Replacement for D865PERL??

Old November 28th 07, 11:50 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Default Replacement for D865PERL??

After trying a new disk, a fresh W2K install, a new AGP card, switching
RAM modules around, (nothing else except MB and CPU), and completely
disassembling and re assembling the computer, it looks like my D865PERL
is flaky. First it was silent, complete lockups after S3 wakeup, and now
also when trying to cold boot. (cold literally means after the computer
sits powered off for a few hours.)

I don't need or want any more capability than the 865, and I'd like to
reuse my CPU, RAM, and AGP.

What do you recommend as a replacement MB - Intel or not.
Thanks.
Old November 29th 07, 03:33 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

George Orwell wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:50:51 -0700, cew wrote:

I don't need or want any more capability than the 865, and I'd like to reuse my CPU, RAM, and AGP. What do you recommend as a replacement MB - Intel or not. Thanks.

The problem is that all of your components are no longer compatible with current offerings. You're just not going to find anything sold in the stores that accepts a socket 478 processor, DDR memory, and AGP card. If you find a motherboard that does accept a 478 CPU, it will only have PCI-E x16 for the video and/or DDR2 memory slots. Newer motherboards also require a 24-pin power supply, although you can still use a 20-pin power supply if your video card doesn't require a lot of current. If you browse to eBay a few people are selling your motherboard. Then there's your local Craigslist. Somebody there may have an older motherboard for sale. Asus is an ok brand. Another way to go is just buy a complete used system (less display) and forget about using your components. There are some great deals out there on systems only 2 or 3 years old. Especially with the holidays coming up, people are both looking to generate some cash or to get rid of a system replaced by something under the Holiday Tree:-) Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
https://www.mixmaster.it

D865PESOL ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP. Can a microATX be installed in a mid-size case?
Asus P4P800-SE ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP
Abit IS7-E2G ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP

Old November 29th 07, 03:37 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

George Orwell wrote:

[...]

D875PBZ ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP
Old December 8th 07, 04:19 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Default Replaced RAM - better, but --

cew wrote:
After trying a new disk, a fresh W2K install, a new AGP card,
switching RAM modules around, (nothing else except MB and CPU), and
completely disassembling and re assembling the computer, it looks like
my D865PERL is flaky. First it was silent, complete lockups after S3
wakeup, and now also when trying to cold boot. (cold literally means
after the computer sits powered off for a few hours.)

I don't need or want any more capability than the 865, and I'd like to
reuse my CPU, RAM, and AGP.

What do you recommend as a replacement MB - Intel or not.
Thanks.

In case this is of interest to anyone ---
I replaced my DRAM with a Crucial (Micron) 1G kit. Symptoms are much
reduced. Sometimes the computer goes through several S3 standby cycles,
even over night, with no problems. And no more multiple resets to get
the computer to boot. But it does still hang sometimes after S3
standby. I'll try a different PS, as Mr. Orwell suggested, before
changing MBs.
Old December 8th 07, 11:53 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

George Orwell wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:19:24 -0700, cew wrote:

I replaced my DRAM with a Crucial (Micron) 1G kit. Symptoms are much reduced. Sometimes the computer goes through several S3 standby cycles, even over night, with no problems. And no more multiple resets to get the computer to boot. But it does still hang sometimes after S3 standby. I'll try a different PS, as Mr. Orwell suggested, before changing MBs.

If you can get your computer stable just booting an OS and running applications, maybe that's enough. I recently changed cases to an Antec Solo with Seasonic S12 430w PS. The system runs very quiet and stable. As an experiment I tried running Vista on the D865PERL. Everything works fine except the Analog Devices AD1985 onboard audio. There aren't any Vista audio drivers at the Intel website for this motherboard nor does it appear there ever will. Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
https://www.mixmaster.it

I've only had two computers with S3 capability. The first one built on a VC820, with W98SE and W2K, worked fine for 5 years (and still does). This one worked fine for over a year, then started having problems. I would really like to get it working right again.
At this point, it HAS to be either the PS or the MB. Neither very expensive to try. Right now, I'd guess S3 wakeup works about 2/3 of the time without a subsequent hang. Thanks for you help.
btw, how can you not be related to a real person? Unless you're pure, self-writing software.
Old December 9th 07, 04:13 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Frito Lay wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:53:52 -0700, cew wrote:

btw, how can you not be related to a real person? Unless you're pure,
self-writing software.

