Epson ink cleaning

Old May 12th 07, 03:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nigel Andrews

Default Epson ink cleaning

I have the Epson R300 servicing manual. I can now get to the ink pads used
to absorb ink in the cleaning cycles and I want to clean them.
Is there a simple solution to flush the (now) drink ink out of the pads to
reuse them?

I have reset the printer a number of times when it called for service, due
to the ink pad 'life' expired. By now I am in danger of the ink pads being
at capacity and liable to spill the next cleaning cycle.

Nigel

Old May 12th 07, 03:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Nigel Andrews wrote:
I have the Epson R300 servicing manual. I can now get to the ink pads used
to absorb ink in the cleaning cycles and I want to clean them.
Is there a simple solution to flush the (now) drink ink out of the pads to
reuse them?

I have reset the printer a number of times when it called for service, due
to the ink pad 'life' expired. By now I am in danger of the ink pads being
at capacity and liable to spill the next cleaning cycle.

Nigel

Todays paper advertised a Canon IP4300 for $59.95. That is the price of
the ink and the printer is free. Why would you want to screw around
with a mess like that and waste your time?

Old May 12th 07, 03:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

"Nigel Andrews" wrote:
I have the Epson R300 servicing manual. I can now get to the ink pads used
to absorb ink in the cleaning cycles and I want to clean them.
Is there a simple solution to flush the (now) drink ink out of the pads to
reuse them?

I have reset the printer a number of times when it called for service, due
to the ink pad 'life' expired. By now I am in danger of the ink pads being
at capacity and liable to spill the next cleaning cycle.

Nigel

Nigel
Running cold water, lots of it. Use a stainless steel tub or sink, wear vilyl
or similar gloves and be careful of splashing the inky water onto anything
inportant. You will be surprised at how long it takes to get the ink out, there
is heaps of it. Gently squeezing the pads as they are flushed helps enormously
(hence the gloves, or accept stained hands for a few days). After they are
clean (or near as), squeeze them dry and let them dry thoroughly outside or in
an airing cupboard. Once thouroughly dry they can be reused, you may have to
sort of flatten them out as they may become slightly distorted this is best
done before they are dry.
Good luck.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 12th 07, 08:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nigel Andrews

Tony,
Thanks for that good advice. I had assumed, obviously wrongly, that the ink
once dry was not water soluble.
I had heard people speak of using ammonia (Windex) to dissolve blocked ink
jets.

Thanks again

Nigel

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old May 12th 07, 10:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Certainly not with the R300, which is a dye and water soluble printer
ink. The Durabrite inks once fully dry at relatively waterproof, as are
the Ultrachrome.

Art

Nigel Andrews wrote:

Tony,
Thanks for that good advice. I had assumed, obviously wrongly, that the ink
once dry was not water soluble.
I had heard people speak of using ammonia (Windex) to dissolve blocked ink
jets.

Thanks again

Nigel

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old May 12th 07, 11:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Nigel
You are more than welcome, the trick is to be careful about spillage. Have some
paper towels handy. Having said that you will be fine if you are prepared.
I just noticed that you got two other replies; one from Art Entlich who, as
always, offered sound information and another from someone who never does (hint
- his handle starts with M and ends with E) where he suggested using a washing
machine; something I know you will not countenance. He is a misanthrope and I
am sorry you have come across him
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Tony

"Nigel Andrews" wrote:
Tony,
Thanks for that good advice. I had assumed, obviously wrongly, that the ink
once dry was not water soluble.
I had heard people speak of using ammonia (Windex) to dissolve blocked ink
jets.

Thanks again

Nigel

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old May 12th 07, 02:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Cliff Hartle[_2_]

Have you looked into doing something like this.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=19081

It reroutes the waste ink into a container. I have a link to the complete
directions on another computer if you want it.

news

Old May 13th 07, 11:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Rerouting your waste ink tube is a good idea, as it avoids the whole
waste ink pad issue, contains the waste ink so it can be discarded in a
reasonable way, and it gives you some idea how much ink is wasted each
cleaning which is a sobering experience and probably explains why Epson
isn't in any rush to change the waste ink storage system. ;-)

Art

Cliff Hartle wrote:

Have you looked into doing something like this.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=19081

It reroutes the waste ink into a container. I have a link to the complete
directions on another computer if you want it.

"Nigel Andrews" wrote in message
news
I have the Epson R300 servicing manual. I can now get to the ink pads used
to absorb ink in the cleaning cycles and I want to clean them.
Is there a simple solution to flush the (now) drink ink out of the pads to
reuse them?

I have reset the printer a number of times when it called for service, due
to the ink pad 'life' expired. By now I am in danger of the ink pads being
at capacity and liable to spill the next cleaning cycle.

Nigel

Help re. Epson cleaning pad DIY Gary Tait Printers 1 January 3rd 07 09:40 AM
Help re. Epson cleaning pad DIY Arthur Entlich Printers 2 December 31st 06 12:23 PM
Help re. Epson cleaning pad DIY Jan Alter Printers 1 December 29th 06 05:37 AM
epson c82; cleaning woof Printers 1 June 9th 04 08:37 PM
Epson 1160 Cleaning Brian Printers 1 August 8th 03 07:57 AM