newbe sound blaster live! 24bit pci card question....

Old August 4th 05, 01:50 AM
bob brozewicz

Default newbe sound blaster live! 24bit pci card question....

hi all,

im thinking about buying a sound blaster live! 24 bit pci card to
replace my onboard realtek ac97 sound card. you cant beat the price at
$24 to $29

the sound quality will be better just because, im assuming and still
reading and looking for reviews and articles.

my question is this! does a sound card act as a video card where the
sound card will free cycles from the processor. when i play music using
windows media player my systems slows considerably when using other
applications at the same time such as firefox and thunderbird.

im running a gateway 310s with an intel thrasher r1 mother board, a
celeron d 2.8 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, an ati 9200 pci video card
and an antec 350 watt power supply and five internal fans. this rig does
o.k. for what i use it for.

im also thinking of replacing the processor with a pentium iv x.x ghz
processor, but thats another story to discuss somewhere else.

any comments or links to reviews on the creative sound blaster live! 24
bit pci card would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

i'll continue to look on my own also.

bob brozewicz
pittsburgh, pa.
Old August 4th 05, 02:50 AM
bob brozewicz

bob brozewicz wrote:
[...]

one other thing to ask, will this card work with creative inspire t300
2.1 speakers?
Old August 4th 05, 04:37 PM
Folk

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:50:23 GMT, bob brozewicz
wrote:

my question is this! does a sound card act as a video card where the
sound card will free cycles from the processor. when i play music using
windows media player my systems slows considerably when using other
applications at the same time such as firefox and thunderbird.

Yes. Onboard sound solutions (like your Realtek) use the CPU for
signal processing. The SBLive card has a built-in digital signal
processor that will offload the work from the CPU.

Windows Media Player is probably a bit of a resource hog. I recommend
Winamp version 2.1. It's an older version but works great and has a
small footprint.

Old August 5th 05, 05:53 AM
bob brozewicz

wrote:

my question is this! does a sound card act as a video card where the
sound card will free cycles from the processor. when i play music using
windows media player my systems slows considerably when using other
applications at the same time such as firefox and thunderbird.

Yes. Onboard sound solutions (like your Realtek) use the CPU for
signal processing. The SBLive card has a built-in digital signal
processor that will offload the work from the CPU.

this is exactly what i have read so far.

Windows Media Player is probably a bit of a resource hog. I recommend
Winamp version 2.1. It's an older version but works great and has a
small footprint.

ill see if i can find/download from the winamp site. there is also a wmp
replacement on sourceforge that is open source and suppose to be lighter
on resource consumption. i'll try and find this one as well.

thanks for taking the time to responded to my post. much appreciated.

bob b.

Old August 6th 05, 01:23 AM
Shep©

wrote:

[...]

There are loads of good mp3 players around.Even the software that come
with your sound card will play them.Winamp is not that good
IMHO.However there are some people who stick to it like it's religion.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Old September 15th 05, 08:07 PM
tod

The Sound Blaster live 24-bit does not free up CPU cycles
like the Audigy cards.
The Live 24-bit is crippled to force the drivers to use the CPU
for sound processing.
You would need to get the Audigy 2 value to get the advantage
of freeing up CPU cycles for the sound