Packard Bell 680 Motherboard Problem

Old November 23rd 06, 12:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Mitch

Default Packard Bell 680 Motherboard Problem

I had a PB680 motherboard sitting in my basement, so I decided to put
it back together. Now, when I turn the computer on, I get no video on
the monitor. None at all. The power supply spins, the hard drive
makes a startup noise, but I don't hear any beeps or see anything on
the screen. The processor is an Intel Pentium 120 MHZ(non-MMX, I
think), and the graphics card is an S3 ViRGE. Can anybody please
help???

Mitch~~

Old November 23rd 06, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

If the memory is not the right type, the system would not boot. Memory must be
installed in matched pairs in adjacent SIMM sockets. I ***THINK*** that EDO
memory is OK. Fast page mode would work fine. The limit is 4x32MB or 128MB of
memory. If you need some 72-pin SIMMs to max out the memory, let me know. You
can have them for cheap.

I'm not sure how the board would behave without a riser card.

Check the jumpers to make sure that the processor speed (multiplier of 2.0, and
bus speed of 60MHz) is jumpered correctly. These computers from long ago
needed to be told everything to run right, but the processors will run just fime
slower than rated speed. No such thing as today's clock-locked CPUs. Yes,
the 120MHz Pentium is a non-MMX. Intel did not make any (many?) Pentium MMX
CPUs slower than 166MHz.

An inexpensive POST (Power On Self Test) PCI card would tell you a lot.

You still might be able to find specs and a motherboard diagram on the web. A
company in the UK has a lot of PB stuff on its product support web site.

.... Ben Myers

Old November 26th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !

( inserting comments as I go, as usual.......... )

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

I'm not sure how the board would behave without a riser card.

I *think* it will boot OK, I'm pretty sure I have done that in the past.

Check the jumpers to make sure that the processor speed (multiplier of
2.0, and
bus speed of 60MHz) is jumpered correctly. These computers from long ago
needed to be told everything to run right, but the processors will run
just fime
slower than rated speed. No such thing as today's clock-locked CPUs.

Yeah, but what the heck, set that baby at 66MHz. First thing I always do.

:-)

Yes,
the 120MHz Pentium is a non-MMX. Intel did not make any (many?) Pentium
MMX CPUs slower than 166MHz.

There was a 133MMX. I would like to find one for my collection.

An inexpensive POST (Power On Self Test) PCI card would tell you a lot.

You still might be able to find specs and a motherboard diagram on the
web. A
company in the UK has a lot of PB stuff on its product support web site.

... Ben Myers

On 22 Nov 2006 15:24:03 -0800, "Mitch" wrote:

Hi Mitch !

I had a PB680 motherboard sitting in my basement, so I decided to put
it back together. Now, when I turn the computer on, I get no video on
the monitor. None at all. The power supply spins, the hard drive
makes a startup noise, but I don't hear any beeps or see anything on
the screen. The processor is an Intel Pentium 120 MHZ(non-MMX, I
think), and the graphics card is an S3 ViRGE. Can anybody please
help???

Usually, no beeps ( and nothing else ) means a bad CPU, or bad motherboard.
If the memory or vid card is a problem, the thing will at least beep. Then
you can look up the beep codes.

I would try reseating the CPU, or another CPU. If that doesn't do it, the
motherboard is probably bad.

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Old January 6th 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Mitch

I have one question:

Would using a different power supply than the factory one be the
problem. I have been using a power supply from an old Gateway from '90
or '93 (don't know specific year). Does the m-board need a specific
voltage???????

Old January 6th 07, 07:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Mitch,

A 1990-1993 vintage motherboard uses an older AT-style pair of power connectors.
They supply standard voltages to baby AT and AT motherboards. AT power
supplies have different wattage ratings, but the voltage remains the same.

Same with the more modern ATX, ATX12V, and BTX standard power supplies. Dell
Pentium 2 and Pentium 3 power supplies and motherboards are a NASTY exception,
because they use the same physical ATX connector, but with different voltages on
different pins... Ben Myers

Old January 8th 07, 11:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Mitch

So, from what your telling me, the power supply I am using is not an
issue?

Old January 9th 07, 01:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Right. A Gateway AT-style power supply is A-OK in a Packard Bell with AT
connectors on its motherboard, because both companies followed industry
standards. Sensible. That's what standards are for... Ben Myers

Old January 11th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Mitch

Can you tell me how I know if the power supply is AT and if the
motherboard has AT connectors???

Old January 11th 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

An AT power supply has two connectors with 6 female openings each, arranged in a
single row. The motherboard has a matching single row of 12 pins. You connect
the pair of power supply connectors side by side, with the black wire leads on
one connector adjacent to the black ones on the other. Some AT power supplies
have a 3rd auxiliary connector to supply 3.3v. It looks very much like the
other two.

An ATX power supply has a single 20-pin connector, two rows of 10 pins.

An ATX-12v power supply has the 20-pin connector plus an additional 4-pin
connector for the 12v needed by most Pentium 4 and later AMD motherboards.

The latest BTX power supply has a single 24-pin connector.

All these connectors are keyed to the pins to which they connect. In other
words, you can only attach these connectors one way. But it IS possible to
force AT connectors onto the wrong 6 pins and fry the motherboard... Ben Myers