Creative lies about Sound Blaster Live! Platinum [previous pt5]

Old May 4th 04, 03:39 PM
P Moyst

Default Creative lies about Sound Blaster Live! Platinum [previous pt5]

Please, keep in mind that the software configuration will need to be
adjusted to make it possible for you to receive Dolby Digital sound and
you need to be playing a file that is encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1.

Software Settings that Need to be Configured:
1. The speaker configuration should be set to 5.1 speakers.
2. AC3 decode needs to be unchecked.
3. Digital output only needs to be checked.
4. Adjust the Sampling Rate setting in Device Controls.
5. Play a file that is encoded with a 5.1, such as an AC3 file or DVD
movie (speaker test doesn't test using an AC3 file and will only play 2
speaker sound).

SETTING SPEAKER SELECTION TO 5.1
1. Go to Start Settings Control Panel Audio HQ Speaker
2. Set the speaker selection to 5.1

MAKE SURE SURE AC3 DECODE IS NOT CHECKED
1. Go to Start Settings Control Panel Audio HQ Speaker.
2. Click on the Settings button
3. Make sure the box AC-3 decode is NOT checked.
4. Search for a file with an .AC3 extension and test to be sure 5.1
sound is working.

ENABLE DIGITAL OUTPUT ONLY
1. Go to Start Settings Control Panel Audio HQ Speaker.
2. In speaker, check digital output only.

ADJUSTING SAMPLE RATE
1. Go to Start Settings Control Panel Audio HQ Device
Controls..

2. In device controls, select the sampling rate tab and adjust the
sampling rate setting.
(Note: Only adjust sampling rate if you are unable to receive 5.1 by
configuring the other options.)

TEST DOLBY DIGITAL USING AN AC3 FILE
1. Download / Search for a file with an .AC3 extension.
2. Open this file using PlayCenter.
3. You should hear sound from all 5 speakers or your receiver will
indicate that it is receiving a dolby digital signal.

Note: There are audio options within the DVD software that need to be
configured for dolby digital passthrough. These options are different
depending on what software you have. If you need clarification on what
needs to be enabled or checked, then reply with all the options
available under Audio properties within your DVD software.

In addition, you should be connecting via an 1/8 inch mono male to
digital RCA male cable to properly carry the AC3 stream. If you do not
have this cable, then you can purchase one for $6.99 (not including
shipping and applicable taxes). If you would like to order this cable,
then reply with the following information.

Name:
Address:
City, State, ZIP :
Phone number - Day :
Phone number - Eve :
Email Address:

Please, do not reply with payment method. I will contact you via phone
for payment information and preferred shipping method. At that time, I
will also verify the shipping address and give you your order number.

For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
replying to this email.

Best Regards

Darci (12433)
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Darci

Unfortunately, the only way that AC3 bitstream works IS with the DXR3.
I have now removed that card. PASS-THROUGH(soft-decode) defined in
your support base website for AC3 does not work. It worked for 98.
But doesn't for XP. What drivers can I use for my card to GET it to
work.

Again my equipment from YOUR company:
Sound Blaster Live! PLATINUM (Model CT4760) NOT 5.1 -
1999 release
Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT2500
Digital (the one with the AC3 decoder - the said
"external decoder) [1999 release]
PC-DVD Encore 8X with DXR3 [1999 release] (now REMOVED from my
computer - the DVD-ROM replace with YOUR Creative
DVD+/- 8X Dual [2003 release], the DXR3 just removed and PCI slot
subsequently freed).

Now, lets here the solution! Is there a line in the
Registry I can change to get the AC3 Decode checkbox
to show up in Speaker settings? Or any other way to
trick the computer to think I have the Platinum 5.1? I
assume that the "passthrough" is DISABLED in XP by
default (it must be). Is there any direct or
roundabout way I can ENABLE it somehow? I am open to
any official or non-official suggestions!

--- Creative Americas Technical Support

Unfortunately, the DXR3 is not supported under Windows XP because the
only download drivers and software for Windows XP are beta.

I apologize if this has caused you any
inconvenience.

Unfortunately, apologies are not getting my PASSTHROUGH to work.

For faster service please reply with previous
correspondence when replying to this email.

Best Regards

Darci (12433)
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Please see responses inside.

--- Creative Americas Technical Support
wrote:
Dear P,

Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support.
It appears you have connected the DTT2500 to the
Dxr3.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I investigated the
problem further since I sent you the last email. It
appears that the _only_ way I can get AC3/Dolby
Digital to work on my Creative Cambridge Soundworks
DTT 5.1 2500 Digital (as confirmed by the "Dolby
Digital" LED in the on state on the front of the DTT
2500 "decoder/amplifier", and, the AC3Test.VOB file
from Dolby giving correct results (5 discrete
channels + LFE)) is by using "hard decode" on the dxr3 mpeg-2
decoder card, i.e., when I connect the RCA-to-RCA
cable, which is called the "Dolby Digital (AC-3)
Audio S/PDIF cable" in the Creative dxr3 decoder card
manual, from the "Dolby Digital (AC-3) Audio S/PDIF
jack" on the back of the dxr3 card (in the form of
an RCA plug output) to the RCA input plug ("Dolby
Digital AC-3 SPDIF In") on the desktop DTT2500
"decoder/amplifier". It seems that Windows XP Home
Edition allows the stream/signal to "passthrough"
the dxr3 card to the "decoder/amplifier" via the RCA-RCA
cable so that the DTT 2500 properly outputs Dolby
Digital when appropriate (i.e. using a file or DVD
with AC3/Dolby Digital content).

