transfer file

Old January 15th 07, 06:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Pacc

Default transfer file

Can you transfer a couple of files from my old Dell to my new Dell using one
of those small usb drives,Circuit City has a 1gb kingston technologies Data
Traveler USB drive on sale for 19.99.Thanks

Old January 15th 07, 06:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

sure you can. they behave just like floppies. once connected to you usb
port you will find that a new drive letter appears in 'my computer'. the
only issue may stop you is if your old computer is so old that it does not
have a usb port.

Old January 15th 07, 11:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Pacc

can these things be erased and used again?Yes I do have 2 usb ports on the
old computer--windows 98SE.

Old January 15th 07, 01:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
can these things be erased and used again?Yes I do have 2 usb ports on the
old computer--windows 98SE.

yup
removeable hard drives basicly

Old January 15th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

Yes, they act like hard drives, you can erase them, reuse them, format
them, etc.

Note, however, Windows 98 and 98SE need drivers to "see" these devices,
and drivers may or may not be available. There are 3 possibilities:

-A driver comes with the device on a CD or floppy (rare)
-A driver does not come with the device but is available on the mfgrs
web site (most common)
-No driver exists, period (sometimes)

Windows version later than 98SE generally do not need drivers, but there
is some variability in this from particular device to particular device.