Memtest86 settings?

Old November 15th 04, 05:24 PM
Dr.Gonzo

Default Memtest86 settings?

Which settings (options) do you use when testing memory with Memtest86? I
have 2 512MB DDR modules from Kingmax that throw out a bunch of errors if i
use most "agressive" Memtest settings, but work fine if i just let it run
it's default tests (i.e. i just let it boot from floppy and don't touch
anything). Is this normal or should I return these modules? They're still
under warranty. Btw, these errors occur even if I use the lowest memory
settings

Thanks!

--
"Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit..."

Old November 15th 04, 08:47 PM
Mike

Which settings (options) do you use when testing memory with Memtest86? I
have 2 512MB DDR modules from Kingmax that throw out a bunch of errors if i
use most "agressive" Memtest settings, but work fine if i just let it run
it's default tests (i.e. i just let it boot from floppy and don't touch
anything). Is this normal or should I return these modules? They're still
under warranty. Btw, these errors occur even if I use the lowest memory
settings

Thanks!

I always use the default settings. I only use memtest86 in the event I've been
experiencing blue screens or lockups. My system is normally very stable indeed,
99% of the time past problems have nearly always been the cause of bad memory.
It last occurred when I added a second 512meg stick of twinmos memory, memtest
showed there was errors in some memory locations, I swapped it out for a
replacement stick and it then passed all the tests okay, and no more blue
screens. :-))

Mike
Old November 16th 04, 03:01 AM
Steve Wolfe

Well that's just it. My system works fine with any memory setting, but
this
damn Memtest just bugs me... I mean, logic dictates that a good memory

stick
should pass any test without throwing out errors no matter how agressive
memory testing is. Or does it?

I've had a stick go bad without memtest being able to find a problem. I
could run memtest on them for a week straight, and never see an error - but
*any* machine I put the stick in would start having blue screens/seg
faults/lockups/etc.. The vendor (Crucial) replaced the stick with no
questions asked, and everything was fine after that.

I really need some more feedback on this.
Say, would you try and test your memory with all Memtest settings set to

max
(like "test all memory") and see if it starts acting up. You don't even

have
to run the whole test, it should start throwing out errors almost

instantly.

Memory failure isn't always as simple as a good or failed cell. Whether
a particular memory cell fails can depend on things like the pattern of data
stored in cells around it. When memtest *does* find errors on bad sticks
for me, it is very rare for the errors to pop up right away - it usually
takes a little while. I wouldn't consider it reasonably sure unless memtest
can run for at least a couple of days without throwing errors.

steve

Old November 16th 04, 04:48 AM
Michael Brown

Steve Wolfe wrote:
Well that's just it. My system works fine with any memory setting,
but this damn Memtest just bugs me... I mean, logic dictates that a
good memory stick should pass any test without throwing out errors
no matter how agressive memory testing is. Or does it?

I've had a stick go bad without memtest being able to find a
problem. I could run memtest on them for a week straight, and never
see an error - but *any* machine I put the stick in would start
having blue screens/seg faults/lockups/etc.. The vendor (Crucial)
replaced the stick with no questions asked, and everything was fine
after that.

That's sorta the converse ... a "good" memory stick should pass every test
you can dream up, including memtest86. A "bad" stick may get a pass from
memtest86, but fail in other tests. So if a particular test fails (such as
memtest86) then I would say that the stick is faulty.

Incidentally, there's also power issues in how well memory works. Memtest86
applies little or no stess to the CPU, GPU, hard disks, etc, and the load is
very constant. This is the "best case" scenario for memory voltage supply.
Under "normal" operating conditions, such as running Prime95 or 3D games or
similar, the power draw from the rest of the system is heavier, and you get
more noise on the supply lines from the constantly changing load. This can
push borderline memory (that is OK when nothing else is loaded) to the point
of failure.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old November 16th 04, 09:59 AM
Dr.Gonzo

In message: ,
Michael Brown typed:

That's sorta the converse ... a "good" memory stick should pass every
test you can dream up, including memtest86. A "bad" stick may get a
pass from memtest86, but fail in other tests. So if a particular test
fails (such as memtest86) then I would say that the stick is faulty.

So... I guess i should return it then right? But I worry, what if the new
stick behaves in the same manor? Now at least I have two *identical* sticks,
who knows what i'll end up with if i opt for a new one... Damn it. Should I
return it? Again, I must stress that I had *no* blue screens or **** like
that, teh memory seems to work fine, but there's always that little voice
that says it will mess up my data in some way sooner or later. And I had
just such problem with a faulty memory stick in the past, which really
messed up some of my files while copying, introducing massive errors. This
data was later irretrivable...

--
"Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit..."

Old November 16th 04, 01:44 PM
Mike

In message: ,
Michael Brown typed:

[...]

Before returning it, have you tried increasing the memory voltage a extra notch
or 2, my Twinmos memory gives loads of errors at the default 2.5v buts its fine
when its upped to 2.6v or more.
Old November 17th 04, 02:27 AM
Steve Wolfe

Before returning it, have you tried increasing the memory voltage a extra
notch
or 2, my Twinmos memory gives loads of errors at the default 2.5v buts its

fine
when its upped to 2.6v or more.

If a stick wouldn't live up to its rated values at the rated voltage, I'd
return it in a heartbeat - even if an extra .1 volt did mask the problem.

steve