New 8400, XPS gen 3 systems - can your systems play current games (Far Cry...)?

Old August 7th 04, 04:58 AM
scooby

Default New 8400, XPS gen 3 systems - can your systems play current games (Far Cry...)?

If you have one of these new systems with PCI express, and one of the
new radeon X800 video cards, could you please indicate whether your
system is able to play current games (such as Far Cry, Doom 3, ...),
without crashing, freezing, lock-ups.
There are multiple ongoing threads in the Dell Support Forums by users
complaining how they are unable to play games on their "gaming
computers":

- forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dim_video
- forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=game-gen

Dell is saying little, and it is not clear at all how prevalent this
problem is.
Old August 7th 04, 12:21 PM
WSZsr

I have an 8400 with the following specs:

P4 3.0
1 GB DDR2 533 RAM
80GB and 160GB SATA drives
120GB USB 2.0 drive
PCI Express X800 SE video
Integrated audio
DirectX 9.0c
ATI 4.9 beta drivers optimized for Doom 3
Latest IIntel chipset driver.
Clean install of XP Pro (SP2 RC2 slipstreamed)

I can play Doom 3 for hours without crashing.

om...

Old August 7th 04, 02:30 PM
The Social Outcast

"WSZsr" wrote in message
I have an 8400 with the following specs:

P4 3.0
1 GB DDR2 533 RAM
80GB and 160GB SATA drives
120GB USB 2.0 drive
PCI Express X800 SE video
Integrated audio
DirectX 9.0c
ATI 4.9 beta drivers optimized for Doom 3
Latest IIntel chipset driver.
Clean install of XP Pro (SP2 RC2 slipstreamed)

I can play Doom 3 for hours without crashing.

Does that mean your system *does* crash, but not for hours, or you're not
aware of any problem?