11 x 17 monochrome laser printer $1000?

Old May 2nd 07, 05:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

Default 11 x 17 monochrome laser printer $1000?

I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Does this printer exist? I found a Canon color laser printer for US $
995, but it looks too bulky to fit into her tiny office. There are
some HP 11 x 17 printers, but they seem to be at least $1500 new, and
a lot more from a reputable dealer.

I know that you can pick up one of the HP printers for say $1000,
used, but I'm pretty sure she won't go for the idea of a used printer.
And honestly, I am not keen on the idea myself.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

Andy

Old May 2nd 07, 05:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Does this printer exist? I found a Canon color laser printer for US $
995, but it looks too bulky to fit into her tiny office. There are
some HP 11 x 17 printers, but they seem to be at least $1500 new, and
a lot more from a reputable dealer.

I know that you can pick up one of the HP printers for say $1000,
used, but I'm pretty sure she won't go for the idea of a used printer.
And honestly, I am not keen on the idea myself.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

Andy

What printer (make & model #) is she currently using?
Frank
Old May 2nd 07, 04:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Does this printer exist? I found a Canon color laser printer for US $
995, but it looks too bulky to fit into her tiny office.

Tabloid-sized lasers have to be pretty large; there's not really any way
to get away from that. The older HPs like the 5SI and the 8000 series
are very big. The later LaserJet 5000 and 5100 are somewhat smaller,
but still a lot bigger than a letter/legal printer.

There are some HP 11 x 17 printers, but they seem to be at least $1500
new, and a lot more from a reputable dealer.

I know that you can pick up one of the HP printers for say $1000,
used, but I'm pretty sure she won't go for the idea of a used printer.
And honestly, I am not keen on the idea myself.

A used LJ8000 or LJ5000 should be a lot less than that. If the seller
can demonstrate that it works, there's really not a lot to be worried
about. Older printers need the rollers replaced, usually without tools.
After printing a couple of hundred thousand pages, the fuser (~$200)
needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

My pick would be the LaserJet 5000. The 5SI/8000 series are good
printers, but the 5000's print has a crystal sharpness that would be
nice for floor plans.

For mail order, theprinterworks.com shows $599.00 for a refurb LJ5000N.
Shipping would probably be significant.

You ought to be able to find something local for a similar price.

Old May 2nd 07, 09:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

I have an HP 8150 from ebay for $400. Great machine, not expensive,
and lots of them with low page counts available. Add $120 shipping,
$150 (or so?) for a cartridge (LazerMonks) and $80 (shipped) for a
duplexor.

Jim

Old May 5th 07, 12:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:54:50 -0700, Frank wrote:

What printer (make & model #) is she currently using?
Frank

I'm honestly not sure. She lives in a different city from me. Mostly
we talk by phone. I'll ask her.
Old June 30th 07, 08:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Kovalcik

In article ,
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Does this printer exist? I found a Canon color laser printer for US $
995, but it looks too bulky to fit into her tiny office. There are
some HP 11 x 17 printers, but they seem to be at least $1500 new, and
a lot more from a reputable dealer.

I know that you can pick up one of the HP printers for say $1000,
used, but I'm pretty sure she won't go for the idea of a used printer.
And honestly, I am not keen on the idea myself.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

Andy

I'd look into a used HP 5000. You should be able to get one with
warantee for much less than $500 and it will last longer than anything
HP is making now.

Old July 3rd 07, 05:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

In article ,
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

The Kyocera FS-6950DN is probably going to be a pretty good machine,
with both network and duplex ability, possibly a little over budget,
although I couldn't find it on Kyocera's US website.

Alternatively Ricoh AP-610N I think fits the bill at around $700

It should be possible to find a dealer in New York by searching Ricoh's
website - actually it gives you a big list, I'm sure one of them could
come up with something.

--
Timothy

Old July 3rd 07, 06:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:03:14 +0100, "
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

The Kyocera FS-6950DN is probably going to be a pretty good machine,
with both network and duplex ability, possibly a little over budget,
although I couldn't find it on Kyocera's US website.

Alternatively Ricoh AP-610N I think fits the bill at around $700

It should be possible to find a dealer in New York by searching Ricoh's
website - actually it gives you a big list, I'm sure one of them could
come up with something.

About two weeks ago, I got a catalog from CDW which listed the Ricoh
AP-610N for about the $700 you mention. So I went to the Ricoh
website and yes,there are two dealers in/near midtown Manhattan.

Well, I was in NYC last week. I printed out a bunch of the webpages
and gave them to my friend. Now she has to decide, but she doesn't
make decisions very quickly.

The Ricoh's monthly page volume is way,way above her needs, and it is
possible that she many never need another print cartridge. The
cartridge is rated at 20,000 prints!

Actually, I'm amazed that you can get so much printer for such a
price. About 20 years ago a QMS Postscript printer (using the same
print engine as the HP LJ II) cost me over $4000.
Old July 3rd 07, 10:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:03:14 +0100, "
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

Ebay for an HP 8150. Does 11x17 beautifully. Goes for about $400 with
page count about 95,000 to 150,000 and scheduled maintenance at
350,000. For an extra $60 get a duplexer. Does both letter and 11x17
from two different trays. Get a cartridge from LaserMonks.com - new
for about half price, 15,000 copies or so.

Jim
Old July 3rd 07, 11:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:50:12 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:03:14 +0100, "
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I promised to help out an architect friend who works by herself. She
prints out 11 x 17 floor plans and the like on an inkjet printer, but
she would like something faster, meaning a laser printer. She doesn't
need color and her budget is $1000.

Any suggestions? If it matters, she is located in New York City, and
would prefer to buy from a local dealer rather than a web store.

Ebay for an HP 8150. Does 11x17 beautifully. Goes for about $400 with
page count about 95,000 to 150,000 and scheduled maintenance at
350,000. For an extra $60 get a duplexer. Does both letter and 11x17
from two different trays. Get a cartridge from LaserMonks.com - new
for about half price, 15,000 copies or so.

Jim

Jim,

Sounds good, and if it was me, that's what I would do. But my friend
in NYC is not exactly what you call "computer savvy." She just uses a
computer (and printer) to get her job done. She needs to be able to
problem. And since I don't live in NYC or any where nearby, I can't
really "support" a used system. I can only make recommendations about
new product and a local store in NYC.

Andy