Printing photos from CD, they come with bad software?

Old February 18th 07, 07:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
mm

Default Printing photos from CD, they come with bad software?

I have gone to Walgreens and Kodak, and had my film develped and put
on CD, and the software on the CD seems terrible. I want to be able
to print pictures from the CD. What should I do?

Is there a film processor that provides good software, mabye even
software I can use for the 3 CD's I already have?

Walgreens developed the roll backwards, so that the first picture was
the last I took, which is ok, but it was upside down, which isn't so
bad since there was a button to flip it over, but every picture was
upside down of course, and there was no button to flip them all over
at once, and every time I load the pictures, I have to flip them all
over one at a time.

Then I went to the supermarket that used Kodak processing, and the
software wouldn't let me print anything unless I copied it to the
harddrive first. That seems totally unnecessary. And it keeps trying
to transfer the whole CD to the harddrive. It says "You have 15
seconds to stop this" everytime I make any reference to the CD. Plus,
when I put the CD in a second time, it tries to install the software
again. Doesn't seem to know it's right there on the harddrive. And I
do have a second CD from months ago when I was less organaized, and it
doesn't know that the software is installed already. Is this because
I don't keep software in the default location (which has a blank space
in the directory name, which I don't like)?

The kodak files are regular .jpg at least. I didn't check on the
Walghreens.

I hate to buy third party software, when supposedly software was
included, but is there a good program? I only want to print
occasionally, since I had one or two copies of every picture on the
roll printed already.

Better yet, is there a film processor that provides good software,
mabye even software I can use for the 3 CD's I already have?

Thanks

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Old February 19th 07, 03:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On 19-Feb-2007, "Dan G" wrote:

Plus,
when I put the CD in a second time, it tries to install the software
again. Doesn't seem to know it's right there on the harddrive. And I
do have a second CD from months ago when I was less organaized, and it
doesn't know that the software is installed already. Is this because
I don't keep software in the default location (which has a blank space
in the directory name, which I don't like)?

The kodak files are regular .jpg at least. I didn't check on the
Walghreens.

If the software is the only photo editing/printing one on the PC
then it may only be a matter of associating .jpg or whatever
format with the software, the "Open With" association.
You might be able to right click on a .jpg and from
the dropdown see "Open With" click this, then it
offers you a list of programs, select the software/program
you have, and tick the box "Always use this program to
open this filetype".
Old February 19th 07, 04:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
mm

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 09:34:57 +0000, milou wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 02:19:19 -0500, mm
wrote:

I have gone to Walgreens and Kodak, and had my film develped and put
on CD, and the software on the CD seems terrible. I want to be able
to print pictures from the CD. What should I do?

Is there a film processor that provides good software, mabye even
software I can use for the 3 CD's I already have?

Download Google's Picasa. It's free

Thanks a lot.

PS: It's 3 CDs without apostrophe.

Typo.

From: genius55
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:07:34 -0800
Subject: Can not launch Picasa 2
When I try to launch Picasa 2 I get the error message:
"Picasa2.exe file is linked to missing export Kernel32.DLL.
GetfilesizeEx" Me too!
and therefore this application does not launch.
But I checked Kernel32.DLL file do exist in my system in C:windows/
system directory and it is 460K file
Please advise how I fix this problem

From: Anthony
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:46:53 -0000
If you have Windows 98 or ME you need to install an older version of
Picasa: http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasa2-setup-1884.exe

Says this more clearly at
http://picasa.google.com/features/requirements.html

So I haven't installed this one yet, but it seems infintely more
likely to work.

Thank you.

Old February 19th 07, 04:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
mm

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:12:20 -0500, mm
wrote:

If you have Windows 98 or ME you need to install an older version of
Picasa: http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasa2-setup-1884.exe

Says this more clearly at
http://picasa.google.com/features/requirements.html

So I haven't installed this one yet, but it seems infintely more
likely to work.

Thank you.

To reply to myself, it also says he

* For a limited time, Microsoft® Windows 98 and ME users may download
an older version of Picasa.

I don't know what they mean by a limited time. I wouldn't expect
Google to be MS's enforcer, and I would think they would offer this
version as long as there is one person in the world who still can't
use the newer version. So I don't know why they would need to say a
limited time. But that's what it says.

Old February 19th 07, 10:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
mm

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:39:37 -0700, "Dan G" wrote:

Can't you just browse the CD and take your JPGs off it?

Sure, but what would I print it with then?

And wouldn't it be good to have a program that went straight from one
photo to the next?

