about power supply

Old July 8th 03, 03:46 PM
V-man

Default about power supply

I think I may need a new power supply (a new case actually).

My question is, does it matter if a power supply is rated as beeing
for a AMD or a P4. Some people have posts saying that they are selling
a power supply ment for a P4, but shouldn't it work for *ALL* ATX
cases?

If I get a 350W PS, it will be ok for current and hopefully future,
right?
My home's power is quite clean, if that matters. My current PS is
crap.

I'm gone be putting a Radeon 9500 128MB soon, which is power hungry in
itself.

V-man
Old July 11th 03, 05:53 PM
V-man

ATX and the revised ATX are different. P4 needs the revised ATX versions,
they have two additional connectors (a 4-pin square and one that looks like
an AT power connector from way back when) in addition to the standard ATX
connector.

I think I heard this somewhere. So a regular ATX won't work with a P4
motherboard?
Do you think that things will change a couple of years later, and I'll
need a new case again.
I'm not upgrading my mobo right now, but I'd like to get a 5GHZ chip +
mobo sometime.

The thing is, these guys keep changing "form factor", or some
connector or some other minor thing making upgrades difficult.

V-man
Old July 11th 03, 09:46 PM
Brooks

heres a GREAT power supply for P4 and ATX boards with Plenty of voltage and
19amps on the 12V end (for Maximum stability).......
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/housebrand430w.html and its the one i have
......... 430W $25.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!

om...

Old July 12th 03, 03:06 AM
KCB

"V-man" wrote in message
om...
I think I may need a new power supply (a new case actually).

My question is, does it matter if a power supply is rated as beeing
for a AMD or a P4. Some people have posts saying that they are selling
a power supply ment for a P4, but shouldn't it work for *ALL* ATX
cases?

If I get a 350W PS, it will be ok for current and hopefully future,
right?
My home's power is quite clean, if that matters. My current PS is
crap.

I'm gone be putting a Radeon 9500 128MB soon, which is power hungry in
itself.

V-man

I get very good performance with the
Enermax Whisper EG-465P-VE 430 Watts
available he (US$88)
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2CB52D35

Old July 12th 03, 04:48 AM
The little lost angel

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:46:55 GMT, "Brooks" wrote:

heres a GREAT power supply for P4 and ATX boards with Plenty of voltage and
19amps on the 12V end (for Maximum stability).......
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/housebrand430w.html and its the one i have
........ 430W $25.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For $25, you must mean a 200W power supply with a 430W sticker on
it...

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or Javascript. No ASP, CF or Frontpage.
Old July 19th 03, 10:25 PM
Tony Hill

On 11 Jul 2003 09:53:52 -0700, (V-man) wrote:
ATX and the revised ATX are different. P4 needs the revised ATX versions,
they have two additional connectors (a 4-pin square and one that looks like
an AT power connector from way back when) in addition to the standard ATX
connector.

I think I heard this somewhere. So a regular ATX won't work with a P4
motherboard?
Do you think that things will change a couple of years later, and I'll
need a new case again.

It's quite possible.

I'm not upgrading my mobo right now, but I'd like to get a 5GHZ chip +
mobo sometime.

Unfortunately no one can really accurately predict if anything you buy
today will be all that upgradable beyond about 6 months time. About
the only major component that hasn't changed in quite some time is the
monitor.

The thing is, these guys keep changing "form factor", or some
connector or some other minor thing making upgrades difficult.

The problem is usually related to power in one, shape or form.
Today's processors require much more and much cleaner power than what
was available a year or two ago, and those processors had much more
stringent requirements than what was available a year or two before
them.

The issue with the P4 wasn't so much that Intel thought everyone
should upgrade their power supplies for the fun of it. Intel just
wanted to avoid the problems that AMD had with people using really
****ty 10-year old power supplies with brand new Athlons. When people
did this, their new Athlon systems would crash randomly, and people
blamed it on AMD for making some sort of shoddy processor. Intel had
the advantage over AMD though of being able to force a new power
supply type onto the market and requiring it for all P4s. As such, no
clueless user could try to use a totally out-dated, low quality power
supply on a new P4 system.

Unfortunately for your situation, this may happen again in the new
future. When Intel introduced the new P4 power supplies, their chips
were only consuming 50-60W, now some P4's are pushing close to the
100W mark, and I suspect that within two years time it won't be
uncommon for desktop chips to consume more than 100W. What's more, in
addition to simply requiring more power, the chips are requiring
cleaner power as well, so the power supplies purchased with original
P4 systems might not cut it. It's therefore possible that a new power
supply spec will come out in the not-too-distant future, though I
suspect that you'll be safe for at least two years time.

Life expectancy Travis King Asus Motherboards 65 January 28th 05 08:37 PM
GP6-300 Power Supply, Radeon video problem Marty Gateway Computers 4 December 12th 04 09:32 PM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
NF7-S power up problem Jeff Green Abit Motherboards 9 January 18th 04 07:06 PM