HP Laserjet 1020 - standard USB cable?

Old August 16th 06, 08:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Eric

Default HP Laserjet 1020 - standard USB cable?

Looking for a cheap laser printer, I'm leaning towards a HP Laserjet 1020.
I don't need/want anything fancy, just something to put text on paper. I
don't print all that often, and when I do, it tends to be documentations. I
can't stand reading involved documentations off a screen. I prefer hard
copy. Easier on the eyes and easy to highlight and write notes.

Anyway, the HP Laserjet 1020 specs state the interface is USB. Thats fine,
but is the connector on the printer standard USB or it some proprietary BS
that will need a proprietary cable? The fact that the product description
doesn't say, nor does the printer come with a cable, is leaving me to
cynically believe that it is probably some proprietary BS port on the
printer side. If I have to buy some BS $30 cable, then I'm looking
elsewhere for something that uses a standard connector -- even RS-232.

Basically, looking for a cheap route to print without getting locked into
manufacturer's dirty games such as those rediculously expensive carts for
inkjets. (Yeah, I know the laser takes toner, but with toner at least you
don't have to worry about it "drying out" like you do with ink.)

Another reason I'm not wanting to spend a lot is because down the road I'm
going to be spending quite a bit on a dot matrix printer as old DMP just
died after 18 years of use. (Don't laugh, I use DMP for logging.)

TIA...

Old August 16th 06, 10:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Eric

Anyway, the HP Laserjet 1020 specs state the interface is USB. Thats
fine,
but is the connector on the printer standard USB or it some proprietary BS
that will need a proprietary cable? The fact that the product description
doesn't say, nor does the printer come with a cable, is leaving me to
cynically believe that it is probably some proprietary BS port on the
printer side. If I have to buy some BS $30 cable, then I'm looking
elsewhere for something that uses a standard connector -- even RS-232.

(Answering my own question.)

I found more detailed information (not from HP) on the Laserjet 1020, plus
some close-up pictures.

The connection port is standard USB. I could care less that it doesn't come
with a cable, as I have at least a dozen USB cables laying around, but
wasn't in the mood to play proprietary games.

Compared this one with other similiar (Samsung, Brother) cheap monocolor
lasers and concluded, overall, the HP Laserjet 1020 comes out on top.

Still has it has cons though. Its a "Win"-printer, in that all the
processing is done on the attached computer's CPU with Windoze drivers.
Won't work as a standalone network printer with a USB/Ethernet wireless box.
Getting it talking directly with Linux can be done (partially), but is a
PITA. I'm not concerned with either as its going to be hanging off a
Windoze computer, allowing everything else to get to it by hostname.

Old August 17th 06, 03:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phil Wheeler

Eric wrote:
Looking for a cheap laser printer, I'm leaning towards a HP Laserjet
1020. I don't need/want anything fancy, just something to put text on
paper. I don't print all that often, and when I do, it tends to be
documentations. I can't stand reading involved documentations off a
screen. I prefer hard copy. Easier on the eyes and easy to
highlight and write notes.

Anyway, the HP Laserjet 1020 specs state the interface is USB. Thats
fine, but is the connector on the printer standard USB or it some
proprietary BS that will need a proprietary cable? The fact that the
product description doesn't say, nor does the printer come with a
cable, is leaving me to cynically believe that it is probably some
proprietary BS port on the printer side. If I have to buy some BS
$30 cable, then I'm looking elsewhere for something that uses a
standard connector -- even RS-232.

Most USB printers use a cable with a squarish connector at the printer
end. I have HP, Canon, and Epson printers with usb interface and the
same cable works with each. I've looked at the 1020 manual on line and
it appears to use the same type cable I have.

Price is likely $20-30, depending on length.

Phil
Old August 17th 06, 09:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
George E. Cawthon

Phil Wheeler wrote:
Eric wrote:
[...]

The connector on my older HP is a B connector
(large square, about 7mm more or less square)
there is also a mini B that is about half that size.

You can buy a 3-6 foot USB with a set of 5 or 6
conversion ends for about $20 (check Target). A 6
foot A to B (standard wide terminating in a square
connection) costs less than $2.

Did you check the contents description on the HP
printer box. Many HP printers include the USB cable.
Old August 17th 06, 10:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fenrir Enterprises

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:43:31 GMT, Phil Wheeler
wrote:

Eric wrote:

Price is likely $20-30, depending on length.

Phil

Price should never be over $10, depending on length.

It is usually cheaper to buy half a dozen cables online, from various
vendors, /with/ shipping included, than one cable at an office or
computer store. Or try a local computer store (though this is not
always cheaper, one of the ones in my area resells Ethernet couplers
for $20), or Big Lots. You can sometimes find USB cables in a dollar
store, but these might be a little /too/ cheap (not enough shielding),
though for a printer, it's not as big an issue as it would be for
something like a scanner.

--

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Old August 18th 06, 07:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Eric

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Most USB printers use a cable with a squarish connector at the printer
end. I have HP, Canon, and Epson printers with usb interface and the
same cable works with each. I've looked at the 1020 manual on line and
it appears to use the same type cable I have.

Price is likely $20-30, depending on length.

Phil

Hi,

My 1020 arrived last night. The "squarish connector at the printer" is just
a standard USB Type-B female. I dug out an A/B USB cables and it works just
fine. $20 to $30? You can certaintly get them for under $4. Average
price for all my USB cables probably comes out to like 50 cents each.

As for the 1020, it'll get the job done. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone
wanting a standalone printer, or even a printer hanging on a Linux/BSD/MAC
box, but it'll work fine as a cheap Windoze laser. My other computers are
talking to it fine by hostname. I have it hanging of a Windows 2003
computer.

Cheers,
Eric

Old August 18th 06, 07:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Eric

"Fenrir Enterprises" wrote in message
.. .
computer store. Or try a local computer store (though this is not
always cheaper, one of the ones in my area resells Ethernet couplers

Yep, thats where I always get all the little piddly stuff like USB cables:
in the "loss leader" bins at a local computer store.

They dump this stuff just to get you in the door.

Cheers,
Eric

Old August 27th 06, 10:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gary Tait

Phil Wheeler wrote in news:ng%Eg.733$S_5.205
@tornado.socal.rr.com:

Most USB printers use a cable with a squarish connector at the printer
end. I have HP, Canon, and Epson printers with usb interface and the
same cable works with each. I've looked at the 1020 manual on line and
it appears to use the same type cable I have.

Price is likely $20-30, depending on length.

Phil

IOW, a bog standard USB A-B cable. You can get the cables for much less if
you look. I never paid anything more that a couple bucks for one, as I look
for the deals, plus get them with most things. In fact the printer is about
the only thing I got new that didn't come with one.

How to connect 7-in-1 floppydrive/smartcard reader ? (asus a8n32x-sli) Skybuck Asus Motherboards 8 April 14th 06 08:52 PM
30ft USB cable for HP LaserJet 3600 Supra Printers 14 March 30th 06 05:30 PM
Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA? Dan_Musicant Storage (alternative) 79 February 28th 06 09:23 AM
VGA Cables joe Nvidia Videocards 17 September 4th 05 02:36 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 07:53 AM