.. .

Old February 20th 07, 10:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ron Baird

Greetings MM,

Film is a blank media until it is exposed. How it is exposed is a function
of the camera and its handling. If your pictures are upsidedown and
backwards, I suspect that the camera used to exposed the film wound the film
into the camera first and then fed the film out as needed. When the film is
later scanned to make a Picture CD, the images may appear in an incorrect
order due to how the camera managed the film. As you have noted, the images
can be easily flipped to correct orientation.

As a feature, a display of your pictures is offered when you insert your CD
into the CDROM. You can click on the 'Done' at the bottom right of the
screen. If you are using other software, just end the display. Also,
EasyShare is a cataloging program in that is transfers your images onto your
system and then provides all the tools to view, manage, print, and share
etc. Early versions of EasyShare did not feature the use or removeable media
but that changed with later versions. What I suggest, MM, is to get the
latest version of EasyShare from the Kodak web site, and then add your
Picture CD. It will ad them as a special feature and include them in your
collection. You can then select images, create albums etc. for printing and
sharing.

If not and you do not want to use the EasyShare software, insert the CD into
the CDROM and end the display program at the beginning. Once it has stopped,
click on the My Computer icon and look for the CDROM with the CD in it. When
you click on it you will see the contents of the CD. in early versions there
is a folder called Pictures. You should find your images there listed as JPG
files. You can move them to any location you like.

I am glad to help further if you have more questions.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old February 20th 07, 11:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Ron Baird wrote:
Greetings MM,

Film is a blank media until it is exposed. How it is exposed is a function
of the camera and its handling. If your pictures are upsidedown and
backwards, I suspect that the camera used to exposed the

Fuji
film wound the film
into the camera first and then fed the film out as needed. When the film is
later scanned to make a Picture CD, the images may appear in an incorrect
order due to how the camera managed the film. As you have noted, the images
can be easily flipped to correct orientation.

As a feature, a display of your pictures is offered when you insert your CD
into the CDROM. You can click on the 'Done' at the bottom right of the
screen. If you are using other software, just end the display. Also,
EasyShare is a cataloging program in that is transfers your images onto your
system and then provides all the tools to view, manage, print, and share
etc. Early versions of EasyShare did not feature the use or removeable media
but that changed with later versions. What I suggest, MM,

is to download Picassa. That is free and is there is a consensus that
it is the best of its type out there.
is to get the
latest version of EasyShare from the Kodak web site, and then add your
Picture CD. It will ad them as a special feature and include them in your
collection. You can then select images, create albums etc. for printing and
sharing.

using Picasa

And it is made by Google. They do not have any ulterior motive like Kodak.

Old July 19th 07, 11:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

milou wrote:
Download Google's Picasa. It's free
PS: It's 3 CDs without apostrophe.

Milou, I'm afraid that getting people to stop using apostrophes for
plurals may be a cause that's lost forever, even though doing so
introduces confusion regarding the correct use: for possessives.

There are some aspects of our writing that help cloud the issue -- and I
even see the venerated New York Times blowing it -- throwing in the
towel. I don't have a solution. In railroad publishing, I can offer this
illustration: The Pennsylvania Railroad had a locomotive: the K4. They
made a revision of the design, and the new class was named the "K4s."
Now, how are you going to write about a group of these engines?
K4ss,K4Ss, and in desperation, K4s's? They're all stinky, no?

So, we have the plural of locomotives, and they all have cowcatchers,
right, which we will address as follows: "...the locomotive's
cowcatcher's...," instead of "...the locomotives' cowcatchers..."

Bah. I'll move to France.

The only solution that I use in my own work is to write around the issue
-- simply find alternative ways of writing so that I don't get caught up
in the confusion; it's not so hard to write this way, actually.

Richard
Old July 20th 07, 03:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Richard Steinfeld wrote:
milou wrote:
[...]

Is it soon?

The only solution that I use in my own work is to write around the
issue -- simply find alternative ways of writing so that I don't get
caught up in the confusion; it's not so hard to write this way, actually.

Richard

Program for printing photos Yianni Printers 1 February 12th 07 07:24 AM
R300 printing 7x5" photos? Me Printers 4 December 4th 04 06:50 PM
Printing photos from a HP 930c CQMMAN Printers 2 December 4th 04 06:21 PM
Printing photos with white borders Dory Printers 2 August 6th 04 06:44 PM
Newbie: Question regarding printing photos Rich Printers 10 November 25th 03 10:58 AM