busted his stones for quite a while, asking repeatedly why I should trust him, and told him he could send me email with proof-positive of the virus in my computer. I gave him my email address, public knowledge anyway, and told him I would take his email and quarantine it just in case HE was sending me a virus.

They have a very nice web site, but this was almost 100% certain a scam. You been warned... Ben Myers

Thanks for the warning. I have gotten from time to time (not often
but more than once) pop ups on websites warning me of having a virus
or wanting to do a scan on mine. I just ignor them but likely if I
accidentally told them to go ahead, I'd get built in warning from my
end if I want to proceed due to multiple layers of protection I have
installed. I never had one actually call me tho. That's new to me.
Actually with all the crap I have installed or just lying around, I
wouldn't be surprised if I had a virus but it's likely not going to
get too far due to the multiple layers of protection on my system. Of
course you can run virus checkers but you have to be aware of false
positives too. Thanks for the heads up tho. I admit I'm getting
lazy about reading of all the latest viri, scams etc... just
beginning to just think it's a way of life nowadays
Old June 8th 12, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

On Jun 7, 3:15*pm, Ben Myers wrote:
I got a call today from a person (India or Pakistan probably) in a 3rd world country claiming to be Microsoft Certified, and that my computer had forwarded data to Microsoft indicating that it had a virus, and that he would help me fix it.

I did not tell him about my tech street cred, but I busted his stones for quite a while, asking repeatedly why I should trust him, and told him he could send me email with proof-positive of the virus in my computer. *I gave him my email address, public knowledge anyway, and told him I would take his email and quarantine it just in case HE was sending me a virus.

They have a very nice web site, but this was almost 100% certain a scam. *You been warned... Ben Myers

Interesting! I recently got a message from the Microsoft Security
Essentials that I have installed asking if a file could be forwarded
to Microsoft for examination. Now I wonder about that message.

Larry
Old June 8th 12, 05:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
davy

This is a scam through and through..... there are many examples if you
do a search for MS scams. 'Here is one example. '
(http://www.computerrepairtips.net/ph...rus-is-a-scam/)

Never had one myself, it's a scam more common than one can imagine. I
know someone who had one and played ball with em', then he waited till
they've done a test or two and say, "Oh by the way I haven't my computer
switched on and besides I'm using Linux', they just rang off!

Davy

Old June 9th 12, 04:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:11:42 -0500, davy
wrote:

This is a scam through and through..... there are many examples if you
do a search for MS scams. 'Here is one example. '
(http://www.computerrepairtips.net/ph...rus-is-a-scam/)

Never had one myself, it's a scam more common than one can imagine. I
know someone who had one and played ball with em', then he waited till
they've done a test or two and say, "Oh by the way I haven't my computer
switched on and besides I'm using Linux', they just rang off!

Davy

I've had about 6 of these calls. Several friends also. Including a
friend who doesn't even have a computer at home - - - .
Old June 9th 12, 11:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
artleknock

(
http://www.computerrepairtips.net/ph...rus-is-a-scam/)

Never had one myself, it's a scam more common than one can imagine. I
know someone who had one and played ball with em', then he waited till
they've done a test or two and say, "Oh by the way I haven't my computer
switched on and besides I'm using Linux', they just rang off!

Davy

I've had about 6 of these calls. Several friends also. Including a
friend who doesn't even have a computer at home - - - .

There has been a warning on Dom's 'Rip Off Britain" program on TV
about this. I have received a couple of these calls, anyone with any
knowledge of computers at all can tell its a scam but the vulnerable
could fall for it. My mother, who is 89, rang me in a panic because
she had one of these calls from 'Microsoft' saying her computer had a
virus and she was afraid to switch it on until I went over a checked
it out for her.
Old June 16th 12, 10:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I got two more calls from these scammers this week. They have to be dialing random phone numbers. The first call this week, I strung the guy along for a while, then just kept calling him a scammer until he hung up. The last call, the guy kept telling me I had a virus on my computer. I asked him which one, and he said one of the Windows computers here "at home". I told him he was calling my office (true fact) and that this was a business, not a home. He promptly excused himself and hung up. Seems that they want to prey on those naive unwashed consumers, not us really competent business types... Ben
Old June 17th 12, 05:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

(http://www.computerrepairtips.net/ph...soft-about-vir...)

[...]

I guess the tip off for a scam is the mention that they are calling
from Microsoft. As far as I know MS never calls anyone, let alone
warn an individual of a virus on their computer. That is so lame.

Larry

Old June 18th 12, 03:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian Smith

wrote:

[...]

This scam has been happening in Canada for at least a few years now. I've
had numerous calls from these idiots. At least in my case, it seems the
people making the calls are just reading from a script and are not very
knowledgeable. One time I told the guy that I was going to contact the
police and asked him for his phone number. He actually gave it to me but I
was to stupid to make sure I had a pen handy to right it down. I did
remember the first part he gave me and verified that he was calling from
India. Despite this being in the news a lot some people still fall victim
and give out their credit card number which seems to be the real intent of
the scam. Microsoft has even had reps come out and say that they will never
contact people by phone but obviously not everyone listens or realizes how
crazy it would be for them to contact every Windows user in the world.

Brian

Old June 20th 12, 08:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, Microsoft has more than a Chinese wall between themselves and all the unwashed owners of Wintel computers. It's a fortress reminiscent of medieval times. Just try to talk to a real person at Microsoft. I dare you, unless you are a member of the trade press, in which case they are on you like flies on manure. eWeek today had a 13-slide "news item" about the new Microsoft tablet. Some news. The slides were definitely from Microsoft or its PR flacks... Ben