Foxconn motherboard bios updated today ! ;) (MB: NF4SK8AA-8KRS) (BIOS: 538W1P32.BIN)

Old August 17th 15, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Foxconn motherboard bios updated today ! ;) (MB: NF4SK8AA-8KRS) (BIOS: 538W1P32.BIN)

Hello,

Today I got sick&tired of only having 3 GB of ram... while 4 GB of ram is
available in the system.

So today I decided to update/flash the bios for motherboard:

WinFast motherboard NF4SK8AA-8KRS

I used the following bios version:

538W1P32.BIN

All went well... however windows is trying to find a driver for:

Other PCI Bridge Device.

Not sure why it is doing that. I know that windows detected one device on
the motherboard wrongly in the passed, maybe it's trying to redetect it
wrongly or rightly or something don't know yet what that is about.
(It seems to be re-detecting all devices, this may take a while... once it's
all done... I will re-test the memory performance to see if it makes a
difference.
I justed memory with AIDA64 benchmark yesterday... it's read/write speed was
4 GB/sec or so...so will be interesting to see if this would now change.)

The process/it went as follows:

1. First a jumper has to be changed on the motherboard, the jumper is
called: TBL_EN

The blue jumper thingy has to be placed on pin 1 and 2. (Default is pin 2
and 3).

A little triangle on the motherboard indicates which pin is 1.

2. Files have to be extracted, the password for the bios extraction from
zipfile is: Los Angeles

3. www.bootdisk.com was used to download msdos6.22 boot disk creator, this
is necessary for the flash program to work.

4. the flash.bat was edited with edit from msdos.622 because AFU879H.EXE had
to be renamed to AFU879.EXE.

5. Some files from the bootdisk were deleted to make room for the bios, such
as fdisk.exe emm386 and scandisk.

6. The system was booted into ms-dos 6.22

(I think it's most safe to make sure all files are on 1 disk... spreading it
over multiple disks is risky.)

(BANANA cd-rom name given... took a few seconds but it continued)

7. FLASH.BAT was run.

8. It started loading the bios file

9. It wented to save current bios... I didn't want that... so I presses
enter on the filename edit boxing... hoping that that would skip it... not
sure what that did.

10. I inspect the fllopy disk now... nothing was saved to it.

11. Fortunately the flash went ok... it showed some white boxes... and a few
beeps here and there.

12. Then reboot and remove disk.

13. I used escape to get to boot menu to indicate which drive I want to boot
from.

14, I detached my harddisks cables... that kinda was a mistake... but I was
hoping to leave them out of it... but I needed to access them.

15. This caused system boot to fail cause I probably reconnected cables
wrongly ?!?... but can be corrected with boot menu...

16. I tested to see if my harddisks still worked... with knoppix boot cd...
I could not find linux mint 11 cd... I will have to create some new ones..
32bit and 64 bit versions.

17. Getting the floppy drive to work was a bitch.

18. I used an older floppy drive... it's origin is unknown.

19. It seemed the floppy drive might be bad... so I finally disassembled
what was left of one of my older computers which I knew had a good floppy
drive so instead I attached that one.

20. A few floppy disks appeared to be bad according to window 7 x64
edition... tried to make startup disk.. but eventually decided to format it
and use bootdisk creator from www.bootdisk.exe to do it properly.

21. Updating my system from a floppy disk seems really risky... but I did
have a backup motherboard and bios chip if anything went bad. Also according
to motherboard manual this bios/motherboard should be able to recover from
bios flash failure.

22. I copied all files from floppy disk back to harddisk just to make sure
all files were written correctly and could be read... before using the
floppy drive I also blew some dust out of it... just to be sure. I left the
floppy drive hanging in it's bracket so that the thing under
it can spin if so required.

23. I simply left the case door open... and attached an IDE cable and a
POWER cable to the floppy drive, it's an old white one.

(Right now it seems to be re-installing my x-fi soundcard driver... I hope
that goes well... whily I type this )

24. My current DreamPC does not have a build in floppy drive so that really
sucks...

25. I decided against using the other black usb-based floppy drive... cause
it uses a 4-pin plug instead of 5-pin... so that ****er fried one of my
motherboards once... and it was a bitch to get working correctly... so I
decided not to risk blowing up my motherboard and not fiddle with it... too
risky... too time consuming... so the old equipment/gear was actually much
better/safer !

26. The updating of my drivers for devices seems to be done, now I have to
wait for svchost.exe to stop running at 50% cpu and then I can test memory.

27. I don't believe running at 4 GB will make much of a difference for
gaming or webbrowsing... I think the real problem might be: firefox slow...
and my CPU simply slow... and memory slow too.

I noticed a benchmark screenshot on the internet of new skylake processor...
it's cache is about 10x faster or memory 5x faster or so.... so I will
definetly be buying/building a new system soon !

Cause this slow-ass ****... is starting to get annoying... though perhaps
it's a windows 7 update conspiracy ?!

Maybe windows 7 updates... made my system slower ?! It's an interesting and
possible hypothesis !

28. I am going to put this floppy disk away securely in my special box...
cause this is one cool floppy disk !

29. hopefully the extra 1 GB of ram that is now available will stop windows
7 from paging to disk so much... I think it's paging unnecessarily much and
it's annoying... so hopefully windows 7 will do that now less.

