Fan on my ATI card just died :(

Old November 30th 05, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default Fan on my ATI card just died :(

The fan on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro fan just died. I'm unable to send it
back to the manufacturer because I'm living on the furthest corner of
civilized society, and the shipping costs would be more than a brand
new card.

When the fan died, the GPU must've overheated several times because my
PC froze several times. It wasn't until I sensed the dreaded "burning
odor" that I realized what was amiss.

So two questions for ATI experts out there...

1) I tested my card, and my PC will still boot up... at least for a few
minutes until the GPU heats up. But I did smell a strong burning odor
*once* before, and maybe that means some of the circuits got burned.
What are the chances that this Radeon card could still be fully
functional if the fan is repaired?

2) I have no access to spare parts for Radeon. Any suggestions on how
I could go about fixing the fan? I'm thinking of pulling out the
fan/heatsink combo on the card and replacing it with a CPU
fan/heatsink. But how do I keep the heatsink fastened to the GPU? Is
there such a thing as a thermal glue (instead of thermal paste) that
could hold it in place? Any suggestions?

Old November 30th 05, 03:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

It could have been the fan you were smelling. If the video card is worth
more then a 100.00 then swap out the fan and try that. If it does not work
keep the fan for the next time and buy a new video card.

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 05:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is
there such a thing as a thermal glue (instead of thermal paste) that
could hold it in place? Any suggestions?

Sure is. Google "thermal adhesive".

Old November 30th 05, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Hi Mexican equivalent

I've had my radeon 9800 pro for 2 years now and my fan also died on me 2
weeks ago , in order to fix it I removed my card disconected my fan and went
to my local PC parts dealer and I bought a similar fan for $7.00 cdn and it
does the job well .

Its running like new and its cheaper than spending $$$ for a new card.

hope this will help you

Old November 30th 05, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

It is possible for electronics to heat up to the "oh my God, what's
that smell??!!" point and still function. Possible, but I wouldn't put
money on it.

You never saw an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea?
Every week, the submarine Seaview would get hit by something
and sparks and smoke would fly out of almost every instrument in
the Control Room or the "Circuitry Room" (door always unlocked
and unguarded, the Circuitry Room had all major systems running
through it!). After a few shots from a fire extinguisher, all systems
would be back to normal by the end of the show! They don't
build 'em like they used to!

Tom Lake

Old November 30th 05, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

On 29 Nov 2005 16:11:11 -0800, wrote:

|The fan on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro fan just died. I'm unable to send it
|back to the manufacturer because I'm living on the furthest corner of
|civilized society, and the shipping costs would be more than a brand
|new card.
|
|When the fan died, the GPU must've overheated several times because my
|PC froze several times. It wasn't until I sensed the dreaded "burning
|odor" that I realized what was amiss.
|
|So two questions for ATI experts out there...
|
|1) I tested my card, and my PC will still boot up... at least for a few
|minutes until the GPU heats up. But I did smell a strong burning odor
|*once* before, and maybe that means some of the circuits got burned.
|What are the chances that this Radeon card could still be fully
|functional if the fan is repaired?
|
|2) I have no access to spare parts for Radeon. Any suggestions on how
|I could go about fixing the fan? I'm thinking of pulling out the
|fan/heatsink combo on the card and replacing it with a CPU
|fan/heatsink. But how do I keep the heatsink fastened to the GPU? Is
|there such a thing as a thermal glue (instead of thermal paste) that
|could hold it in place? Any suggestions?

Simple, get this:

Pluvious

Old November 30th 05, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Tom Lake wrote:

It is possible for electronics to heat up to the "oh my God, what's
that smell??!!" point and still function. Possible, but I wouldn't put
money on it.

You never saw an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea?
Every week, the submarine Seaview would get hit by something
and sparks and smoke would fly out of almost every instrument in
the Control Room or the "Circuitry Room" (door always unlocked
and unguarded, the Circuitry Room had all major systems running
through it!). After a few shots from a fire extinguisher, all systems
would be back to normal by the end of the show! They don't
build 'em like they used to!

Tom Lake

l m a o, too funny. what a show eh, hey maybe he should have just
blasted the crap out of the hot card with a fire extinguisher and
rebooted, all would be well