Dimension 4300s Graphics Card

Old January 6th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mitch

Default Dimension 4300s Graphics Card

Hi,

I have a dimension 4300s with an ATI RAGE 128 PRO Ultra AGP. I am
looking to update it, but I don't know what I should be looking for.
Some guy from the store told me about AGP slot in my computer, and that
because the power supply voltage is too low, I would be severly
limited. Dell said that I had to order a "special" card because the
system is slim and because of the height or something. Any suggestions
guys??????????

~Mitch

Old January 6th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

since you have the 's' version you can only fit 'half-height' or
'low-profile' type cards. this severely limits your choices. i don't even
know where to direct you to find a better half-height card than you
currently have. but should you find one i would not worry about the power
issue as the dell power supplies are highly under-rated. a bigger concern
would be heat. as i recall those machines run pretty hot to start with so
you may need to add some soft of cooling if you happen to find a high end
card to put in there.
this may or may not be a better option than what you already have... and you
will need a dvi to agp adapter to connect it to a vga/analog monitor.
http://microsource-store.stores.yaho...-rd92se12.html

oups.com...

Old January 6th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Mitch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a dimension 4300s with an ATI RAGE 128 PRO Ultra AGP. I am
looking to update it, but I don't know what I should be looking for.
Some guy from the store told me about AGP slot in my computer, and that
because the power supply voltage is too low, I would be severly
limited. Dell said that I had to order a "special" card because the
system is slim and because of the height or something. Any suggestions
guys??????????

~Mitch

You need a low-profile, AGP video card. Unfortunately, they're surprisingly
expensive. You can get a FX5200 for under $40, but that isn't a huge
upgrade. A 6200 is closer to $100.

Honestly, it probably isn't worth the investment.

What are you trying to do that the existing card can't do?

Tom

Old January 6th 07, 04:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mitch

Well I wanted to play Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Need for Speed
Underground, America's Army, Battlefield 1942, Unreal tournament
2004....All those new games. It says my graphics card is not
compatible and I need to obtain a new one.

Old January 6th 07, 04:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

then is sounds like that radeon 9200 suggested earlier is the right choice.
not too expensive and up to the task per artari's system requirements...
http://www.atari.com/rollercoastertycoon/us/gameinfo

ups.com...

Old January 6th 07, 04:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

also, newegg has several to consider... but i am not certain that they all
come with the necessary bracket for installing in your low profile system so
you may have to improvise... the $49 jetway/radeon 9600 or the $30
msi/radeon 9250 seem atractive. either is a better value than what was
previously suggested.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=0&Ntk=all

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
then is sounds like that radeon 9200 suggested earlier is the right
choice. not too expensive and up to the task per artari's system
requirements...
http://www.atari.com/rollercoastertycoon/us/gameinfo

ups.com...

Old January 6th 07, 04:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mitch

Which one do you think is better???? Will I have any power issues with
the card??????

Old January 6th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

read the user reviews on newegg. ati dosen't make either of these cards,
then just make the chipset that is included on them. the 9600 chipset is
better but msi has a slightly better reputation than jetway... neither
card has a fan so they are quiet, but they also are vulnerable to
overheating in your slim case (so don't throw out your current card as you
might want to keep it as a spare should something go wrong down the road).
i would get the jetway/9600 card and i wouldn't spend more than $50 on this
machine. that's my 2¢...

ps.com...

Old January 6th 07, 05:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

hmm, i didn't notice the first time that the jetway/9600 is a 'mobility'
chipset version. not sure how that compares to the desktop 9250 chipset of
the other card but my gut tells me that you are probably better off with the
cheaper msi/9250 card. anyone else care to weigh in? going the other
direction moves you up to $97 for a visiontek/radeon 9550 which i think is
just too much to spend on this old system.

read the user reviews on newegg. ati dosen't make either of these cards,
then just make the chipset that is included on them. the 9600 chipset is
better but msi has a slightly better reputation than jetway... neither
card has a fan so they are quiet, but they also are vulnerable to
overheating in your slim case (so don't throw out your current card as you
might want to keep it as a spare should something go wrong down the road).
i would get the jetway/9600 card and i wouldn't spend more than $50 on
this machine. that's my 2¢...

ps.com...