Do You Believe in Registry Cleaners?

Old September 9th 10, 01:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Default Do You Believe in Registry Cleaners?

I used to, as a computer novice in the mid 90s and let other people that had
no idea what they were doing talk me into them.
I'm not having any problems but I'm sure there are errant files in there
that need removed/moved/fixed. Are Reg Cleaners EVER
a good idea? Maybe by now they're improved?? If so, are there any "free"
reg cleaners you guys would suggest?
Thanks,
Monica

Old September 9th 10, 01:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 19:02:44 -0500, "Monica"
wrote:

I used to, as a computer novice in the mid 90s and let other people that had
no idea what they were doing talk me into them.
I'm not having any problems but I'm sure there are errant files in there
that need removed/moved/fixed. Are Reg Cleaners EVER
a good idea? Maybe by now they're improved?? If so, are there any "free"
reg cleaners you guys would suggest?
Thanks,
Monica

I've tried many over the years and some are more aggressive than
others ... sometimes with less than desireable results. I think for
most, not necessary but for some who say... install / uninstall a lot
perhaps worth considering. Of course the best way is to do a clean
install of everything to have a lean clean registry but that's time
consuming.

So I won't recommend any but do yourself a favor if you try any and
make sure you have a recent backup and try to make a restore point
prior to using a registry cleaner until you have a lot of confidence
in your cleaner.
Old September 9th 10, 01:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 9/8/2010 8:02 PM, Monica wrote:
I used to, as a computer novice in the mid 90s and let other people that had
no idea what they were doing talk me into them.
I'm not having any problems but I'm sure there are errant files in there
that need removed/moved/fixed. Are Reg Cleaners EVER
a good idea? Maybe by now they're improved?? If so, are there any "free"
reg cleaners you guys would suggest?
Thanks,
Monica

I can wholeheartedly recommend CCleaner, after using it for several
years, and installing it on many clients' computers. The Windows
registry does grow and grow and grow, and it has no built-in mechanisms
to remove obsolete entries, yet another idiocy of software design from
good old Micro$oft. I can say neither I nor my clients have ever, ever
had a problem with CCleaner's massaging of the registry. (You do need
to be very careful, however, with CCleaner's cleanup of junk files, as
there can be unintended consequences from asking it to remove files.
CCleaner is far more thorough than Windows' own Disk Cleanup.)

I have seen CCleaner remove over 1000 registry entries from old systems
that have had the "benefit" of many software installs and reinstalls
over the years.

When to use a registry cleaner? Use once, if you never have before.
Use after every significant Windows update. Use after uninstalling one
or more software packages, especially large complicated ones, e.g. an
older version of Microsoft Office or an Adobe suite.

What are the benefits? Faster system startup is the primary one.
Slightly reduced memory usage also occurs, because Windows decodes and
loads a working version of the entire registry into memory. Well, not
the entire registry. If the system has more than one userid, only the
part of the registry applicable to a single user gets loaded.

So, if you have a system with multiple userids, run CCleaner for each user.

The Windows registry can also become highly fragmented over time. This,
too, slows down system startup. Windows defrag does not defrag the
registry. Mark Russinovich, once of SysInternals, wrote PageDefrag to
defrag the registry, paging file and hibernation file. Microsoft liked
Mark's work so much (he has written other good tools, too), that they
bought his company, and hired him. Now all the SysInternals software is
available on the Microsoft web site. PageDefrag does not work with
Vista or Windows 7 though... Ben Myers
Old September 9th 10, 01:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

On 9/8/2010 8:02 PM, Monica wrote:
I used to, as a computer novice in the mid 90s and let other people that had
no idea what they were doing talk me into them.
I'm not having any problems but I'm sure there are errant files in there
that need removed/moved/fixed. Are Reg Cleaners EVER
a good idea? Maybe by now they're improved?? If so, are there any "free"
reg cleaners you guys would suggest?
Thanks,
Monica

I have used Ccleaner for several years and have never had a
problem. It is a temporary files cleaner also.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Old September 9th 10, 02:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

So does CCleaner do a registry defrag? I DO have that program but have
never used it. Like I said, I'm not having any issues, everything is
running smoothly and zips right along and I'm not one to add/remove
programs. This system is 1.5 years old and I've only used 28GB of 320. A
friend was running a reg cleaner and it got me to wondering if I should.
I've always been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" gal but I thought I'd
ask you guys what you thought.

Old September 9th 10, 05:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

"Ben wrote in message
[...]

CCleaner does not do a registry defrag. AFAIK, only PageDefrag does... Ben
Old September 9th 10, 05:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 20:57:02 -0500, "Monica"
wrote:

So does CCleaner do a registry defrag? I DO have that program but have
never used it. Like I said, I'm not having any issues, everything is
running smoothly and zips right along and I'm not one to add/remove
programs. This system is 1.5 years old and I've only used 28GB of 320. A
friend was running a reg cleaner and it got me to wondering if I should.
I've always been a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" gal but I thought I'd
ask you guys what you thought.

The current version does not tho it does clean the registry.
To me, it doesn't sound like you need it yet.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/features
Old September 9th 10, 11:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Al Dykes

In article ,
Monica wrote:
I used to, as a computer novice in the mid 90s and let other people that had
no idea what they were doing talk me into them.
I'm not having any problems but I'm sure there are errant files in there
that need removed/moved/fixed. Are Reg Cleaners EVER
a good idea? Maybe by now they're improved?? If so, are there any "free"
reg cleaners you guys would suggest?
Thanks,
Monica

The first time I ran CCleaner on an old XP machine I was amazed how
much was cleaned up. I run it occasionally on several machinrd if only
for the disk space. I've never seen CCleaner repair the registry on
any of my machines.
--
Al Dykes

Old September 9th 10, 12:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Sep 8, 7:02*pm, "Monica" wrote:
I used to, as a computer novice in the mid 90s and let other people that had
no idea what they were doing talk me into them.
I'm not having any problems but I'm sure there are errant files in there
that need removed/moved/fixed. *Are Reg Cleaners EVER
a good idea? *Maybe by now they're improved?? *If so, are there any "free"
reg cleaners you guys would suggest?
Thanks,
Monica

I have been using TP (CrapCleaner) for many years for file and reg
clean-up. Files weekly and reg monthly (or immediately after
uninstalling a program).