Use of 2.5 SATA Drives For Servers

Old July 7th 08, 08:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

Default Use of 2.5 SATA Drives For Servers

Is there 2.5 SATA drive whose use is recommended for a server? I have an
industrial rackmount computer with SCSI drives currently that leaves no room
for the cable connections behind the drives. It's HOURS of work to remove
and replace a drive. I want something that gives us a lot more room to
work behind the drives.

--
Will

Old July 7th 08, 10:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Maybe the Western Digital Velociraptor.
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 8th 08, 01:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Will wrote:
Is there 2.5 SATA drive whose use is recommended for a server?

Yes, but they are hard to get.

I have an
industrial rackmount computer with SCSI drives currently that leaves no room
for the cable connections behind the drives. It's HOURS of work to remove
and replace a drive. I want something that gives us a lot more room to
work behind the drives.

2.5" driver for server use are typically used in blade servers.
I am not aware of a source on the general market. You may get them
as spare parts from blade server suppliers.

Arno

Old July 8th 08, 02:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CJT

Will wrote:
Is there 2.5 SATA drive whose use is recommended for a server? I have an
industrial rackmount computer with SCSI drives currently that leaves no room
for the cable connections behind the drives. It's HOURS of work to remove
and replace a drive. I want something that gives us a lot more room to
work behind the drives.

What kind of chump server is THAT?

Old July 8th 08, 02:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

Altigen voicemail server. It's a vendor supplied "integrated" solution
that uses an older ISA / PCI single-slot computer design, so you don't get
as much flexibility as you might like on choice of the enclosure.

--
Will

Old July 8th 08, 02:38 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
Previously Will wrote:
Is there 2.5 SATA drive whose use is recommended for a server?

Yes, but they are hard to get.

I have an
industrial rackmount computer with SCSI drives currently that leaves no
room
for the cable connections behind the drives. It's HOURS of work to
remove
and replace a drive. I want something that gives us a lot more room to
work behind the drives.

2.5" driver for server use are typically used in blade servers.
I am not aware of a source on the general market. You may get them
as spare parts from blade server suppliers.

If you have a Compaq or Dell part number for the 2.5 SATA drives they use in
their blades, that would work as well.

--
Will

Old July 8th 08, 05:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Will wrote:
Altigen voicemail server. It's a vendor supplied "integrated" solution
that uses an older ISA / PCI single-slot computer design, so you don't get
as much flexibility as you might like on choice of the enclosure.

Hmm. If it is not a high-performance application, ordinary
notebook drives may actually do fine. They are at the performance
level that 3.5" SATA drives were 2-3 years ago. Running them 24/7
is also not really that much of an issue.

Arno

--
Will

Old July 8th 08, 05:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

So in that case maybe a 2.5 SAS solution would better meet the combined
requirements of small size and high performance.

Old July 8th 08, 06:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Will wrote:
So in that case maybe a 2.5 SAS solution would better meet the combined
requirements of small size and high performance.

Your application does not strike me as high-performance. But if
it is, then yes, 2.5" SAS would be the way to go, I think.

Arno

Old July 8th 08, 08:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Arno Wagner wrote:

Hmm. If it is not a high-performance application, ordinary
notebook drives may actually do fine. They are at the performance

For performance, just take this little thing out of its 3.5" adapter.
Some say it is the fastest drive around.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14964
---