File Transfer Wizard vs. IE

Old July 14th 04, 04:34 PM
Clifton

Default File Transfer Wizard vs. IE

I want to transfer files from an old computer to my new Dell. The old
computer has no web access(only basic Email), no Internet Explorer, and a
failed cdrom drive. Using the File Transfer Wizard, I get message on old
computer that need IE. I could get IE if I had the cdrom drive, but I don't.
I tried a browser that I could install with a floppy, but FTW didn't
recognize. Am I doomed?

Old July 14th 04, 06:48 PM
Basill

I dont know how old you old computer is or which Dell you got but I usually
take the hard drive out of the old computer and connect it to the CDROM
connectors of the new PC, when you boot the new PC the old drive will show
up as D: and you can copy all the files you want onto the new drive.

Basill

Old July 14th 04, 11:50 PM
Clifton

Yes, but I am trying to avoid getting inside the two m/c except as a last
resort. I have never done that. I also had a suggestion to install the old
hard drive in the new computer as a slave. I am not ready for that either.
This is old PB computer and new Dell desktop. Neither of which is mine , but
I am trying to be helpful,

Old July 15th 04, 08:21 AM
LaVacheQuiRit

The organic entity known as Clifton communicated the following:

I want to transfer files from an old computer to my new Dell. The old
computer has no web access(only basic Email), no Internet Explorer,
and a failed cdrom drive. Using the File Transfer Wizard, I get
message on old computer that need IE. I could get IE if I had the
cdrom drive, but I don't. I tried a browser that I could install with
a floppy, but FTW didn't recognize. Am I doomed?

I usually use FTP. Install a server on one side (probably your new machine)
and a client on the old computer.

My favourite is FileZilla:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

The FileZilla client is a little larger than the size of a floppy, so it
might be easier to use another (smaller) client to install on your old
computer via a floppy disk.

Hans
Old July 15th 04, 10:23 AM
Hank Arnold

If both machines have an Ethernet connection, try connecting them with a
crossover cable and use that to share/copy the drives/files.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old July 17th 04, 05:20 AM
MB

I use the INTELLIMOVER program. It requires a cable going from one USB port
to the other. It worked well for me.

Mel

Old July 17th 04, 05:30 PM
Clifton

My intellimover program is 1400 miles from here and no USB on the old
computer. Otherwise, thanks.

Old July 19th 04, 08:55 PM
Virginia Taylor

"Basill" wrote in message
I dont know how old you old computer is or which Dell you got but I

usually
take the hard drive out of the old computer and connect it to the CDROM
connectors of the new PC, when you boot the new PC the old drive will show
up as D: and you can copy all the files you want onto the new drive.

Basill

Is this still true if the old computer gave it all up by stating a
memory module could no longer be located and windows couldn't open?

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what
it costs when it's free....P.L. O'Rourke