Refill methods, Brother

Old August 23rd 08, 03:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Don Phillipson[_4_]

Default Refill methods, Brother

I have here a refill kit and some empty Brother LC51
cartridges, so might as well try to refill them: but I do
not see where to start, e.g. see no likely insertion point
on the shell (and can feel none under paper labels.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 24th 08, 12:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
fb[_4_]

measekite wrote:
Start on page 1 of the Brother manual where it says Congratulations.

Damn! You learned to read? Or did you have an adult read that for you?
Old August 24th 08, 01:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Don Phillipson[_2_]

"measekite" wrote in message
Start on page 1 of the Brother manual where it says Congratulations.

Thank you for making me feel so young -- just as in 1984,
when members of the Kaypro UG so wanted a TSR screen
capture utility that they wrote to the manufacturer asking
for one. The manufacturer's reply was that it was impossible.
But our neighbour Bob, the ASM maven, wrote one before
the next meeting.

Most computer users can actually do things the makers say
are impossible, I have been clever enough to invent a couple
of these things, but not too proud to ask others' experience
if it might save time. (This is why I also read manuals when
provided, thus know Brother provides no "manual." Its documents
are called User Guides.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 24th 08, 09:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Balgert

On Aug 23, 10:27*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
I have here a refill kit and some empty Brother LC51
cartridges, so might as well try to refill them: *but I do
not see where to start, e.g. see no likely insertion point
on the shell (and can feel none under paper labels.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

My printer uses the LC41 -- different, I know but still just an "ink
tank" with no printhead. The LC41 is designed with a vent at the top
of the cartirdge, and a valvestem at the bottom of it. I can simply
refill by holding cartridge upright, take a Kleenex and cover the
valvestem and pressing in on it then injection ink through a syringe
without a needle into the rubber grommet opening. Once it is full
visually, I reverse the process. Never had any problems and no
invasive surgery to the cartridge.

The LC51 is similar in design excepting it is a plastic bladder. You
just need to find the ideal angle to refill so that you don't inject
ink straight through to the vent and valvestem. From looking at
various refill pages for LC51 on the net, I believe if you place the
rubber grommet to the bottom of your view and refill in that
orientation it should work to near fill it.