Bad sectors on a new drive

Old November 16th 03, 10:52 PM
news.ntlworld.com

Default Bad sectors on a new drive

I've just installed a Seagate Barraacuda 120Gb Hard Drive as a slave. After formating I ran Scan
Disk (Win 98) and it found Bad Sectors on the disk.
Is it normal for a new disk to have Bad Sectors or is this a faulty disk?
Should I just mark the bad sectors and start using the disk?

Thanks for your advice.

Old November 16th 03, 10:56 PM
Ron Reaugh

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message
.com...
I've just installed a Seagate Barraacuda 120Gb Hard Drive as a slave.

After formating I ran Scan
Disk (Win 98) and it found Bad Sectors on the disk.
Is it normal for a new disk to have Bad Sectors or is this a faulty disk?

NO!

Should I just mark the bad sectors and start using the disk?

Probably not.

What to do next is the question. It may be a bad HD or just some other
artifact. How much time do you want to spend finding out?

Old November 16th 03, 11:10 PM
Eric Gisin

You should download SeaTools, copy it to floppy, and run full diagnostics.

Old November 16th 03, 11:32 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Ron Reaugh" wrote in message ...

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message
.com...
I've just installed a Seagate Barraacuda 120Gb Hard Drive as a slave.

After formating I ran Scan
Disk (Win 98) and it found Bad Sectors on the disk.
Is it normal for a new disk to have Bad Sectors or is this a faulty disk?

NO!

NO! to what, imposter?

Old November 16th 03, 11:46 PM
CJT

news.ntlworld.com wrote:

I've just installed a Seagate Barraacuda 120Gb Hard Drive as a slave. After formating I ran Scan
Disk (Win 98) and it found Bad Sectors on the disk.
Is it normal for a new disk to have Bad Sectors or is this a faulty disk?
Should I just mark the bad sectors and start using the disk?

Thanks for your advice.

Modern drives should remap bad sectors so you don't see them until the
point at which they overwhelm the spares available. Modern drives
also generally have S.M.A.R.T. capabilities which may be helpful in
determining what's wrong.

Seagate drives in my experience have been pretty good -- I would
suspect your cabling and/or power supply.

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the
Old November 17th 03, 09:53 AM
news.ntlworld.com

Eric Gisin, escribi=F3 en el mensaje, bp9121013no@enews3=
..newsguy.com, Sun, 16=20
Nov 2003 15:10:21 -0800
You should download SeaTools, copy it to floppy, and run full diagnostics=

..
=20

I just did that, and no problem was found.=20
Norton disk doctor (Norton Utility 2000) will not run on the disk, it state=
s "The disk may not be=20
configurated properly".
Old November 17th 03, 03:32 PM
Svend Olaf Mikkelsen

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:53:17 -0000, news.ntlworld.com
wrote:

Eric Gisin, escribió en el mensaje, , Sun, 16
Nov 2003 15:10:21 -0800
You should download SeaTools, copy it to floppy, and run full diagnostics.

I just did that, and no problem was found.
Norton disk doctor (Norton Utility 2000) will not run on the disk, it
states "The disk may not be
configurated properly".

There is a serious Windows bug (the 32 GB problem), which Microsoft
gives a benign description. You may have run into the benign

Svend Olaf
Old November 18th 03, 05:24 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Svend Olaf Mikkelsen" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:53:17 -0000, news.ntlworld.com wrote:

Eric Gisin, escribió en el mensaje, , Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:10:21 -0800
You should download SeaTools, copy it to floppy, and run full diagnostics.

I just did that, and no problem was found.
Norton disk doctor (Norton Utility 2000) will not run on the disk,
it states "The disk may not be configurated properly".

There is a serious Windows bug (the 32 GB problem), which Microsoft
gives a benign description.

By benign, did you mean that bull**** where they try to shove off their
own stupidity on to Phoenix for offering different CHS translations
(that is limited to 8GB) when that obviously can't have anything to do
with problems that concern addressing above 32 GB?

You may have run into the benign description:

Svend Olaf