drive capacity growth curve

Old January 16th 08, 12:37 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

Default drive capacity growth curve

Does anyone have, or able to point me at, a chart with a drive
capacity growth curve?

I could create it myself but I do not know when each drive capacity
was released.

Thanks.

~F
Old January 16th 08, 03:21 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Faeandar wrote:
Does anyone have, or able to point me at, a chart with a drive
capacity growth curve?

I could create it myself but I do not know when each drive capacity
was released.

Thanks.

~F

how about you do some research?

There's this thing called the "internet".
Old January 16th 08, 10:29 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:21:46 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Faeandar wrote:
Does anyone have, or able to point me at, a chart with a drive
capacity growth curve?

I could create it myself but I do not know when each drive capacity
was released.

Thanks.

~F

how about you do some research?

There's this thing called the "internet".

I did. Google and Yahoo, wikipedia, even drive manufacturers. No
historical information except for one wikipedia page that had drive
capacity growth but from 79 to 99, not exactly what I was looking for.

If you don't know, just don't post.

I found some drive capacity announcement info from NetApp but not the
actual release/ship date, though this is probably close enough.

~F
Old January 16th 08, 11:03 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih

I did. Google and Yahoo, wikipedia, even drive manufacturers. No
historical information except for one wikipedia page that had drive
capacity growth but from 79 to 99, not exactly what I was looking for.

Year 1999-00: 13GB is the usual size of commodity drive.

Beginning of year 2004: 40GB out of production, 80GB are the smallest.

Year 2005: 160GB is the usual size.

This is what I remember.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old January 18th 08, 03:16 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Who Cares

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Faeandar wrote:
Does anyone have, or able to point me at, a chart with a drive
capacity growth curve?

I could create it myself but I do not know when each drive capacity
was released.

Thanks.

~F

how about you do some research?

There's this thing called the "internet".

Try the computer folklore groups if you need ancient history when 1.42
mbytes was hot stuff.

Old January 19th 08, 02:47 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
dbs

On Jan 15, 4:37*pm, Faeandar wrote:
Does anyone have, or able to point me at, a chart with a drive
capacity growth curve?

I could create it myself but I do not know when each drive capacity
was released.

Thanks.

~F

Did you look at http://www.disktrend.com/pdf/portrpkg.pdf

Dave
Old January 20th 08, 02:34 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Jan 16, 12:37*am, Faeandar wrote:
Does anyone have, or able to point me at, a chart with a drive
capacity growth curve?

I could create it myself but I do not know when each drive capacity
was released.

Thanks.

~F

the rough growth stats of physical drives are around 25% max size
every half year.

500's were common place around june time, 750's are becoming common
place now... expect terabyte drives common place on te shlf around
june time.

just extrapalate that curve out and you get a nasty growth. If you are
plotting this, it is also worth putting another curve on the same chat
to show performance. Generally, as you get bigger drives, it means
that the aggregate levels of i/o that you throw at that sam drive also
increases, this can impact in a negative fashion giving you poor
performance. You also need to take into account (if plotting this)
cache on drive, spin speeds etc.

Hope this is of some use

thks,

B.