XXCopy with A7N8X-E, conflict?

Old November 21st 04, 05:23 AM
Peregrin

Default XXCopy with A7N8X-E, conflict?

Has anyone used XXCopy with the A7N8X-E in an IDE drive? If you have, have
you noticed any unusual slowness in backing up or otherwise copying a
bunch of files, especially small ones? If you have, PLEASE let me hear
from you. I am having a problem that is driving me bats, and your input
will help me determine whether it is an inherent conflict between XXCopy
and the A7N8X-E, or -- I hope --some other thing that hopefully can be
fixed. In my experience with XXCopy, average size files, as say in a
backup, should copy at from 500 MB/min, up.

If you want to read further, here is the story:

ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE Rev.2
Barton XP2600 Mobile 225 MHz
Kingmax MPXC22D PC-3200 2x512MB
Hitachi 250GB, 7200RPM IDE, FAT32
RAPTOR 74GB SATA, FAT32
WinXP PRO, SP1

With XXCopy and XP installed on the IDE drive, copying small files is
extremely slow, and the Task Manager shows the CPU at 100% load, with
CSRSS.EXE using at least 95% of it. The HD behaves normally in other
situations, including copying files with ZTree.

I also did a fresh install of XP on a newly formatted IDE drive, with
nothing else on it other than XXCopy and the files to copy, and it behaved
exactly the same way. Specifically, it took 74.6 sec. to copy 1000 files
of 252 KB total.

XP and XXCopy installed on the SATA drive of the same machine, copied the
same files in 0.84 seconds.

I then hooked up the same barebones IDE drive to a different machine (Soyo
400 Dragon and Athlon 1400), and the same files copied in under 2 sec.

So it would seem that the problem is specifically in the interface between
XXCopy if installed on an IDE drive, and the A7N8X-E MOBO.

Also, someone pointed me to a Microsoft Article, ID 555021, which says:
"CSRSS.EXE uses 100% of the CPU when you right-click an item in Win
Explorer or on the desktop - Cause: your user profile is corrupt". This is
just what happens here, although the cause must be different (it does not
happen if I click as above, and the profile isn't likely to be corrupt on
the new install). I'm trying to find out what causes CSRSS do to use all
of the CPU, and what to do about it, but got nowhere yet.

I don't know the "insides" of XXCopy or the pertinent aspects of Windows,
so I don't have a take on what might be causing this problem, or how to go
about fixing it, and would very much appreciate your input.

Jim