ATX backplate

Old August 2nd 03, 01:38 AM
Silence Seeker

Default ATX backplate

Is it only me who never experienced an easy installation of those ATX
backplates?

I have built quite a few PCs in my lifetime (including those original
PC XTs...), but my experience with MECHANICALLY fitting ATX
motherboards into a case so that both the standoffs holes and the
backplate fit - is simply horrible. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Sam
Old August 2nd 03, 03:22 AM
Roy Coorne

Silence Seeker a écrit:
Is it only me who never experienced an easy installation of those ATX
backplates?

No.

I have built quite a few PCs in my lifetime (including those original
PC XTs...), but my experience with MECHANICALLY fitting ATX
motherboards into a case so that both the standoffs holes and the
backplate fit - is simply horrible. What am I doing wrong?

You choose unsatisfactory combinations of case and mainboard.
I have no probs with, e.g., Asus boards and Chenbro cases.

Roy

Old August 2nd 03, 04:32 AM
rcm

Cheap cases are a problem, you sometimes have to fiddle with it to fit.

But it was the same with AT cases and motherboards too. Some cases and
motherboards fit well, other combinations were terrible.

Old August 2nd 03, 03:33 PM
Peter Ives

In article , Silence
Seeker writes
Is it only me who never experienced an easy installation of those ATX
backplates?

I have built quite a few PCs in my lifetime (including those original
PC XTs...), but my experience with MECHANICALLY fitting ATX
motherboards into a case so that both the standoffs holes and the
backplate fit - is simply horrible. What am I doing wrong?

When you've done a few casebuilds you end up with a large selection of
spacers from which to choose, generally one type of which will produce
the correct height for the board so that it slots into the backplate
nicely.
--
Peter Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS only before sending me an email
Old August 3rd 03, 04:37 AM
Silence Seeker

Conor wrote in message t...
In article ,
says...
Is it only me who never experienced an easy installation of those ATX
backplates?

I have built quite a few PCs in my lifetime (including those original
PC XTs...), but my experience with MECHANICALLY fitting ATX
motherboards into a case so that both the standoffs holes and the
backplate fit - is simply horrible. What am I doing wrong?

Buying cheap cases.

An all aluminum case, the CheckerCube-2215 is a cheap case?
(
http://www.caseoutlet.com/case/Check...cube-2215.html)

I bought a "VIA Tech MB M-10000-Nehemiah" motherboard with a case
that supposedly was designed specifically for it
(http://www.caseoutlet.com/NWPc/Check...cker-2215.html).

The backplate fits perfectly into the case. However, it seems very
difficult for me to align the holes of the motherboard with the
standoffs on the case - it requires pushing the motherboard against
the backplate/case with force that seems excessive for such a delicate
motherboard.

From experience I know that usually when things require too much
force, I am doing something wrong. But what is it that I am doing
wrong? Is there a trick that I don't know about, regarding those
numerous "springs" in the backplate?

The problem is, I have never found any documentation (written or on
the internet) on how to mount this part. It seems that both the
motherboard and the case manufacturers assume and count on common
sense to assmble this. But it seems that my common sense doesn't work
so well with ATX cases... :-(

Any help, hint or pointer would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam