Notebook lid

Old July 23rd 11, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Barny

Default Notebook lid

What is the maximum(safe) pressure(weight) allowed for notebook Lid
cover?(Dell vostro 1520)
I mean if notebook just stay at the table with closed Lid and if we put some
heavy item onto the Lid cover..
Didn't find, is there some info in specification?

Old July 23rd 11, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Barny wrote:
What is the maximum(safe) pressure(weight) allowed for notebook Lid
cover?(Dell vostro 1520)
I mean if notebook just stay at the table with closed Lid and if we put some
heavy item onto the Lid cover..
Didn't find, is there some info in specification?

First approximation: Zero.

Banish any household member who puts something on it ,
Two days, if the item contains liquid .
Old July 23rd 11, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Barny wrote:
What is the maximum(safe) pressure(weight) allowed for notebook Lid
cover?(Dell vostro 1520)
I mean if notebook just stay at the table with closed Lid and if we put some
heavy item onto the Lid cover..
Didn't find, is there some info in specification?

If you compress the layers of the LCD screen, what will happen ?
LCD isn't designed to be compressed.

At the very least, you run the risk of scratching the front
surface of the LCD, with the keys of the keyboard.

*******

For an imaginative analysis, we could use this info:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/To...ant-laptop.asp

"20 times stronger than ABS plastic"

"Business-rugged Toughbook laptops are compression-tested to
withstand 220 lbs. of pressure"

That means, you can stand on a Toughbook, but if we do the
arithmetic, then 220/20 == 11 lbs for a normal notebook :-) :-)

If you stand on top of your Vostro, I expect all it will be
useful for, is standing on, in the future.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 24th 11, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 7/23/2011 2:36 PM, Paul wrote:
Barny wrote:
[...]

Those "early" ToughBooks were definitely stout. When I was issued a
CF-25 at wurk, I took it down to my Air National Guard base and
"painted" it with a HMMV(GRC-206) tire by driving over it.

It later gained some interesting grouser gouges after I accidentally
backed over it with a SnoCat.

I tried buying it when it went to surplus years later, but they were
donating them to small police departments.... Oh well!

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
Old July 24th 11, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Barny

"Paul" wrote in message
Barny wrote:
[...]

Someone regularly put Power supply block onto a laptop cover, just to save
space on the table, after finishing work.
Power supply unit is around 1.10 lbs.. Seems it's safe enough in this case?

Barny

Old July 24th 11, 10:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_15_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul wrote:
Barny wrote:
[...]

My rule of thumb is to not put stuff on top of laptops *but* for storage
purposes I sometimes oput them on top of each other and NEVER more than
three in a stack.

That's not to say that it's right.... I've just never had a problem with
that. Mind you I'm talking ThinkPads, the latest being made in 2007.... I
once went to put a fourth on a stack as I'm pushed for room and thought
better of it. It just seemed to be too much.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Old July 26th 11, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"Barny" wrote in message
What is the maximum(safe) pressure(weight) allowed for notebook Lid
cover?(Dell vostro 1520)
I mean if notebook just stay at the table with closed Lid and if we put
some
heavy item onto the Lid cover..
Didn't find, is there some info in specification?

An exact pressure or weight is hard to specify because you could probably
rest a large flat object of many Kgs on the laptop and all would be well as
the mass is distributed and the delecate screen inside won't be flexed or
damaged, but anything more than a few hundred grams on just the centre of
the lid could damage the LCD panel.

I currently have 10 CDs and a pair of pliers on mine - near the edge. I
would put much more on it and I don't tend to put things in the centre of
the closed lid. If the lid starts to flex, then you have pushed it the limit
and you are probably flexing or pushing on the delecate LCD panel inside.

Old July 26th 11, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"Nobody (Revisited)" wrote in message
On 7/23/2011 2:36 PM, Paul wrote:
Barny wrote:
[...]

I don't think you leave your laptop in the safest places!!

Old July 26th 11, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 7/26/2011 7:17 AM, GT wrote:
Those "early" ToughBooks were definitely stout. When I was issued a CF-25
at wurk, I took it down to my Air National Guard base and "painted" it
with a HMMV(GRC-206) tire by driving over it.

It later gained some interesting grouser gouges after I accidentally
backed over it with a SnoCat.

I don't think you leave your laptop in the safest places!!

This was a wurk laptop, I treat my own better..

You do have to consider that this was at an electric power utility.
Things get fuzzy when you've been working for 30+ hours straight in a
storm fixing outages

My CF-25 foibles only caused cosmetic damage, if anything it added
character, like holster wear on a good pistol.

One of the bucket truck crews had one fall out of the back of the truck
on the freeway in traffic doing about 50mph. The crew behind saw it fall
out and get run over by 2 to 5 cars, but they were able to stop traffic
and retrieve it. It still worked fine, but did need some case parts
replaced due to cracks.

IIRC, we started out with about 150 CF-25s of the 1st gen P150/P166
version. When they were "officially" phased out 7 years later, 20 were
written off for major physical damage, 15 had bit the dust with major
electronics issues, and 30 were "unaccountable for". I know a lot of
those weren't stolen, just 'conveniently lost' as the users didn't want
to give them up!

If I find one at a price I'm willing to pay, I may still buy one and
load 98SE on it *just because*

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
out of the alleyway with a baseball bat,
saying, "Remember me mother****er?"
Jim “Dandy” Mangrum

Close lid shutdown ?? Barry[_9_] Dell Computers 3 January 7th 09 06:27 PM
Scanner lid that opens lengthwise John Scanners 2 November 30th 04 03:59 PM
4870 Lid Hinges John Wire Scanners 1 September 6th 04 01:51 AM
Lexmark 3150 Can't Close Lid David R Printers 0 June 26th 04 11:19 PM
Notebook cracking lid Craig Sutton Compaq Computers 2 November 7th 03 03:50 AM