Are Latitudes Much Better vs. E1505's

Old July 25th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

Default Are Latitudes Much Better vs. E1505's

Well I am shopping between the two.
Coupons for the Latitudes D820's are hard to find but some are out there.
Better ones are there for the E1505 Inspiron.
Daughter likes the durability and lack of bloat ware supposed better tech.
support etc. of the latitude but seems like the Insiron E1505 has more bang
for the buck.
So there is my dilemma......

Can I get any chatter about this situation?

~ $1500 or so is what she wants with a 15 inch screen....she is in graduate
school and likes to dabble in digital media music and esp. pictures.

I also want to order a laptop and I am considering getting one very close to
what she gets so we can keep in touch about "our same" laptop computers and
give each other tips.

please help me get there and give me some ideas and comparisons???

--
~Bill~

Old July 25th 06, 02:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Fathergoose" wrote in message
[...]

Latitudes have advantages for corporations, as they share peripherals and
stay pretty 'constant'.

Inspirons are outstanding too and the E1505 is one of the best. I have the
6000, which is the same case but older processor, and simply love it. Great
for digital everything.

Tom

Old July 25th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

Your subject line seems to start out with the assertion that Latitudes
are better.

Bloatware can be removed by a fresh reinstall of software.

I think if the Inspiron is bought through Small Business the support
is provided by the same techs.

Both can do digital media esp. pictures about the same, although it
depends whether she is using Photoshop editing or something more
simple. If the former, availability of dedicated video may be a
factor (though I doubt that's what you are referring to).

Personally, as a student I would probably want the Latitude D6xx. I
think that allows for the "S" type resolution and is lighter than the
D5xx (I may be mistaken). Also, as a student, I like having the
modular bay for hot swapping additional batteries. Also, the D6xx
would be lighter than the E1505 and more portable esp. when combined
with books.

I use both an Inspiron 630m (14") and E1505. If I were a student, I
would prefer the 14" form factor for portability, with an external
monitor for "home base"

Old July 25th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

[...]

================
Hemmm still looking and comparing.....thanks Tom for your thoughts.
Bill

Old July 25th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Clint

Couple things... The Latitudes used to have a "tri-metal" framework or
something like that. Supposed to be more rigid and durable. Some of the
Latitudes also offer true docking stations, as opposed to a USB based
system.

Clint

Old July 25th 06, 06:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"Clint" wrote:

Couple things... The Latitudes used to have a "tri-metal" framework or
something like that. Supposed to be more rigid and durable. Some of the
Latitudes also offer true docking stations, as opposed to a USB based
system.

Latitudes come with old serial port connectors still
tho, right?
Old July 25th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
"Clint" wrote:

Couple things... The Latitudes used to have a "tri-metal" framework or
something like that. Supposed to be more rigid and durable. Some of the
Latitudes also offer true docking stations, as opposed to a USB based
system.

Latitudes come with old serial port connectors still
tho, right?

It would appear so, yes. Link to a photo of the rear of a D620:

http://www.pconline.com.cn/notebook/...DELLD620_2.jpg

Old July 25th 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

wrote in message
"Clint" wrote:

Couple things... The Latitudes used to have a "tri-metal" framework or
something like that. Supposed to be more rigid and durable. Some of the
Latitudes also offer true docking stations, as opposed to a USB based
system.

Latitudes come with old serial port connectors still
tho, right?

It would appear so, yes. Link to a photo of the rear of a D620:

http://www.pconline.com.cn/notebook/...DELLD620_2.jpg

Depends on the model. Some do, some don't. Some are rebadged Inspirons (or
vice-versa)

Old July 26th 06, 12:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"Tom Scales" wrote:

Latitudes come with old serial port connectors still
tho, right?

It would appear so, yes. Link to a photo of the rear of a D620:

http://www.pconline.com.cn/notebook/...DELLD620_2.jpg

Ok

I wish you could buy the Latitudes without the serial
port.

And all USB2 instead
Old July 26th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

The D420,520,620, and 820 all have serial ports.

The X1 does not. That's pretty much the entire current line except for the
ultra-thin.

I'm not even sure any current any Inspirons offer it, since it's legacy.

Stew