Dual GPU nVidia Card With 512MB Per GPU?

Old June 20th 08, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

Default Dual GPU nVidia Card With 512MB Per GPU?

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
Will wrote:
In your experience with FSX, does 9800GX2 really offer better performance
than 8800GTS? Given the bottlenecks in FSX appear to be mostly with CPU
(I
can flat line my four CPU cores at 100% easily), I wonder if a 9800GX2
isn't
GPU overkill, at least unless I am in dual GPU mode?

If I wanted to have two monitors running FSX running at 1920x1080 each
(two
large HDTV panels), what kind of antialias options would I have with
9800GX2
and 8800? I found out the hard way with 7950 that once you climb up in
resolution they put all kinds of limitations on antialiasing. I wanted
choose 8xS but at my resolution 7950 was only supporting 4x and 8x.

My main reason for the video card upgrade in FSX is that I cannot fly
more
than 10 minutes in a big city environment without my frame rates crashing
less than 1 fps, followed by FSX locking up and crashing. I sometimes
see
video spikes before the end, so I am grasping at straws and hoping that
an
8800 with 768+ of memory is going to relieve some video memory
constraints.

You have to determine how much video memory you are using, when. Any of
the numerous programs mentioned will do that.

Your FSX CTDs could be caused by anything, will adding local video memory
fix your crashes? If you are always swapping textures and saturating the
bus, maybe. At such resolutions with such FSAA, it is entirely possible
you could be using all available memory (Which is what it is for).

If I were to run one card per monitor, in non SLI, it would be a card with
more than 512M, more than a 256-bit memory bus and as good or better than
an 8800GTS. There are a few options that meet those criteria.

You would be able to run FSX at maximum resolution with near maximum IQ
including supersampling with a quad core on two monitors. I'll also assume
you have Vista, contributing to your woes.

I went ahead and picked up a used MSI 8800 Ultra at $325, which should give
me better than GTS specs and 768MB of memory. At least I will get better
antialiasing with that selection at my resolution.

I do monitor "peak" video memory usage in a program called MemStatus, but I
am not sure I trust it. It's reporting peak video memory at 350 to 400 MB
typically. But perhaps there is a request for more memory than that which
is never being satisfied, and one of the error handlers in FSX isn't working
correctly and isn't gracefully dealing with that situation?

--
Will

Old June 20th 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

P.S. I am not using Vista yet, but once I go to eight cores I guess I have
no choice?

What is your take on using FSX with Vista?

--
Will

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
Will wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Yeah he wants 1G per GPU, but that isn't available in non SLI and a
9800GX2 will perform VASTLY better than what he currently has in FSX, no
matter what his FB+TXT memory requirements are. The 9800GX2 will also
outperform the HD3870 in FSX unless the OP really has a need for 500M+
of memory in use at once unless it's due to obnoxious resolution
requirements ... at which point the raw performance of the 9800GX2 will
come out on top again.

You really want a viable single card option?

Palit's 1G 8800GTS, it's the perfect solutions to heavily textured games
such as Oblivion and other memory intensive operations like high FSAA
and filtering on large WS resolutions, with the horsepower to run it
all.