Can high voltage from power supply damage harddrive?

Old October 31st 10, 05:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
GMAN[_13_]

Default Can high voltage from power supply damage harddrive?

In article , John Turco wrote:
GMAN wrote:

In article , John Turco

wrote:
GMAN wrote:

In article ,
John Turco wrote:
Arno wrote:

heavily edited for brevity

Antec is prettied-up ElCheapo with a high price tag. I had
one server-grade EPS from them fail. Opened it and it turned
out to be an insufficiently cooled component, in a configuration
that I can only call either "incompetent" or "designed to fail".
The thing was running at about 40% permenant load and about 80%
load on startup (lots of disks). In addition the overall
impression was that of very cheap build design and component
selection.

I will not buy Antec again.

Arno

Oh, great! In April of 2010, I bought an Antec "Earthwatts"
EA-430 power supply, to replace my current desktop computer's
Enermax EG365P-VE (which was a 2002 acquisition).

I haven't installed the Antec, yet, but...I certainly hope that
you're wrong, about this company's quality control.

(Actually, before making the EA-430 purchase, I'd read quite a
few positive online comments, regarding Antec.)

For every one person you get that "swears" at a product, you
will have ten who will "swear by" a product.

Good point.

I buy nothing but Antec , be it motherboards, cases, power
supplies and have yet had one go tits up on me.

Thanks, for the reassurance.

I am not saying that Asus doesn't have its turds when it comes to
motherboards or PS's etc, its just that the ones who do have the
problems are usually the ones you hear about, not the hundreds of
us who DON'T have problems with a specific brand or product.

I'm a bit confused, here; are Antec and Asus related, in some way?

I do fee that a 400 Watt or lower power supply is a poor choice
for a PC nowadays, but a 800+ Watt supply is usually just as
stupid for a user who will only have a normal video card, and
a few hard drives etc...

My new Antec EA-430 is 430 watts, which I think is quite suitable,
for my present Pentium III 1050MHz system.

Yeah, I must have got my wires crossed. In another forum i was commenting on
ASUS motherboards with someone.

I stand by my comments on both ASUS and ANTEC. I have had wonderful
experiences with both brand names. Its not to say that they dont have a
stinker here and there, but in general they are good brands.

The only problem i had with Antec was a case that had the usb ports wired
wrong. They replaced the header plug by mailing the part overnight to me for
free. I think it was an early Performance series case.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/f143/p...usb-71369.html