dvd -R or +R whats the diff

Old October 3rd 03, 10:34 PM
Alan

Default dvd -R or +R whats the diff

What is the advantage of the + or -R of DVD blanks & burners? TIA Alan

Old October 4th 03, 10:47 AM
Carolyn Taliaferro

If you are looking for a burner. I have been using a Plextor 504A burner
DVD+ since August. I have not had any problems burning different brands of
DVD or CDR media. The downside of this drive is its small 2meg buffer. The
next generation drive the 708A burners at 8X, but still has a 2meg buffer.
I have been using TMPGEnc, Isobuster, and Nero 6.011. I like using TMPGEnc
and their authoring software. It is a compact product that does a complete
job.
I found Google searches to be a great help in finding the right product to
do the job. I would type "AVI 2 DVD." The search would bring results on what
program(s) to accompish the task at hand. There are many freeware, shareware
and commerical products that can help you produce that perfect DVD. To get a
good quality DVD your have to start out with a great source file.

Here is a resource Digital Video Information. This site gives you info on
different software programs to handle varies file types. The site is written
for the beginner. http://www.digvid.info/software/index.php

wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:34:41 -0400, "Alan" wrote:

What is the advantage of the + or -R of DVD blanks & burners? TIA Alan

The DVD+ organization site does list some extra features which I
forget with + and a guy at one of the sites CDfreaks or something
wrote why he thought + was superior something to do with data
integrity but most DVD- boosters are unimpressed by those reasons and
in the real world where most just use it to copy stuff - nothing. Just
two competing formats.

The reasons which most give is the claim that since DVD - was out in
the market before + . more players are compatible with the - format.
Frankly I think this is grossly exaggerated. A recent post where some
people claimed they tested a few sample I think they got something
like 70% for + and 80% for - something along those lines and Im sure
the 20-30 % were probably ancient or really weird players.

My brother and I have a + and out of maybe 7 players of differing
eras they all play the + from the Pioneer 656a , Panasonic RV30 to
various Apex , Lennox and a recent JVC .

The other is DVD-R media is cheaper and thats true if you do a scan
but I think DVD+R media tends to be better quality. When DVD+R came
out it was actually 2.4x not 2x. I see lots of generic brands for -R
some of the really cheap stuff is rated for 1x and I see a lot of
complaints about media matching with various burners so Im not sure if
you end up sticking to better brands of DVD-R whether the cost
advantage is that great.

Still most who can afford it are opting for a dual format burner.
Just in case one format wins. Of course that wont be for a while yet
I imagine so by that time any burner youll buy now will be junk
anyway. However if any side says a year or two from now they give up
and are phasing it out I suspect the media supply will start to
disappear and and prices may go up perhaps after a few big sales to
get rid of media possibly.

Old October 4th 03, 02:35 PM
Alan

"Carolyn Taliaferro" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thankyou for the input excellent link. I hear the A07 is getting released by
Pioneer in nov too. Which is also a consideration between the Plextor. Alan