Windowsupdates for NAS boxes

Old June 29th 04, 08:18 PM
Scott

Default Windowsupdates for NAS boxes

Hello,

I just purchased a Dell 725 NAS box. I loved it, until I ran
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.

When I did that, it showed several critical patches that needed to be
installed (the one that fixed the SLAMMER worm of 2 years ago was one
of them).

When I called Dell, they told me, among other things:

* Call Microsoft
* If you patch it, you will blue screen the device because it does not
have a fully functional SQL server on it
* It might be vulnerable (no joke, he said that)
* and then I was told to call Microsoft.

I called Microsoft. One of the many things they told me was:

* Call Dell (of course)
* That Microsoft Windows Powered was actually Windows 2000 Advanced
Server SP4.

My concern is that there are two sql services running on it, and they
are needed in order to use the web management console. Also, should I
be going to Windows Update to patch this, or will it possibly create
an unstable environment?

Any thoughts, or websites you know about would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott

Shipping Boxes Tim Homebuilt PC's 10 January 8th 05 07:25 PM
CD Mailing Boxes Wanted Brian O Cdr 5 October 15th 04 08:38 PM
Dialog boxes expand to fill parent using FX5700 LE bsisson Nvidia Videocards 0 September 21st 04 08:13 PM
Best Buy has fake X800 boxes for sale Destroy Ati Videocards 0 May 8th 04 09:14 PM
FX5600 and multiple monitor dialog boxes - how can Nvidia stuff it up so bad? derob Nvidia Videocards 1 August 18th 03 11:15 PM