Dell 8250 PSU

Old January 29th 11, 02:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Dell 8250 PSU

I have an 8250. It started making a low buzzing noise about a week
ago. Not very loud, and not all of the time. I thought that it was
the CPU fan (maybe a bit dusty), so I opened up the computer and found
out it wasn't the CPU fan that was making the noise, it was the PSU
(Power Supply Unit). So, I guess this means that the PSU is dying
and that it's tine to get a new one? I think that for this model Dell
computer, you can't just use any PSU, it has to e a Dell PSU. I found
an 8250 Dell PSU on ebay for $23, but the shipping cost is $53 (!).
Old January 29th 11, 01:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Jan 28, 8:27*pm, wrote:
I have an *8250. *It started making a low buzzing noise about a week
ago. *Not very loud, and not all of the time. *I thought that it was
the CPU fan (maybe a bit dusty), so I opened up the computer and found
out it wasn't the CPU fan that was making the noise, it was the PSU
(Power Supply Unit). * So, I guess this means that the PSU is dying
and that it's tine to get a new one? *I think that for this model Dell
computer, you can't just use any PSU, it has to e a Dell PSU. *I found
an 8250 Dell PSU on ebay for $23, but the shipping cost is $53 (!).

I did buy a used Dell that had a CoolMax PSU as a replacement...but
going to their site I'm not sure how you can tell if it will fit.
Ben would most likely know.
Old January 29th 11, 03:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 05:03:11 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Jan 28, 8:27*pm, wrote:
I have an *8250. *It started making a low buzzing noise about a week
ago. *Not very loud, and not all of the time. *I thought that it was
the CPU fan (maybe a bit dusty), so I opened up the computer and found
out it wasn't the CPU fan that was making the noise, it was the PSU
(Power Supply Unit). * So, I guess this means that the PSU is dying
and that it's tine to get a new one? *I think that for this model Dell
computer, you can't just use any PSU, it has to e a Dell PSU. *I found
an 8250 Dell PSU on ebay for $23, but the shipping cost is $53 (!).

I did buy a used Dell that had a CoolMax PSU as a replacement...but
going to their site I'm not sure how you can tell if it will fit.
Ben would most likely know.

What model Dell computer did you buy? Maybe it was a newer computer
than the 8250 Dimension that I have?
I do remember something about Dell using proprietary PSUs in their
computers and that if you wanted to use a standard PSU in one of their
computers you needed an adapter to connect the PSU to the motherboard.
But Dell went to standard PSUs a few years ago.
I have an old computer that I haven't used in years, if the PSU on my
Dell dies, it would be good to know that I could use the PSU from that
computer in the Dell.
Old January 29th 11, 03:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:27*pm, wrote:
[...]

I believe somewhere after 2001 they went to std. ATX pin connectors.
He's what I googled: http://www.911forpcs.com/de8282posu2n.html
I can't say anything for the quality. The CoolMax should also fit :
http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDet...egory=sin gle
(It was in a Dim 3000)

I would wait for input from more experienced techs.
Old January 29th 11, 04:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:27*pm, wrote:
[...]

Okay.
I'll check out the links.
Thank you for taking the time to check this out for me.
Old January 29th 11, 07:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDet...CA-300&details....
(It was in a Dim 3000)

I would wait for input from more experienced techs.

Okay.
I'll check out the links.
Thank you for taking the time to check this out for me.

Been there...not a problem.
Old January 30th 11, 11:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bruce Varney

wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

I believe the only problem you may have is if you buy a power supply with an
on/off switch on it. You will have to do a bit of surgery to the case so
the switch doesn't foul the case metalwork.

Old January 30th 11, 01:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

"taking the time to check this out" was not a problem. But I know what
you are saying...Dremel the case or spacers and longer screws.
Old January 30th 11, 05:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:05:41 -0000, "Bruce Varney"
wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

I hadn't thought about that, I'll make sure to get a PSU without an on
off switch. You've possibly saved me a few headaches, thanks.
Old February 1st 11, 02:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 1/28/2011 9:27 PM, wrote:
I have an 8250. It started making a low buzzing noise about a week
ago. Not very loud, and not all of the time. I thought that it was
the CPU fan (maybe a bit dusty), so I opened up the computer and found
out it wasn't the CPU fan that was making the noise, it was the PSU
(Power Supply Unit). So, I guess this means that the PSU is dying
and that it's tine to get a new one? I think that for this model Dell
computer, you can't just use any PSU, it has to e a Dell PSU. I found
an 8250 Dell PSU on ebay for $23, but the shipping cost is $53 (!).

the dell dimension 8250 has a generic atx power supply. the propritary
dell power supplies pre-date this model buy perhaps two generations.
dell sell replacement power supplies for about $30 plus shipping.
genuine dell replacements can also be found on ebay starting at about
$22 delivered. i would avoid non-dell replacements despite claims of
high wattage unless it is from a reputable company in which case the
price would likely be over $90. plus the generic ones may have the
socket for the power cord in a different place, or a switch or light
that protrudes and makes it a bit more difficult to fit (may have to
bend part of the opening to make it fit). alternatively you could
simply replace the fan in your current and obviously working unit. it
is a standard 80mm fan that cost under $5 delivered from many sellers on
ebay. but a word of caution before installing such a fan - the pwoer
supply is sealed for a reason - it contains potentially leathal
electrical charges. so if you don't know how to ground electronics then
you should not open it. but if you do then go ahead and get a cheap
replacement fan and install it. and instead of soldering it to the
circuit board you may find it easier to just cut the current fan wires a
few inches from the board and slice the new fan to those wires. before
closing up the power supply note the direction the fan blows air... it
should be blowing air out of the power supply. good luck.