How do I place cues within a track?

Old October 3rd 04, 05:51 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

" wrote:

I'm burning a long wav to audio CD format, and would like to put cues
in the wav at different points, so that if I hit "track forward" on
the CD I can skip ahead within the track to a particular point in the
track. (It's a lecture -- not music. So there's only "1 track" on the
CD, but I need cues within it. It's an hour long.)

Not all burners and players support wav with embedded cue (index). It's
best split into tracks.

My current sound editing software (PolderbitS) only let's you place
cues by track splitting. But when I do this and burn the tracks to CD
then listen back, it cuts out for a second at the track positions,
inserting dead space. I don't want any space at all. I don't even want
separate tracks. Just one long track with cues.

Most burn softwares let you adjust the inter-track gap when you burn in
DAO. The typical procedure is select all the tracks except the first
one, right-click and specify 0 sec for no gaps.
Old October 6th 04, 08:25 PM
Rus

"Teresa" wrote in message
I'm burning a long wav to audio CD format, and would like to put cues
in the wav at different points, so that if I hit "track forward" on
the CD I can skip ahead within the track to a particular point in the
track. (It's a lecture -- not music. So there's only "1 track" on the
CD, but I need cues within it. It's an hour long.)

Anyone know what software will do this? Thanks!

As also suggested by others in this thread, what you want to do is called
inserting "index" marks into a track.

I use Nero ( www.nero.com ) for this most of the time because it's easy and
it works. It's about a $70 download. Good program.

Index marks are not a problem in any CD player. Every audio CD player is
designed to look for these index marks.

I presume you plan to create CD's that you can distribute to others taking
your classes. If that's the case, you may find that some people complain
they can't jump forward to the indexes you've created. If you receive those
complaints, it's probably because the brand of cd blank you burned is not up
to par.

Where you will have problems with index marks involves the quality of the
blank cd and the quality of your burner. Most blank cd's (and dvd's) sold
these days are manufactured to marginal standards to keep the price down.
This means they will probably work in a relatively new player that is
designed for burned discs. However, if you try to play that burned CD in a
player not designed for these, it may have problems in many ways--not just
with the index marks.

So, in my little mind, I'd say, go ahead and make a cd with index marks. It
will do what you want to do. If the player you use is built for burned
discs, you'll have no problems. If you are listening to the lectures on
your PC (or Mac), you will have no problems if the drive is made to read
burned discs.

You may have problems, however, if you try to play the disc in some player
not designed for burned discs. (You may have many problems reading and
seeking tracks ... not just problems with the index marks.)

If you insert index marks into an audio file, and if you have problems
getting a player to seek and find the index mark, your problem will be one
of three: (1) You did something wrong in the software, (2) your burner is
messed up, (3) the blank cd is crap.

How to fix:

(1) To fix an error done by you, just RTM (Read The Manual). Actually,
Nero makes it extremely easy to insert index marks.

(2) If it's your burner causing the problem, the only way to tell is try
another burner. Actually, most CD burners are quite good on the average.
In any batch, however, you can get a bad burner no matter what the brand
name of the burner.

(3) If the package containing the cd blank says "Made in Taiwan," it's
probably crap. Now, let me say, I do use some cd blanks that are made in
Taiwan because they are cheap. However, I use these CD's only for burning
things when I know I'm going to play the disc in a player designed for
burned CD's.

There is one brand of CD blank that excels far and away above the rest. As
the experts in the field will tell you, Mitsui brand discs are the best.

You can read about Mitsui at www.mam-a.com .

Finding them for sale on the shelves is difficult. Finding them on the web
is not easy. There are many places, however, on the web selling them. You
can buy from that mam-a site, but, the cost is a little higher than you will
pay elsewhere on the web.

Search through your favorite engine for the text strings: "Mitsui" and
"CDR" or use "MAM-A and "CDR." (The "M's" in the MAM-A doesn't stand for
Mitsui--I forget what it stands for--but MAM-A discs use Mitsui dye on a
disc that has a nice "thick" reflector. MAM-A actually stands for something
like: Multimedia and Manufacturing of America or something like that.)

I buy a 100 piece stack of MAM-A CDR's for about $65 U.S. including
shipping. Yes. That's about 3 times the cost of most blank CDR's. They
are worth it when you need a disc that does all its supposed to do in any
player no matter how old that player may be.

These MAM-A blanks use Mitsui dye. They work in everything! In the medical
world, you'll find that most hospitals and doctors use Mitsui for storing
data. When pro musicians submit a burned CDR, they will use Mitsui. They
even play in my old Jeep. I love that old Jeep and it's got an Infinity
stereo that will rattle the windows of the car next to me. The CD player in
that Jeep has a very finicky player. MAM-A discs that I burn play in that
thing just as though the discs are factory pressed retail CD's.

Another brand of discs that used to be good is Taiyo-Yuden. Unfortunately,
burned Taiyo Yuden discs won't play in my Jeep.

I think I've seen some Taiyo branded discs lately that came from Taiwan.
That would mean that Taiyo has also decided to cut costs. I hope I'm wrong
on this. I hope Taiyo still comes from Japan.

You can find Taiyo discs for sale all over the internet. In most retail
stores, I only know of one brand of disc that actually uses Taiyo Yuden
discs these days. If you look for "Maxell Pro," discs, you will probably
get Taiyo.

Lots of companies slap their names on a disc, but, only a few factories
around the world make discs.

Hewlett Packard, Maxell, TDK: They don't make discs. They buy from a
factory which will slap their names on the disc.

If you buy a regular "Maxell" brand, you will probably get discs from CMC
Magnetics of Taiwan. If you buy a TDK branded disc, you will probably get
discs from Ritek of Taiwan.

Hoever, if you buy "Maxell Pro" (look for the "Pro" in the product name),
you will probably get Taiyo Yuden discs. Look at the fine print on the
Maxell Pro package. If it says "Made in Japan," you're in luck. Those are
the good ones.

Taiyo discs are pretty good. They might be all you need to relieve any
indexing problems.

If people complain that your indexed discs don't work, and you've already
tried Taiyo's, then you will have to buy some Mitsui discs (MAM-A) and try
them before you say the process is impossible.

All I know is, I've burned a whole bunch of discs with index marks in long
audio files and my Jeep and an old Sony audio player which are just about as
picky as can be--play MAM-A discs without problems. Taiyo's sometimes give
me problems. Ritek and CMC Magnetics almost always give me fits in these
two players.

Good luck.

Whew! Why did I write so much? Because I think you might be trying to
distribute lectures to friends who missed the class. Or maybe you are doing
doing study sessions with others as you listen to recorded lectures?
Whatever. Hope this helps with learning.

Once you get good at this, it's time to step up to video. Record the
lectures on camera and save DVD's of the lectures.

//rus//

Nero 5.5: mixed mode CD, why data on track 1? [email protected] Cdr 20 July 22nd 04 01:02 AM
DVD drives and "last/previous track" button? Makberto Cdr 2 June 8th 04 08:08 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Has anyone burnt an 80-min CD-R on a 7200i / CDD3610 under Linux? Paul Cdr 0 February 22nd 04 09:00 PM
NERO problem - last track of music cd-r is silent Steve Cdr 1 July 10th 03 11:44 AM