First Homebuilt alive and well

Old September 20th 03, 04:57 AM
John A

Default First Homebuilt alive and well

My first homebuilt is alive and well, thanks to all the great info on this
newgroup and the customer comments on newegg.com. For those of you looking
for "known-to-work" configurations (I know I was during my investigation)
this is mine:

MaxTop Mid case w/350W 2Fan CSX147
Shuttle AN35N Ultra
ATI/Radeon 7000 64M DDR AGP (I am not a gamer)
AMD ATHLON XP 2500 Barton
2 sticks of GEIL PC3200 256M DDR
Maxtor 120G 8M cache ATA 133 hard drive
MITSUMI D359M3D Diskette drive
Liteon DVD +RW +R LDW-401S
Windows XP PRO

Everthing went together fine. Overclocking the FSB from 166 to 200 (400)
instantly turned my XP2500 into an XP3200. Here is some temperature data.
This case has a side case fan and a top case fan. The fan on the processor
was the AMD packaged fan.

Temps Idle:
board: 25
cpu: 30
power: 29

Temps with processor load with FSB 166 (333):
board: 30
cpu: 36
power: 33

Temps with processor load with FSB 200 (400)
board: 31
cpu: 40 (is this a safe temp??)
power: 35

Power supply voltages all appear within spec and stable (power supply QMAX
LC-B350ATX)

Note: The case came with two case fans (side and top) both blowing out and
the power supply fan blowing out. The case fans overpowered the power supply
fan and air seemed to actually flow into the power supply with it trying to
push the air out. I reversed the side case fan to blow in (directly on the
motherboard). This brought down all temps by 2+ degrees. This seems like a
better overall air flow (and my temperature sensors agree).

I ran Passmark (since it came with my Norton system works) and had to
following results:

Standard Clocking:
Overall sco 239
MFLOPS: 614

Overclocking:
Overall sco 274
MFLOPS: 761

The system has been running for a few days now and appears very stable.

--
John A