Which CPU?

Old April 11th 04, 08:43 AM
SomeOne

Default Which CPU?

Hi,

This summer I want to start building a new PC. I am wondering which CPU to
select for this project.
I would like to use a CPU (AMD or Intel) with a clockspeed 2.5GHz.
Also I'd like to be able to significantly overclock the CPU.

Last time I checked (Dec-2003) I heard that AMD has locked their new
families against overclocking. So, I'm afraid that the possibilities for
overclocking new chips will be not so easy.

I was wondering if there would be some overview (roadmap?) of the current
CPUs on the market their native clockspeed, their overclocking capability
and the method by which this can be achieved (BIOS settings or
modification of the chip).

If such an overview exists I haven't found it. I was looking on
overclockers.com but couldn't find any total overview.

Can someone post an appropriate URL?

Thanks,
Some One
Old April 11th 04, 11:57 AM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:43:37 +0000 (UTC), SomeOne
wrote:

Hi,

This summer I want to start building a new PC. I am wondering which CPU to
select for this project.

Price - cheap or no limit, 32 or 64 bit

I would like to use a CPU (AMD or Intel) with a clockspeed 2.5GHz.
Also I'd like to be able to significantly overclock the CPU.

The AMD XP2500 [ Barton ] shares the same multiplier as the AMD XP3200

Abit NF7-S Revision 2 MOBO will allow you to increase the FSB from 166
to 200, this will give you an AMD XP3200 for the price of a 2500 and
no change of multiplier will be required.

It can be done on cheap as chips memory, so cheap in fact that
anything less than a gig of memory is parsimonious.

Last time I checked (Dec-2003) I heard that AMD has locked their new
families against overclocking. So, I'm afraid that the possibilities for
overclocking new chips will be not so easy.

True from week 3903 [ ish ] and they can not be unlocked although the
AMD XP mobiles are much the same price and are still unlocked, need
less voltage, run cooler, and are better overclockers.

I was wondering if there would be some overview (roadmap?) of the current
CPUs on the market their native clockspeed, their overclocking capability
and the method by which this can be achieved (BIOS settings or
modification of the chip).

No idea, someone else may know !

If such an overview exists I haven't found it. I was looking on
overclockers.com but couldn't find any total overview.

Can someone post an appropriate URL?

Thanks,
Some One

BoroLad
Old April 11th 04, 05:12 PM
nondisputandum.com - indisputably nondisputandum

wrote:

[...]

I''ve a 3.0 gig pentium 4 800 FSB with half a gig cache overclocked to
3.6 gig on a ASUS p4P800-E Deluxe motherboard only using the
multiplication factor and equally downgrading the ram's mhz so it will
again run at 400 Mhz once multiplied... the voltage remained at 1.5 V
but could be upped to 1.55 if the system draines to much energy,..
what is not the case now.
I did not compose that myself but i've got a pc builder that I trust
;-) it runs smooth, extra fan on the proc (Coolmaster Gear) and a fan
to pull in air in the IDream case (roundabout 50 Euro's = x 1,2 in
USD) That and 2 gig ram,... and I'm a happy man.. let's say slightly
exited ;-)
Anyway,... overclocking seems simple using F8 during boot... it's all
a software thing with Asus.. the Idream case has a led digital system
that give the temperature inside... XP stability test never upped the
temperature of the proc above 45 celcium or themotherboard above 40
celcius... Asus delivers a prog named PC Probe that helps you to check
the temperature & fan monitoring etcetera...
Old April 11th 04, 06:08 PM
Alan

I''ve a 3.0 gig pentium 4 800 FSB with half a gig cache

LOL

some kind of fururistic processor you have with a 512mb cache...

where can i buy one? :-P

Old April 11th 04, 09:20 PM
Hamman

"SomeOne" wrote in message
[...]

At this point in time, i would go for one of the newer socket AMD64 chips
with an nForce3 Motherboard. Should be futureproof for WinXP-64A when its
released later this year.
Dont get the FX-51 or FX-53, theyre not worth £500

hamman

Old April 11th 04, 09:30 PM
nondisputandum.com - indisputably nondisputandum

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:08:56 +0000 (UTC), "Alan"
wrote:

I''ve a 3.0 gig pentium 4 800 FSB with half a gig cache

LOL

some kind of fururistic processor you have with a 512mb cache...

where can i buy one? :-P

Hèhè.. perhaps wishfull thinking... come ans see the nexr decade..
pentium X with half a gig cache... untill now, well stick to meg...
Old April 11th 04, 10:34 PM
Cuzman

"Hamman" wrote in message

" At this point in time, i would go for one of the newer socket AMD64
chips... "

AMD sneaked out the Athlon64 2800+ recently. Socket 754 will currently
allow upgrades to an Athlon 64 3400+, given that the next releases look like
being on a different socket.

Athlon 64 2800+ story:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03...ks_out_athlon/

Brief AMD Roadmap story:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03...thlon_64_fx53/

Old April 12th 04, 12:03 AM
Ed Forsythe

www.overclockers.com
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

Old April 12th 04, 08:53 AM
atwifa

I''ve a 3.0 gig pentium 4 800 FSB with half a gig cache overclocked to
3.6 gig on a ASUS p4P800-E Deluxe motherboard only using the
multiplication factor

you have an unlocked engineering sample?

Old April 12th 04, 09:25 AM
SomeOne

nondisputandum.com - indisputably nondisputandum wrote in
:

wrote:

Hi,

This summer I want to start building a new PC. I am wondering which
CPU to select for this project.

I''ve a 3.0 gig pentium 4 800 FSB with half a gig cache overclocked
to 3.6 gig on a ASUS p4P800-E Deluxe motherboard only using the

I was under the impression that Pentium's can't be overclocked as they are
locked.