GeForce Experience 3 fiasco with standard user account

Old September 11th 16, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Zaghadka

Default GeForce Experience 3 fiasco with standard user account

Does anyone even read this group any more?

Oh well, here goes...

I recently got a forced update to GFE 3. Big problem. It doesn't seem to
work with a standard account. GFE 2 ran fine under a standard account.
When run under a LUA, GFE 3 doesn't let you pick directories, doesn't
detect directories, and doesn't retain checkbox settings. It remembers
your Nvidia login, but that's all it does.

I am running Windows 10 x64 Anniversary.

It's like they forgot to include "users" as a group with permission to
the registry keys that contain the settings data, or the config file only
has admin write permissions/is in a protected directory. I doubt this,
because the virtual directory system probably would have picked up a
file-based config in the protected installer directories and thrown it
into AppData\Local\Virtualstore. If I knew what the keys were, I could
probably change the permissions myself.

If I run GFE 3 in my admin account, it works fine. But none of my game
settings are in the admin account. I use my admin account to *administer
the system*, not as an everyday running environment. I hardly ever use
the actual account, I just use its password to make system changes when
the UAC pops up.

Running "as admin" while in the standard account doesn't work either. All
sorts of errors pop up, and GFE asks you to restart the program.

It looked like it would work the first time I launched it, the games from
GFE 2 showed up once on the initial launch, but every subsequent launch
just gives me a blank games screen, or a screen with a "search for games"
button, with no way to set search directories or actually process a
search. None of the checkboxes stay ticked. It simply doesn't work.

Anyone else run on a standard account and can confirm this? Is this thing
on? (tap tap tap)

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten
Old September 11th 16, 04:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul[_28_]

Zaghadka wrote:
[...]

I don't know if there is an effective way to search this site.
I wouldn't say some of the users are all that happy.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...edback-thread/

But that's why we have endless software updates.

Paul
Old September 11th 16, 01:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 08:03:24 -0400, Gramps wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 22:07:14 -0500, Zaghadka
wrote:

[...]

Works here, also running Windows 10 x64 Anniversary Edition. I put all
my games on my D:\Games dirive\directory (boot drive is ssd) and it
found them all. Some game settings it won't find, but the older
Geforce had the same problem.

Old September 12th 16, 06:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Zaghadka

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 23:43:10 -0400, in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul wrote:

Zaghadka wrote:
[...]

Yeah. That thread is a mess. Everybody who is ****ed off about the new
login requirement is venting spleen on Nvidia.

I haven't got any response in that thread, or from Nvidia customer
support. I'm beginning to feel left out in the cold.

Old September 12th 16, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Zaghadka

Zaghadka wrote:
[...]

Customer support contacted me today. Hopefully we can fix this mess.

Old February 13th 19, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shinnokxz[_2_]

I have recurring issues with whatever current version there is. Yes, the nVidia login is mildly annoying but I can live with it.

The issue is when I actually need it for something - rarely - and it no longer starts up. I believe it comes up with a vague 'Something went wrong, try restarting GeForce Experience'. One time after a Google search, the solution was to jimmy with random GeForce related services in the Window Service config.

The last time that didn't work- and I just had to uninstall it and reinstall.

Out of curiosity I tried to open it and it did a self-update. On the update log it mentioned 'squashing' bugs involving the exact error I just mentioned. We will see about that!