Error message

Old August 16th 16, 12:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

Default Error message

I get the following messages on my Dell precision m6600 since upgrading to Windows 10.

First this message pops up:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology
disk on port 3 - detected

Then this message follows in quick succession:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology
disk on port 3 - removed

Anyone have any idea what these messages mean?

Thank you!

Old August 16th 16, 02:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

No clue, except that when I reinstall XP on a new
disk I don't install utilities, only drivers.

Utilities seem to have an overly expansive view of
the world.

Old August 16th 16, 04:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 16:33:37 -0700 (PDT), Larry
wrote:

Rapid Storage Technology

It thinks there is a RAID (lone disk)?
Old August 16th 16, 08:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Larry wrote in
:

I get the following messages on my Dell precision m6600 since
upgrading to Windows 10.

First this message pops up:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology
disk on port 3 - detected

Then this message follows in quick succession:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology
disk on port 3 - removed

Anyone have any idea what these messages mean?

Thank you!

I'm sure you've googled this, but just in case you haven't...

https://communities.intel.com/message/240367#240367
Old August 17th 16, 02:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

wrote:

Rapid Storage Technology

It thinks there is a RAID (lone disk)?

I am a little out of my knowledge area here, but I checked the SYSTEM CONFIGURATION in the BIOS and RAID is not turned on, SATA OPERATION is running in AHCI mode.

Also I should mention that the SSD card reader port is not working in Windows 10 (It was working in Windows 7). It appears that Windows 10 does not see the reader at all because in another m6600 I have the card reader does work and I see IEEE 1394 host controller in DEVICE MANAGER that I don't see in the other m6600 where the card reader is not being recognized. I am assuming that refers to the SSD Card reader.

So is it possible the error message might refer to the SSD card reader port? I checked and that port is turned on in the BIOS.
Old August 17th 16, 02:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

wrote:

Rapid Storage Technology

It thinks there is a RAID (lone disk)?

Steve, Thank you for your response, In checking the BIOS, would it matter if the SATA OPERATION is in AHCI and not in RAID mode?

Please see my post to Boris below.
Old August 17th 16, 06:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

wrote:

Rapid Storage Technology

It thinks there is a RAID (lone disk)?

Steve, Thank you for your response, In checking the BIOS, would it matter if the SATA OPERATION is in AHCI and not in RAID mode?

Please see my post to Boris below.

I don't know what the BIOS setting would do. But since you do not have a RAID,
I would change nothing.

FWIW I reused a (IDE) drive that was formerly in a system RAID cluster. I
always got /warned/ (even though I did not have RAID set on the system) of a
member drive not found. (somewhere I found a tool to clear the RAID flag.
Formatting will NOT do that.

SD card not working screams BAD DRIVER to me.

Have you looked at Disk Management (Right click on the Start Icon) status
Old August 19th 16, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

wrote:

Rapid Storage Technology

It thinks there is a RAID (lone disk)?

Steve, Thank you for your response, In checking the BIOS, would it matter if the SATA OPERATION is in AHCI and not in RAID mode?

Please see my post to Boris below.

I don't know what the BIOS setting would do. But since you do not have a RAID,
I would change nothing.

FWIW I reused a (IDE) drive that was formerly in a system RAID cluster. I
always got /warned/ (even though I did not have RAID set on the system) of a
member drive not found. (somewhere I found a tool to clear the RAID flag.
Formatting will NOT do that.

SD card not working screams BAD DRIVER to me.

Have you looked at Disk Management (Right click on the Start Icon) status

Disk Management status is all healthy.

I thought that the error message I was getting might be referring to the SSD port. But apparently not? The card itself works fine in other computers, in both a MacBook Pro and the other precision m6600.

The m6600 has some 16 different drivers to load, excluding the video drivers, so I am trying to figure out which of the 16 drivers would control the ssd port.

This is the list of drivers:

01 Intel Chipset
02 Dell System Software
03 Micro Memory Card
04 Serial ATA Storage
05 Video Graphics
06 HD Audio
07 Intel LAN Network
08 System Utilities
09 Security
10 Wireless Network
11 Dell Bluetooth 375
12 Alps TouchPad
13 STM Free Fall Sensor
14 Intel Management Engine
15 Intel Identity Protection Technology
16 RENESAS USB 3.0
17 LCD Specialized

I tried to reload 03 Micro Memory card drivers, but that did not work.

From this list and the Dell website, it is not clear to me which driver to reload, so guess I will have to reload them all, except maybe for the video card driver.

However, here is my question: Could there be any problems reloading all the drivers? (being in Windows 10 rather Windows 7)

The m6600 just went off the service contract a few months ago and Dell wanted me to renew it, but they said they would not provide any support for Windows 10 on the Dell precision m6600. So I could have continued Dell prosupport if I had remained in Windows 7, but cannot in Windows 10. However, they do provide Windows 10 support for the precision m6700 and up. Ugh, very messy!

Thanks for your response!

Larry