“Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2018”

Old March 15th 19, 05:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default “Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2018”

On 1/25/19 4:22 PM, I wrote:

“Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2018”
*** https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...tats-for-2018/

“As of December 31, 2018, we had 106,919 spinning hard drives. Of
that number, there were 1,965 boot drives and 104,954 data drives.
This review looks at the hard drive failure rates for the data drive
models in operation in our data centers. In addition, we’ll take a
look at the new hard drive models we’ve added in 2018 including our
12 TB HGST and 14 TB Toshiba drives. Along the way we’ll share
observations and insights on the data presented and we look forward
to you doing the same in the comments.”

“There are no more 4 TB Western Digital drives; the last of them was
replaced in Q4. This leaves us with only 383 Western Digital drives
remaining — all 6 TB drives. That’s 0.37% of our drive farm. We do
have plenty of drives from HGST (owned by WDC), but over the years
we’ve never been able to get the quantity of Western Digital drives
we need at a reasonable price.”

“In 2016 the average size of hard drives in use was 4.5 TB. By 2018
the average size had grown to 7.7 TB.”

“The Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) for 2018 for all drive models was
just 1.25%, well below the rates from previous years as we’ll discuss
later on in this review.”

“None of the 45 Toshiba 5 TB drives (model: MD04ABA500V) has failed
since Q2 2016. While the drive count is small, that’s still a pretty
good run.”

“The Seagate 10 TB drives (model: ST10000NM0086) continue to impress
as their AFR for 2018 was just 0.33%. That’s based on 1,220 drives
and nearly 500,000 drive days, making the AFR pretty solid.”

In particular, it looks like Seagate drives are becoming more reliable.

Sorry. I don't know what happened to the text of my reply in my

I thought it was one specific model that caused people to denigrate
Seagate drives -- ST3000DM???.

Three of my five original ST32000641AS drives (60K Hours so far) and
five of my six original ST6000DX000 drives (30K Hours so far) are still
going strong. The failed ST32000641AS drives were replaced by
ST2000DM??? drives, and the failed ST6000DX000 by a 6TB HGST NAS drive.

It's just occurred to me: What does BackBlaze count as a "failure"? Even
a few bad sectors, or total failure? The ST6000DX000 I replaced in my
NAS machine because of its 8 bad sectors is still in service in a
less-critical environment.

Perce

Old March 16th 19, 12:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 3/15/2019 11:29 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 1/25/19 4:22 PM, I wrote:

[...]

I would ask them. Andy Klein has answered several questions at:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...tats-for-2018/

Lynn

Old March 16th 19, 02:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 3/15/2019 11:29 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

It's just occurred to me: What does BackBlaze count as a "failure"? Even
a few bad sectors, or total failure? The ST6000DX000 I replaced in my
NAS machine because of its 8 bad sectors is still in service in a
less-critical environment.

Perce

https://www.backblaze.com/how-long-d...ives-last.html

and

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/alas-...ephen-is-dead/

are two explanations of what failure means. Basically hard failure
(death) and soft failure (willing to keep on serving with errors).

Lynn