services.exe gone wild

Old April 28th 08, 03:45 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Default services.exe gone wild

This is probably not the right place to ask, but the W2K group is pretty inactive --

In Task Manager, under Processes, there is a permanent process called services.exe.

Up until about 2 months ago, I never paid any attention to it at all, and ACPI S3 standby was
working perfectly.
Then I installed TaxCut, and Adobe reader version 8, and services.exe started using all CPU time for
1 to 2 mintes after wake up standby. Very annoying - as that defeats the purpose of 'instantly
available PC'.

No virus or spyware present by check with mcaffe and spybot.

I un-installed TaxCut and Adobe reader, but the problem is still there.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Old April 30th 08, 06:07 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

cew wrote:
This is probably not the right place to ask, but the W2K group is pretty
inactive --

In Task Manager, under Processes, there is a permanent process called
services.exe.

Up until about 2 months ago, I never paid any attention to it at all,
and ACPI S3 standby was working perfectly.
Then I installed TaxCut, and Adobe reader version 8, and services.exe
started using all CPU time for 1 to 2 mintes after wake up standby. Very
annoying - as that defeats the purpose of 'instantly available PC'.

No virus or spyware present by check with mcaffe and spybot.

I un-installed TaxCut and Adobe reader, but the problem is still there.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Have you checked this out?

CPU Utilization in Services.exe Increases to 100 Percent
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328885

Yousuf Khan
Old May 1st 08, 12:19 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Yousuf Khan wrote:
cew wrote:
This is probably not the right place to ask, but the W2K group is
pretty inactive --

In Task Manager, under Processes, there is a permanent process called
services.exe.

Up until about 2 months ago, I never paid any attention to it at all,
and ACPI S3 standby was working perfectly.
Then I installed TaxCut, and Adobe reader version 8, and services.exe
started using all CPU time for 1 to 2 mintes after wake up standby.
Very annoying - as that defeats the purpose of 'instantly available PC'.

No virus or spyware present by check with mcaffe and spybot.

I un-installed TaxCut and Adobe reader, but the problem is still there.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Have you checked this out?

CPU Utilization in Services.exe Increases to 100 Percent
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328885

Yousuf Khan

Thanks -- now if I can finger out what I actually need, and how to get it.
Old May 2nd 08, 12:30 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

George Orwell wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:19:53 -0700, cew wrote:

now if I can finger out what I actually need, and how to get it.

The Microsoft article was very clear. If you install the latest W2K service
packs, the problem is fixed and goes away. Hopefully:-) If you click on
Windows Update it should pull in what you need.

I ran W2K for many years after XP was released. But after my computer
suffered a series of unsolvable stability problems, I finally gave in and
bought XP. All the crashes and instability simply disappeared. I also
didn't have to do a major hunt for several driver disks as XP has built-in
driver support for W2K hardware. Upgrading to Windows XP may be the best
solution to your problem.

https://www.mixmaster.it

The article may be clear -- but in a brief scan, I didn't see anything about the problem happening
ONLY upon wake up from ACPI S3 standby. I'll certainly try it.
Old May 2nd 08, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

George Orwell wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:19:53 -0700, cew wrote:

now if I can finger out what I actually need, and how to get it.

The Microsoft article was very clear. If you install the latest W2K service
packs, the problem is fixed and goes away. Hopefully:-) If you click on
Windows Update it should pull in what you need.

I ran W2K for many years after XP was released. But after my computer
suffered a series of unsolvable stability problems, I finally gave in and
bought XP. All the crashes and instability simply disappeared. I also
didn't have to do a major hunt for several driver disks as XP has built-in
driver support for W2K hardware. Upgrading to Windows XP may be the best
solution to your problem.

https://www.mixmaster.it

Installed the W2k 'roll up updates'. Didn't work -- maybe a little less time used, but services.exe
still uses a minute or more upon wakeup from S3 standby. The time is application time, not kernel,
if that makes any difference.
Old May 3rd 08, 12:20 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

cew wrote:
George Orwell wrote:
[...]

And the MS article says the problem occurs when files are incorrectly flushed to disk -- but my
disks are not active during the delay.

Wild Reset mac Homebuilt PC's 5 July 31st 06 05:16 AM
*xP One Wild Ride Online !! *xP Barb1 Webcams 0 February 21st 06 08:24 AM
Clock gone wild Bill Stock Homebuilt PC's 3 December 5th 05 03:30 PM
HP Printer gone wild! nikkilynnecox General 1 September 15th 05 05:03 PM