Smartphone to PC file transfer?

Old April 4th 14, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,free.usenet,free.spirit
(PeteCresswell)

Default Smartphone to PC file transfer?

Per John Doe:
Requiring a file manager
with LAN isn't my idea of easy file transfer between devices. Easy
file transfer between devices is when the device shows up like a
USB flash drive shows up automatically in Windows Explorer.

Might depend on what one calls "easy". For me, an instant WiFi
connection from anywhere in the house is easy and having to go down to
the computer and plug in a USB cable is less than easy.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 4th 14, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,free.usenet,free.spirit
Gene E. Bloch[_3_]

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 17:06:10 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per John Doe:
Requiring a file manager
with LAN isn't my idea of easy file transfer between devices. Easy
file transfer between devices is when the device shows up like a
USB flash drive shows up automatically in Windows Explorer.

Might depend on what one calls "easy". For me, an instant WiFi
connection from anywhere in the house is easy and having to go down to
the computer and plug in a USB cable is less than easy.

I would recommend a 20 meter USB cable with the B end in your living
room. More precisely, I would recommend it, except that it's a stupid
idea. Its only merit is that it's *my own* stupid idea :-)

Total aside: I'm listening to some music by Respighi streaming over the
Internet, but the CD at the station is apparently faulty, and it's
skipping like mad. Ah, modern technology!

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old April 4th 14, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Ken Springer

On 4/4/14 11:46 AM, John Doe wrote:
Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of
computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.
My next smartphone definitely will. That's just critical here.

John, sit back and relax, and analyze your problem. Basically, your
problem is age of the iPhone. Not the fact that is an iPhone. Plus a
mix of OSes and your desire to use your network. In a way, you're like
me, wanting our equipment to do something that just isn't possible...
yet. It will come, it always has for me.

So what if it works on a Galaxy S3 and S4. The S3 was released in
May/June, 2012, depending on the country. The S4 was released March,
2013. Your iPhone 3G was released
June, 2008. Realistically, do you expect a 6 year old cell phone to
have the same capabilities as a 2 year old cell phone?

I have a Windows smartphone, circa 2007. I doubt I can transfer via
LAN. But never had a need to. And to sync the phone, ActiveSync and
USB cable is required. There was no cloud in those days, AFAIK,
although Apple may have had a rudimentary system. In 2009, OS X had
Mobile Me, a precursor to the cloud, and all Apple devices and computers
could sync wirelessly. Does anyone know if Windows had a similar
feature? Did Android even exist?

FWIW, I have a Google Nexus 7 2013 tablet, Android 4.4 Kit Kat
installed, and I had to install file management software in order to
transfer files over my network.

To solve your problem, you simply need a cross platform file management
program that works with all your equipment. The 3G has iOS 4, ancient
in today's world. You may not be able to find any software for this.
It's an age problem more than an OS problem. For newer iPhones, there's
a number of file management programs that apparently will do what you want.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old April 4th 14, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
sticks

On 4/4/2014 5:11 PM, Ken Springer wrote:

To solve your problem, you simply need a cross platform file management
program that works with all your equipment. The 3G has iOS 4, ancient
in today's world. You may not be able to find any software for this.
It's an age problem more than an OS problem. For newer iPhones, there's
a number of file management programs that apparently will do what you want.

I have a 3GS and am running iOS 6.1.6. Don't know if the 3G can be
updated further.

Old April 4th 14, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
...winston

John Doe wrote, On 4/4/2014 1:46 PM:
Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of
computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.
My next smartphone definitely will. That's just critical here.

What type of data would you like to transfer from your iP3G.
- email, pdf, pictures, etc.

3rd party products are available to copy your phone's music, movie,
pictures. iTunes also provides the option to drag and drop files to your pc.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps
Old April 4th 14, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Ken Springer

On 4/4/14 4:12 PM, sticks wrote:
On 4/4/2014 5:11 PM, Ken Springer wrote:

To solve your problem, you simply need a cross platform file management
program that works with all your equipment. The 3G has iOS 4, ancient
in today's world. You may not be able to find any software for this.
It's an age problem more than an OS problem. For newer iPhones, there's
a number of file management programs that apparently will do what you want.

I have a 3GS and am running iOS 6.1.6. Don't know if the 3G can be
updated further.

Since I don't own any iPhones, I didn't know the 3G could be updated
with a newer iOS. If John's phone does have iOS 6 on it, there is a
file management app in the App Store that looks to solve John's problem.
It's a whopping $2. LOL

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file...584806191?mt=8

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old April 4th 14, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Paul

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

Geez, I only have 15 meters of USB cable. (Three of these, end to end.)
Now I'll have to go out and buy another one.

http://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-2...e~USB2FAAEXT15

Paul
Old April 5th 14, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

In its very next post, says "I don't own any iPhones"...

Old April 5th 14, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

What I really need the information, the question will be more specific,
since it's obviously being lost...

Old April 5th 14, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
John Doe

"(PeteCresswell)" x y.Invalid wrote:

Per John Doe:

Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of
computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.
My next smartphone definitely will. That's just critical here.

I'm sure Apple's figured that out, but it does not seem to fit
into their paradigm.

Considering how much money they've made off with the iPhone,
obviously they don't have to. But it does suck for me as a PC
user.

Make your next smartphone and Android device and the problem
will go away. You will need a file manager that does LAN
stuff... but there's plenty of those and they're free. I use
"ES File Explorer".

Unfortunately, at least on my iPhone 3G, keeping LAN enabled
drains batteries. Not as quickly as the phone connection being
enabled, but apparently faster than without LAN being enabled.

But I'm sure they have that sorted out by now too.

transfer file Tony Pacc Dell Computers 4 January 15th 07 09:17 PM
help with file transfer to laptop JC General 2 December 7th 05 02:12 AM
update on file transfer Al Dente Dell Computers 0 July 11th 05 12:59 AM
File Transfer Wizard vs. IE Clifton Dell Computers 9 July 19th 04 08:55 PM
USB File Transfer Cables? Michael P Gabriel General Hardware 0 December 27th 03 03:05 PM