How come RAM is taken away for video cards? Because of my videocard's VRAM?

Old January 17th 16, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant[_3_]

Default How come RAM is taken away for video cards? Because of my videocard's VRAM?

Like I have 3 GB of RAM, but Windows show 2.5 GB. I was told because it
is a shared memory?

Thank you in advance.
--
"I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on
back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted
Old January 18th 16, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Le Forgeron

Old January 19th 16, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant

Le Forgeron wrote:

Le 17/01/2016 10:31, Ant a écrit :
Like I have 3 GB of RAM, but Windows show 2.5 GB. I was told
because it is a shared memory?

Thank you in advance.

Are you sure it's not 4 GB of RAM, but Windows showing only 3.5 GB ?
On a 32 bits system, some of the addressing space must be mapped to IO
board... historically, the IO were mapped at the top of the 4GB
address space (of the 32 bits), alas with 4GB memory being now
available, that trick does not work... or rather still work too well,
and then some memory cannot be used as such.

Please describe your motherboard & CPU (name them at least), and your
version of windows.

And how you get the measurement.

Sorry. I meant to say 6 GB of RAM and only 2.5 show up in 32-bit Windows
XP Pro SP3's About. Details: Intel i7 950 CPU (quad-core), three 2 GB of
Kingston HyperX T1 Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop
Memory Model KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX DDR3 RAM (6 GB total; 2.5 GB shown;
will install a 64-bit OS later on to use it all) in 32-bit old, Windows
XP Pro. SP3 (Internet Explorer v8 and DirectX 9.0c [June 2010]), EVGA
X58 SLI (132-BL-E758; BIOS date 5/11/2010; v6.00 PG; release number
IX58SZ64) motherboard, MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 512 MB (using
the very old ATI Catalyst driver v9.4 since newer drivers cause Windows
XP's clock to slow down with DVI and rare, random hard lock ups with
videos; VGA, with a DVI adapter through a KVM, and DVI directly to the
same monitor [dual connections one at a time]; connected to a 21.5"
Samsung SyncMaster T22B350ND HDTV, an used mid-tower Antec P180 ATX
case, five 120 mm case fans, a side dual cooler fan to cool the case,
two onboard RealTek Gigabit Ethernets (only use one) and onboard RealTek
HD Audio, Antec HCG-620M (620 watts) power supply unit (PSU), a
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 PCIe (dual tuners), a Broadband Technologies
Air2PC-ATSC-PCI HDTV tuner cards (DVB; revision 2), LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
GH24NS50 burner drive, Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7220S SATA burner
drive, two internal 7200 RPM Seagate SATA hard disk drives (HDDs)
[ST3320620AS 320 GB and ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1 TB], an optical USB three
buttons mouse, and Logitech Z-2300 speakers (2.1 setup and analog).

--
Quote of the Week: "Applied mathematics will always need pure mathematics, just as anteaters will always need ants." --Paul Halmos
| |o o| |
Old August 17th 17, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant[_3_]

On 1/18/2016 9:10 PM, Ant wrote:
Le Forgeron wrote:

Le 17/01/2016 10:31, Ant a écrit :
[...]

Still no answers?
--
"Well, let me tell you, ants are the dominant insects. They make up as
much as a quarter of the biomass of all insects in the world. They are
Old August 17th 17, 07:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul[_28_]

Ant wrote:
On 1/18/2016 9:10 PM, Ant wrote:
Le Forgeron wrote:

Le 17/01/2016 10:31, Ant a écrit :
Like I have 3 GB of RAM, but Windows show 2.5 GB. I was told
because it is a shared memory?

Thank you in advance.

Are you sure it's not 4 GB of RAM, but Windows showing only 3.5 GB ?
On a 32 bits system, some of the addressing space must be mapped to IO
board... historically, the IO were mapped at the top of the 4GB
address space (of the 32 bits), alas with 4GB memory being now
available, that trick does not work... or rather still work too well,
and then some memory cannot be used as such.

Please describe your motherboard & CPU (name them at least), and your
version of windows.

And how you get the measurement.

Sorry. I meant to say 6 GB of RAM and only 2.5 show in 32-bit WinXP Pro SP3

Details: Intel i7 950 CPU (quad-core)

(3) Kingston HyperX T1 DDR3-2000 (PC3 16000) (6 GB total; 2.5 GB shown)

EVGA X58 SLI (132-BL-E758;
BIOS date 5/11/2010; v6.00 PG; release number IX58SZ64) motherboard

MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 512 MB (using driver v9.4)

two onboard RealTek Gigabit Ethernets (only use one)

onboard RealTek HD Audio

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 PCIe (dual tuners)

a Broadband Technologies Air2PC-ATSC-PCI HDTV tuner cards (DVB; revision 2)

Still no answers?

This diagram shows how it works. What it doesn't describe
in detail, is how the 750MB address area is used.

https://blog.codinghorror.com/conten...980970c-pi.png

So first of all, that machine would report "3.2GB free" on
an x86 install. The 750MB or so, is used for bus addresses.

Bus allocations traditionally, were done in 256MB chunks. I
think on the Mac it might have been that way too, but I've forgotten
the nomenclature.

The question them becomes:

1) How many bus segments do you have ?
Is one of the cards bridged, with a hidden PCI bus inside ?

2) Your video card uses 512MB. If you had *two* of those
video cards, then that would account more or less exactly,
for your reported 2.75GB free.

3) The Air2PC-ATSC-PCI is weird, in that it has an ASIC on board
that makes the card look like a network device. Does that
result in a unique allocation ?

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.p...ir2PC-ATSC-PCI

"As the FlexCop PCI interface chipset completely lacks
any analog input functionality, this explains why these
cards are barren of analog inputs, and also why they
appear in dmesg or lspci output only as a "network controller".
"

So if you don't have two 4870 video cards, maybe that tuner has
something to do with it.

You can use Lavalys Everest V2.20.405 to get a nice table, to start your
research with. The output looks like this, nice hex addresses. Note
that this isn't really "perfect for the purpose", but you have
to start somewhere. And other utilities aren't even getting
close to this much info. I can't see a pattern here, to
demonstrate 256MB for PCI, 256MB for PCI Express and so on.
It's possible for bus segments needing just one byte of
address space, to cause the BIOS to allocate another 256MB.

https://s11.postimg.org/wjxsssdxv/lavalys_everest.gif

Memory 00100000-BFFFFFFF Exclusive System board

Doing the hex math on calculator, conv to dec, gives 3,220,176,895 bytes

From Task Manager "Physical Memory (K)"
3144748 * 1024 = 3,220,221,952

No idea why there is a discrepancy...

Purely a guess,
Paul
Old February 13th 19, 07:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shinnokxz[_2_]

That machine seems like a Frankenstein and there's no wonder it has strange cobwebs like that. I understand the reasoning people want to clench to the very last bit of OS they enjoyed, but Windows XP SP3 needs to be ditched yesterday quick and in a hurry- especially if you're running it on a system that is i7 first-gen capable.

My first question at the matter is what does Windows say is available in RAM, which does the BIOS say is available? What does DXDIAG say is allocated for video adapters, and what does the BIOS say?