I once actually learned something from this group

Old October 2nd 08, 07:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

Default I once actually learned something from this group

Yousuf Khan writes:

aku ankka wrote:
Well, the issue of "how terrible it is that we are locked in to X86"
keeps coming-up.

Forgot also that x86 isn't the best selling processor on the market..
just on laptops and desktops, I recall seeing that the ARM and such
sell a lot more units. Could be wrong.. anyone cares to contest that?

The ARM is the basis of most cellphones, so just by that platform
alone it is the biggest selling chip architecture family. However,
that does not mean that it is the architecture with the most
applications. X86 architecture has the most, likely followed by the
Sparc architecture. For that matter most general purpose processor
architectures have more applications than the ARM, because ARM is used
with a lot of proprietary platforms,

I understand from one of my colleagues that at least one the hearing
aid companies use ARM as their DSP platform.

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old October 2nd 08, 07:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

Robert Myers writes:

I came here a bit before the P4.

[snip]

Because I once learned something here, I stupidly keep coming back.

[snip]

The people who are bent on showing me something or other about my
personality or some other personal thing about me are just wasting my
time, theirs, and everyone else's. If you don't get the way in which
I am bright, and I am, then stop showing how clueless you are by
trying to tell me how witless I am.

Robert, besides extolling the size of your brain & ego, what are you
trying to tell us here? Are you preparing to bid us farewell? Then
just do it, instead of rambling about it. If not, then speak plainer,
please.

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old October 2nd 08, 08:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

On Oct 2, 2:57*pm, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

Robert, besides extolling the size of your brain & ego, what are you
trying to tell us here? Are you preparing to bid us farewell? Then
just do it, instead of rambling about it. If not, then speak plainer,
please.

I can and will respond in kind. I have apparently accomplished
nothing. If you have something to say, leave off your assessment of
my personality. Otherwise, leave your hands off the keyboard.

Robert.

Robert.
Old October 2nd 08, 09:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

Robert Myers writes:

On Oct 2, 2:57*pm, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

Robert, besides extolling the size of your brain & ego, what are you
trying to tell us here? Are you preparing to bid us farewell? Then
just do it, instead of rambling about it. If not, then speak plainer,
please.

I can and will respond in kind. I have apparently accomplished
nothing.

Indeed. Towards me, at least, you have accomplished exactly nothing,
for you have not made it plain what you're trying to say.

If you have something to say, leave off your assessment of
my personality. Otherwise, leave your hands off the keyboard.

Thank god for the freedom of speech.

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old October 2nd 08, 10:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

On Oct 2, 4:35*pm, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
Robert Myers writes:
On Oct 2, 2:57*pm, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

Robert, besides extolling the size of your brain & ego, what are you
trying to tell us here? Are you preparing to bid us farewell? Then
just do it, instead of rambling about it. If not, then speak plainer,
please.

I can and will respond in kind. *I have apparently accomplished
nothing.

Indeed. Towards me, at least, you have accomplished exactly nothing,
for you have not made it plain what you're trying to say.

If you have something to say, leave off your assessment of
my personality. *Otherwise, leave your hands off the keyboard.

Thank god for the freedom of speech.

You have made it plain that you do not wish to hear what I have to
say. That is why you do not understand it. There is no artifice of
language to overcome such a barrier.

If comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips is about personalities, or theories
of competition, or some other topic, we should change the name of the
group.

Robert.
Old October 3rd 08, 01:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Del Cecchi

wrote:

[...]

-------------------------

I stop in once in a while. This thread mystifies me. It is in a
group "...ibm.pc.hardware.chips" so of course it is about x86 and amd
and intel. What's the point of this thread? There is much to be
learned in the newsgroups if one is willing.

del

Old October 3rd 08, 02:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

On Oct 2, 8:51*pm, "Del Cecchi" wrote:

I stop in once in a while. *This thread mystifies me. *It is in a
group "...ibm.pc.hardware.chips" so of course it is about x86 and amd
and intel. *What's the point of this thread? * There is much to be
learned in the newsgroups if one is willing.

What it's not about is personalities and endless discussions of
theories of competition. Nor is it about anyone here teaching me or
anyone else how to be a better person. Nor is it about the good and
evil of corporations.

Whatever technical content there once was to this group, it is long
gone.

Robert.

Old October 6th 08, 03:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
YKhan

On Oct 2, 2:54 pm, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
The ARM is the basis of most cellphones, so just by that platform
alone it is the biggest selling chip architecture family. However,
that does not mean that it is the architecture with the most
applications. X86 architecture has the most, likely followed by the
Sparc architecture. For that matter most general purpose processor
architectures have more applications than the ARM, because ARM is used
with a lot of proprietary platforms,

I understand from one of my colleagues that at least one the hearing
aid companies use ARM as their DSP platform.

And by that basis, there's not a lot of applications running on
hearing aids either, other than the main function. :-)

Yousuf Khan
Old October 6th 08, 07:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

YKhan writes:

On Oct 2, 2:54 pm, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
The ARM is the basis of most cellphones, so just by that platform
alone it is the biggest selling chip architecture family. However,
that does not mean that it is the architecture with the most
applications. X86 architecture has the most, likely followed by the
Sparc architecture. For that matter most general purpose processor
architectures have more applications than the ARM, because ARM is used
with a lot of proprietary platforms,

I understand from one of my colleagues that at least one the hearing
aid companies use ARM as their DSP platform.

And by that basis, there's not a lot of applications running on
hearing aids either, other than the main function. :-)

A hearing aid is definitely a very 'fixed' platform - you can't
download arbitrary programs to it. But there is running more and more
code on a hearing aid, besides the sound processing - feedback
suppression, coefficient updating, automatic program selection, and
(if you have it) wireless communication protocol.

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old October 7th 08, 01:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Lee Waun

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
aku ankka wrote:
Well, the issue of "how terrible it is that we are locked in to X86"
keeps coming-up.

Forgot also that x86 isn't the best selling processor on the market..
just on laptops and desktops, I recall seeing that the ARM and such
sell a lot more units. Could be wrong.. anyone cares to contest that?

The ARM is the basis of most cellphones, so just by that platform alone it
is the biggest selling chip architecture family. However, that does not
mean that it is the architecture with the most applications. X86
architecture has the most, likely followed by the Sparc architecture. For
that matter most general purpose processor architectures have more
applications than the ARM, because ARM is used with a lot of proprietary
platforms, since every cellphone maker wants to be different than their
competition, so they use customized OS and apps.

Yousuf Khan

ARM is also listed as the processors for all Ipods and most other MP3
players.