Need help with water cooling

Old July 17th 03, 07:35 PM
Mr. Teatime

Default Need help with water cooling

I bought a water cooling kit from maplin in the UK but the instructions are
useless (Translated from japanese I think), so I don't know how to set it up
at all. the URL for the kit is
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...469&Products=1

I also bought a large radiator seperately to go with it:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...473&Products=1

Is there a website or somewhere that will help me. I cannot find a
manufacturer's website at all.

Old July 17th 03, 07:47 PM
Tony Scott

Mr T,

You evidently haven't bought from WetandChillychips, but their site does
provide some photos etc whoch might be of some help.
http://www.wetandchillychips.com/
You need to fit the block to the processor, the fan and radiator assembly
where it can dissipate the heat - many people fit OUTSIDE the case, but if
you fit INSIDE, be aware that cool air normally enters lower front and exits
top rear! The placement will depend upon the case that you have.

Also make very sure that the flow is pump to CPU to Radiator and back to
pump. Also that the pump is ALWAYS ON when the computer is on. If it is 12v,
then attach it to a 'spare' HDD power cable. If it is 240v, then make d*arn
sure that it is switched ON with the computer power!

Depending on the chip, exteior temperature etc, you should be aiming for
less than 50 deg C chip temperature constantly.

Good luck

Old July 18th 03, 12:04 AM
Mr. Teatime

Ok, I've set it up. So far, so good, I've overclocked from 3.06 ghz and now
running at 3.17Ghz with CPU at 30 degrees centigrade, according to
motherboard monitor. I raised the DRAM voltage by 0.1v (the only option in
the BIOS), and raised the CPU voltage by 1.7 or something, can't remember.
Is there a guide to what I should do to test overclock limits and so on? Or
how much voltage to increase etc - I'm using a gigabit BIOS and motherboard,
and whilst 30 degrees CPU is pretty damn low, even overclocked a bit, I'm
not sure what to do next. I'm uncertain as to how memory could overheat (I
fitted an extra fan there though), and also, the I get a 'check system
health!' message at startup even though my PC boots up fine. So can anyone
help... thx,

Old July 18th 03, 12:33 AM
Mr. Teatime

how much thermal paste should I use - I just covered the whole cooling block
with paste, not thickly, but enough so the whole thing was covered. Was this
too much?

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
What CPU do you Have, and what motherboard?

1. If the instructions are not adequate, then you should contact the

vendor
from which you ordered (or pay them a visit, up close and personal.) If
they can't (or won't), get a refund. There is no reason to pay ~ 80 UK
pounds (~ $160 US ) for little more than a pump, a cooling block, a bit of
tube, and mounting hardware that you can't use. That said, installing

water
cooling for a CPU is not brain surgery, and directions should not be
strictly necessary. You could try adapting the instructions from another
water cooling system or get help from a neighbor with some mechanical
skills. As long your setup does not leak onto the motherboard or other
components, then no harm will come from a bit of exrimentation; and even

if
such leaks DO occur, then it is VERY unlikely that permanent damage will
occur (just cut the power, dry the system with a hair dryer and diffuser,
then try again [mpre or less].

2. The radiator/fan combination you list seems grossly inadequate for a
Pentium 4 class CPU - a water cooling system is little better than a good
air cooling system with the same fan. Preventing more than a few degrees
temperature rise while transporting all the heat produced by a Pentium 4
under heavy load requires a minimum of ~ 200 cu.ft./minute air flow

whether
or not water transport is an intermediate step.

3. If all other options fail you, get an elementry physics text book and

contact thermometer, then strike out on your own. A picture is worth a
thousand words, so any text only reply is a very inefficient way of
providing an explanation of exactly how to install your water cooling
system, but your first choice ought to be returing both purchases. Then,
before ordering a new cooling system, carefully check the installation
instructions, use value vs. price, and suitability for the task.

4. Principles of installation:

a. Try complete assembly and operation out of the system; better to
discover potential problems BEFORE you try it INSIDE the system.
b. the waterblock should be mounted on the CPU in much the same way

as
an air cooled heatsink (be careful to use the correct amount of thermal
compound)
c. check ALL water connections
d. placement of the water cooling components in the water

circulation
circuit are not critical EXCEPT that the waterblock MUST be downstream of
the air-cooled radiator
e. just as in an automotive brake system, you must purge air from

your
water cooling system to get proper operation

5. Water circuit description

a. Starting with the waterblock a nominal order would be

waterblock
thermal paste
flexible tube
air-cooled radiator
flexible tube
filling tube for liquid coolant/ air purge output (maybe the

same)
flexible tube
water pump
air-cooled radiator
flexible tube

b. the water circulation path must be a closed loop (not open to
atmospheric pressure), otherwise the pump must work against the height
differences in the water circulation path and will cease to work if the
differential is greater than ~ 30 inches
c. it's a good idea to start the pump and air-cooling fan BEFORE
starting the computer system

That's really all there is to it.

Phil Weldon,

Old July 18th 03, 03:37 AM
Phil Weldon

The amount of thermal compound needed depends on how smooth, flat, and
parallel your CPU and waterblock are. Ideally the layer should be almost
translucent. After applying thermal compound and clamping the waterblock to
the CPU, remove the waterblock and check that the thermal compound
completely covered the CPU surface.

You will likely be reinstalling the waterblock/CPU more than a few times;
the original application of thermal compound will not be critical since you
will learn the amount that gives the best results through concrete practice
(always a good check for theory.)

I hope this is helpful.

Phil Weldon,

Water Cooling. Morgan Sales General 2 October 23rd 04 10:22 PM
Water cooling - noise level? Gareth Tuckwell General 2 October 12th 04 02:17 AM
Water cooling? Which one? SysCold General 5 August 11th 04 02:26 AM
Water Cooling Daniel P AMD x86-64 Processors 10 March 30th 04 11:27 PM
water cooling on athlon XP macdaddy Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 10th 03 05:43 AM