New XP Install on D:Drive Keep Applications & Data on C: Drive

Old October 3rd 03, 04:57 PM
Dennis

Default New XP Install on D:Drive Keep Applications & Data on C: Drive

I want to move Windows XP all by its lonesome self to a new second
drive (say D, and keep existing application programs and data on my
existing C:drive WITHOUT XP on this drive. This is NOT a dual OS, I
just want one XP OS, on a new physical D:drive separated from my
applications and data that should remain on my C:drive. Why do this
you may ask?

Well with applications, data and XP OS all on a single C-drive (my
current situation), I don't want to do XP repairs and reinstalls
(especially clean ones) and putting my applications & data at risk.
I'm having trouble with XP now and have been advised to do a new XP
install. Even if this really isn't necesary, some day it likely will
be. There are a jillion POSTS about XP freeze-ups and other troubles
with reinstall recommendations! If XP is on a second physical drive by
itself, then it's easier to manage and there is less risk to
applications & data. You can call this B. Gates Windows insurance!
Second hard drives are pretty cheap now and I won't even have to pay
MS a dime.

What is the recommended way to do this? I know how to work BIOS boot
changes and how to manage master-slave and primary-secondary drive
configutations and changes.

One suggestion is to install the D: drive, then boot to a floppy (say
the floppy supplied by Maxtor with the new drive) and just copy C:-all
to D:. Then, physically remove the C-drive and do a new XP install to
D: (don't care what happens to applications & data on D. Next,
configure D: as the boot drive, reconnect C: ,rip out the original XP
OS from the C-drive, and finally rip out any remaining applications &
data on D drive. Wa-la, Applications and data remain on the C-drive,
Windows XP all by itself on the D-drive. Will this strategy work? What
do I need to watch out for. It sounds deceptively straight forward. I
will make sure both drives are the same brand (Maxtor) if this even
matters. Can anyone offer or point to some step by step instructions
how to do this? I don't need any fancy partioning, just apps & data on
C:, XP on D:. Plain and simple.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
Old October 3rd 03, 09:59 PM
Shep©

On 3 Oct 2003 08:57:30 -0700, In this world we created
(Dennis) wrote :

[...]

I'd do it the other way round as such.
Copy present install to new drive.
Swap drives.
Blank older drive.
Un-install and re-install applications to old drive.
I run a dual boot Win98SE and XP pro system.
I install all my programs to a Myprogs folder on a D partition on my
main drive(your 2nd older drive after the swap).
I have my XP on my older 2nd drive as NTFS so that win98 can't see it
and all downloads and saves go to the D partition so both O/S can see
them.
You don't need this as you only have the 1 O/S
This allows me to keep my Win98 and XP system drives with a small
enough data footprint to image them to 1 CDR/W disk each

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old October 4th 03, 02:57 AM
DaveW

XP, if it is the only OS, HAS to be on the C drive for it to boot. You
CANNOT run it off of the D drive.

--
DaveW

om...

Old October 4th 03, 11:47 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 01:57:49 GMT, In this world we created "DaveW"
wrote :

XP, if it is the only OS, HAS to be on the C drive for it to boot. You
CANNOT run it off of the D drive.

You can if you use a boot loader or the BIOS to change the boot order

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old October 4th 03, 08:15 PM

I use "C" for OS (XP, 9x), "D" for programs and "E" for data.

I find however that even when I assign progams to load to "D" that XP
and 9x all insist that many files still be installed on "C" and then
there are some programs which will only load to "C".

Having as much data as possible on "E" makes it easier to find for backup.