Super DLT I new tape reliability

Old May 5th 06, 03:16 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Super DLT I new tape reliability

Hi All,

We have been having intermittent problems as of late labeling brand
new Quantum SuperDLT I tapes in SDLT320 drives. Have any of you seen
any quality control issues with brand new media?

Because of this, I am researching using another vendor for our Super
DLT tapes. Any opinions on vendor choices? ie Maxell, Fuji, Imation
etc..

Thanks,

Keith
Old May 5th 06, 03:36 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

In article ,
Keith wrote:
Hi All,

We have been having intermittent problems as of late labeling brand
new Quantum SuperDLT I tapes in SDLT320 drives. Have any of you seen
any quality control issues with brand new media?

Because of this, I am researching using another vendor for our Super
DLT tapes. Any opinions on vendor choices? ie Maxell, Fuji, Imation
etc..

I used any brand that had a lifetime replacement warranty.

The software I was using (BackupExec) reported soft error rates. Most
tapes showed very low numbers. A few had high rates and I just used
these tapes when i had to send some data out so I would probably never
see that tape again and might get a better one back. :-)

I never saw a hard error or had to return a tape on warranty.

I bought almost all my tapes on ebay. I knew which brands had good
warranties so i couldn't go wrong, even for used tapes. I always
liked Fuji products.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. Proudly then, even more so in hindsight.
Old May 8th 06, 03:16 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

I've also been using Quantum branded SDLT 320 tapes and lost 4 of my
drives last week due to the tapes have suddenly going bad. They weren't
much more a year old. Quantum's media inspection guide isn't much help,
as all my tapes appear to be within spec. In light of this, I'm
decomissioning the entire lot of Quantum tapes I have in use. I have
some Imation branded tapes I'm using now until I get some replacements.

For what it's worth, I used a lot of Fuji branded taped with my older
DLT80 drives and NEVER had a problem.