I would like you to try connecting the DTT2500
directly to the soundcard instead. First of all,
please remove the Dxr3 from the PCI slot.

Before I do that, I want you to read the rest of
this reply and then we can decide to continue with
removing the dxr3 card.

Next, get an adaptor from Customer Service if it
did not come with your speaker set. This adaptor has a
digital stereo jack on one end and the other end
splits into both an RCA jack and a Din connector.

The 1/8th inch plug should go into the Digital
Output on the sound card (yellow or orange in color, or the
jack farthest from the fire wire port on the Audigy
or the game port on the Live! 5.1 card). The din
connector would go into the din on the speakers. The
RCA jack needs to connect to Dolby Digial/AC3 input
on the speakers.

Yes. The adaptor you refer too (referred to as a
Y-adaptor) is already connected exactly as you
described above. I always used that connection only
both w[hen] I had WIN 98SE and now with WIN XP Home
Edition. I never used the tandem audio cable (in
the form of minijack plugs) to connect the analog audio
outputs (Line Out and Rear Out) to the Line In and
Rear In, respectively, to the back of the DTT 2500
decoder/amplifier. The SPDIF DIN cable (whose ends
are red for mine) was always connected. The input
switch on the back of the decoder/amplifier is
always on "Auto" and not "Analog". The 1/8 inch plug on my
y-adaptor is yellow and is connected to the "jack
farthest away from my gameport" (what the manual for
my model CT4760 of Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
calls the "Digital out jack") on my Sound Blaster Live!
Platinum card. Remember, this is not a Sound
Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 (the model which may be CT4860)

Make sure you have digital output selected:

1. Go to Start Programs Creative SB Live
Surround Mixer
2. Click on the (+) above the main volume control.
3. Make sure there is a check next to "Use Digital
Output Only"

I always had this box checked on.

DISABLE AC3 DECODING
1. Go to Start Programs Sound Blaster Live
Audigy HQ Speakers Advanced or Settings button.
2. Click on the small dot underneath "AC3 Decode"
(some versions will have a check box) so that the
AC3 option is either Unchecked, or is grey in color.

This is where I start running into the problem. I
downloaded from your site installed the
LiveDriveUni-Pack(ENG).exe release 28 Feb 2003
23.32MB SBLW-XPWEB-W4-US when I bought Windows XP Home
Edition and this seemed to "take away" the "ac3 passthrough"
ability for the Sound Blaster Live! Platinum that
functioned previously in Windows 98 SE. I just
acquired the Creative DVD+/-RW 8X Dual recently,
before that I used the PC DVD Encore 8X Drive that
came with the dxr3 card in Windows 98 SE
environment. The Creative PC-DVD Player application that came
with the Encore 8x package had an radio button option
under advanced audio for "AC3 passthrough". When I chose
this, the "passthrough" feature worked properly
(i.e. I could disconnect the RCA output end of the jack
from the dxr3 card which "hard decoded" and connect it to
the Y-adaptor you described above to the RCA plug on
the split end connected to the Digital Out Jack of
the Live! Platinum and, behold, have the Dolby Digital
single reach the decoder/amplifier unmolested,
therefore lighting up the Dolby Digital LED for
media with AC3 content and get 5.1 surround as tested by
the AC3Test.VOB file). The passthrough also worked with
other DVD player applications also in 98 SE.
Successful "soft decode" took place!

Now, with Windows XP Home Edition, the PC-DVD player
is different and does not allow you to choose a
"passthrough" option, just "AC3" that you must "hard
decode" (i.e. connect the RCA cable to the output of
the dxr3 card). The software that came with the
Creative DVD+/- 8X Dual Drive, Nero Media Showtime,
does not allow "passthrough" either. Therefore, I
still cannot "soft-decode" AC3/Dolby Digital Signal
under Windows XP Home Edition.

Another part of this problem: The updated drivers,
according to your website, that I installed only
allowed three speaker setup options; 4 speaker, 2
speaker, headphone. This makes sense since the
CT4760 does not have a AC3/Dolby Digital functionality
"onboard" like the Platinum Live 5.1 and the Audigy
does, and therefore requires an external amplifier/decoder
such as my DTT 2500.
What doesn't make sense is why "passthrough/soft decode" (diff.
from bypass) works in Win 98SE but not in Windows XP
Home Edition.

PS: In the speakers control applet you describe
above, I do not have "AC3 decode" option. So technically,
I cannot "disable AC3 decoding" in this applet. And
the only way I can access the area I think you mean
(since I do not have "Audigy HQ", just "Audio HQ" with
Creative logo on its side on the side of the window)
is by this method in the "Audio HQ" Window -- "set
multimedia devices toolbar button" or click "view"
in

=== message truncated ===