Life is full of mysteries. How come your posts suddenly appear as HTML?
In order to read your messages I have to change my newsreader to display
the raw message vs. the plain text setting. I only mention this as you may
be unaware that it's happening.

Probably because I made a mistake and selected HTML when I sent them. Sorry.
Old December 16th 07, 05:14 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Default Sorry, Intel

I wrongly maligned you. Looks like my problem was the P/S, or maybe P/S and Ram.
Replaced an Antec 450w Smart Power with an Antec 550w Truepower Trio, and no problems for 4 days
now. Goes into S3 standby instantly on request, wakes up instantly on request with no hangups, and
does not spontaneously wake up in the middle of the night anymore.
I noticed that the new P/S output voltages, as reported by Intel Active Manager, are all rock solid.
Looks like a static image. The old P/S showed a lot of ripple around nominal - never out of range
that I saw, but ripple.
The computer is also staying cool at lower fan speeds, and slightly quieter.

Thanks for the help -- should have listened to Mr. Orwell at the start.
Old December 16th 07, 10:37 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

George Orwell wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:14:24 -0700, cew wrote:

does not spontaneously wake up in the middle of the night anymore.

I have a Microsoft wireless optical IntelliMouse. The receiver is USB and
came with a green USB to PS/2 adapter. Using this setup I could never keep
my computer asleep. The slightest breeze, vibration, or movement, even a
piece of dust falling, would be enough to wake the system up. All my
research came up with other people complaining of the same thing and no
solution.

What worked though was to ditch the USB to PS/2 adapter and plug the
receiver directly into a USB port. With this setup the mouse is dead to
the world when the system is asleep. Only by pressing any key on the wired
PS/2 keyboard wakes the system up, which is how it should be. Why a funky
power supply would cause your system to spontaneously wakeup is unknown.
Do you have any pets or other critters in your house that could walk across
the sleeping system keyboard?

https://www.mixmaster.it

Not that are ever in this part of the house. I have PS/2 mouse and keyboard, and always had that
problem with this computer - even when there were no other, hang up problems. Same problem with
previous computer I built. Don't know if the power supply or new Ram fixed that problem, but it does
seem to be fixed.
Old December 17th 07, 01:40 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ian D

"cew" wrote in message
I wrongly maligned you. Looks like my problem was the P/S, or maybe P/S and
Ram.
Replaced an Antec 450w Smart Power with an Antec 550w Truepower Trio, and
no problems for 4 days now. Goes into S3 standby instantly on request,
wakes up instantly on request with no hangups, and does not spontaneously
wake up in the middle of the night anymore.
I noticed that the new P/S output voltages, as reported by Intel Active
Manager, are all rock solid. Looks like a static image. The old P/S showed
a lot of ripple around nominal - never out of range that I saw, but
ripple.
The computer is also staying cool at lower fan speeds, and slightly
quieter.

Thanks for the help -- should have listened to Mr. Orwell at the start.

If the old P/S had a noisy +5V standby line, a sufficient negative pulse
could, in turn,
cause a momentary negative pulse from the keyboard or mouse, that is
interpreted by
the system as a keypress, causing it to wake up.

Old December 17th 07, 03:09 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
cew

Ian D wrote:
"cew" wrote in message
[...]

As good a explanation as I've heard. Haven't had any way to monitor +5sb.

PCI bus problem - D865PERL cew Intel 9 November 27th 07 10:48 PM
D865PERL problems cew Intel 6 November 12th 07 06:47 PM
A different D865PERL problem Jim[_16_] Intel 1 October 31st 07 04:02 PM
Help Intel D865PERL Graham General 2 April 12th 05 02:29 PM
D865PERL - HD LED not working! JR Intel 1 December 11th 03 04:36 AM