Memory Upgrade Question (a different question)

Old July 14th 03, 10:05 PM
WSZsr

Default Memory Upgrade Question (a different question)

From Dell's website:
a.. The 3 DIMM sockets can accommodate from 32 to 384 MB of RAM.
b.. Supported DIMM sizes are 32-, 64-, and 128-MB for non-ECC, and 64- and
128-MB for ECC. (ECC DIMMs have 9 memory chips on one or both sides; non-ECC
DIMMs have a maximum of 8 chips per side.)
c.. Do not mix ECC and non-ECC DIMMs in a system. If any sockets contain
non-ECC DIMMs, ECC capability is disabled.
d.. You can mix DIMM sizes and install them in any order in the memory
banks, leaving a bank unoccupied if necessary. It is recommended that you
fill the sockets in order starting with Bank 0, but it is not a requirement.
For the money, I would ditch your current menory and replace with two or
three non-ecc 128mb dimms - update your bios to A09 or later and you can use
pc100 dimms and save 30% over pc66 dimms.

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote in message
The computer I have is a Dell Dimension XPS D300. It has 3 memory sockets.

The
first two sockets each have a 32 MB stick for a total of 64. What can I

add to
what I already have?

I've gotten two different answers from different Dell tech support people.

The
first person said if I add a 64 or 128 MB stick I must remove one of the

32 MB
sticks and put the new stick in one of the first two sockets. He also said

have Error Correcting memory (ECC) already in the computer and must add

ECC
memory to the memory I have now.

The second tech support person said I can add any size from 16 to 128 MB

in the
third socket and don't have to replace one of the first two sticks,

contrary to
what the first tech person said. She also said I have non-ECC memory and I

have
to add non-ECC memory, also disagreeing with the first tech person.

Who was right? The 128 MB stick costs $66.95, double the price of a 64 MB

stick
and I only need a total of 128 MB (this is the memory requirement for the

CD
Burner I'm getting) so I'd rather not pay for the 128 Meg stick if I don't

have
to.

I counted 8 chips on the memory sticks I have now so I think I have

non-ECC.

Thank you.

Old July 15th 03, 12:58 AM
George W.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:44:20 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

The computer I have is a Dell Dimension XPS D300. It has 3 memory sockets. The
first two sockets each have a 32 MB stick for a total of 64. What can I add to
what I already have?

Just as a future reference you might check out the Crucial site:

http://www.crucial.com

Just plug in the make and model and they'll tell you exactly what will
work.

Memory question charleh Homebuilt PC's 2 January 12th 05 06:29 PM
Gigabyte 8KNXP Memory Upgrade Question Glenn M Homebuilt PC's 1 December 13th 04 10:28 PM
nf7 dual channel memory question? Christo Abit Motherboards 0 September 14th 04 12:48 PM
I think my FX5200 is damaged...........any way to verify? Dunny Rummy Nvidia Videocards 4 October 28th 03 04:50 PM
Need Help with Memory Upgrade Problem with P3V4X board Mitch Asus Motherboards 5 August 6th 03 12:22 AM