Startup w/o CPU installed

Old January 20th 05, 12:11 PM
Jann Mikkelsen

Default Startup w/o CPU installed

Greetings,

I'm still pretty inexperienced, and this might be a dumb question.
I have an older homebuilt pc, where the psu broke down. I think it shorted
or something, because it made a 'funny' sound and I saw a single spark or
two right before it died.Luckily only two days after I made backup, so only
my latest data was lost.

I've put in a new one, and there is light on the mobo, but if I try to start
it up, the fans and everything starts up, it beeps once, then a pause and a
longer beep which continues untill it shuts down by itself. At no time is
video present. I've tried with a different ram module, same thing. And
removed all expansion cards and changed the graphics card for another one.
Disconnected all drives.
I tried starting it up with only the cpu in, and got the same beeps and shut
down.
I also tried the various trouble shooting that is mentioned in the manual.
Clearing bios and the like.

If I remove the cpu, and start the pc, and there is no beeps this time, is
it a sign that it is the cpu that is the problem, or is it just that the
motherboard never gets to the error part because no cpu is present ??

The system is not new, and getting a new mobo to go with the cpu and
peripherals wont be overly expensive, but its a raid system so before I get
something new I want to see if I can access it without making to many major
changes, to salvage the last two days worth of data.

Tia,

Jann Mikkelsen

Old January 20th 05, 01:16 PM
Peter

In article ,
says...
[...]

You haven't told us the motherboard, cpu, memory etc that you are
putting this system together with. This would help to get a more
precise answer. Otherwise it's just guess-work, especially with regard
to the beeps.

--
Pete Ives
Old January 20th 05, 01:57 PM

Jann Mikkelsen wrote:
[...]

I think that if the CPU is removed most computer won't even try
booting. They'll just let the fans etc. spin up and that's about it!

Old January 20th 05, 03:03 PM
Conor

In article , Jann Mikkelsen says...
If I remove the cpu, and start the pc, and there is no beeps this time, is
it a sign that it is the cpu that is the problem, or is it just that the
motherboard never gets to the error part because no cpu is present ??

The system is not new, and getting a new mobo to go with the cpu and
peripherals wont be overly expensive, but its a raid system so before I get
something new I want to see if I can access it without making to many major
changes, to salvage the last two days worth of data.

For the 7,000,000th time.

Minimum components needed to power up a system.

Motherboard,
CPU,
Memory,
Graphics card (if not onboard)

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Old January 21st 05, 04:59 AM
Andrew Neville

I had a similar problem with one of my MOBOs once.

It turned out that the PSU I was using wasn't giving enough output.

when you say you put in a 'new' one, was it literally new and what
was its wattage?

or did you put in 'another' one?

Andrew

Jann 01/20/05 11:11pm

[...]

Windows xp sometimes hangs on startup Shiva General 3 February 11th 05 06:50 PM
On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
BIOS is not installed Jack General 2 January 30th 05 04:46 PM
Is it time for a new computer? Travis King Overclocking AMD Processors 12 July 6th 04 06:22 PM
Freeze on startup Von Heler General 1 June 1st 04 12:53 AM