30. Page file was always set to 8 GB and custom size...

I just noticed something... my other drive does not seem to have a page file
?! Very interesting ?! Hmmm... the cause of this could be that I ran from
one disk in the past.

And I always notice how my second disk is going offline/sleeping.

I think I may have to change this to set the page file to the second
disk/data disk... for increased page file performance ?!

This might explain my somewhat sluggish system response... or perhaps it's
just the motherboard... not as fast as older ones..

Or perhaps it's all of the above. I will try and change page file to other
disk... to see if that helps... it should ! =D

As far as I can remember... windows creates page file per disk... but maybe
not... hmmm..

Great this should help a lot...

Maybe it's even possible to have multiple page files... I will try that too.
Kinda strange how the page file from other disk went missing hmmm...

I used to run with two page files... I think that might give increased page
file swapping performance. So I will try with running two page files instead
! Fingers crossed !

It does require a reboot though ! =D I can't believe i've been running
without a secondary page file lol... kinda strange... maybe I needed space
back then... or didn't think much of it... thinking 3 GB would be enough...
well not so !

Ok hopefully this new page file setup will increase system performance that
would make me happy ! =D

31. I also booted my older pentium 3, 450 MHZ... it responded really
weird... the first few times I tried to power it up... it beeped like
crazy... and it was just weird... the only way I could solve it was to
disconnect all power cables... and re-plug them in... that immediatly fixed
it.

So something weird is definetly going on with power cables... probably some
kind of "electrical hole in it" that needs to be filled up... or perhaps
it's picking up GSM signals/power and it starts to circling through the
cables which might be creating a small little loop of some kind.

Or perhaps it's because they have no EARTH... I think the GSM signal theory
is a pretty good one... cause how the hell can it have electricty from
itself ? The pentium 3 was rarely on... so I don't believe it's from
itself... it's either: 1. electrical hole... or 2. gsm interference/power
pickup=really weird stuff.!

I was also surprised that it had 2 GB of ram that old pentium 3 of mine...
that put a smile on my face ! =D I upgraded it a while ago... but I forgot
how much RAM it had...

It was not of much use cause I had to boot into my newer computer anyway...
but nice to know the old computer still works too... I almost lost faith in
it... thx to all that weir electrical behaviour... I was not recommend
flying planes from now on... these GSM/UMTS signals are probably
intererfering with electronics and cables in a much bigger way than people
think... that's what I am starting to believe ! =D and I can know cause I
live in a very busy area !

32. Internet connection was also behaving somewhat weirdly... I did make
sure to set time/date properly that's important for DNS/DHCP to work
correctly... same behaviour on newer PC... however... pulling out plug from
cable modem and re-powering it up... helped.
and also re-enabling other connection I think that was the problem in
windows... wrong adapter enabled but that's ok... it's always a bit of a
fiddle.

33. I am not sure what I should do with the jumper on the motherboard... the
readme first file (that came with the bios zip) did not say what to do with
it afterwards... so for now I will leave it as it is... otherwise it might
revert back to old bios or so... as perhaps a protection feature.

As I type this mail svchost.exe is still running so can't really do memory
benchmark yet... I want to do it when system is idle... so I will post a
follow up as soon as I can do that !

I guess I have to reboot anyway... to enjoy my new pagefile found wealth !
LOL.

34. The link in the readme first file is bad/gone... so no instructions from
foxconn how to create bootdisk... fortunately I know from that from
dos-times... I don't think a windows startup disk will cut it... it's not
the same thing... and using windows-related software for flashing is
probably dangerous/not a good idea... stick with what was tested/used when
the flash executable was created: ms-dos... I tried to follow the
instructions as clearly as possible and fortunately it seemd to have worked
out.

35. I wasn't quite sure which bios file was the most recent on the foxconn
website... I already downloaded the 32 version 2 years ago or so ?! wow...
so I've been running at least 2 years with just 3 GB of ram ! damn ! =D I
cause I was not capable of updating back then because of pain in my
back/back injury.. but now my back is good again... so I could pickup my
system just fine.

36. I had to re-boot many times... cause I was confused about why my system
didn't boot at first... wondered if that jumper had something to do with
it... but that was not the case... I also wondered if the floppy drive might
have something to do with boot failure... but also was not the case.

37. I hope my harddisks have not been damaged from all that picking up of my
system... that would kinda suck and would maybe not have been worth it...
perhaps I should have done data backup first to be on the safe side... but I
kinda had a feeling this foxconn motherboard is strangely enough thrust
worthy... and so it was.

38. I have further advice to anybody that reads this: don't buy asus
motherboards for skylake processors... why you should not buy asus... I
won't tell you. I keep it secret for now... until I bought my new system...
I don't want components to sell-out... once I have my new system I will tell
you why not to buy asus-motherboards ! I'll give you a hint though: asus
has a critical system-life-saving option missing from their bios !
fools/assholes/turds ! No I definetly won't be buying motherboards from
them.

39. I disabled the connection on my old pentium 3 as fast as possible once I
found what I needed... just to prevent infection. Perhaps I should update it
today... just to keep that old nice system updated... But first things
first... first my main system has to be tested and rebooted some more...

40. I am not yet sure if new installed bios version 32 is stable or has any
problems... but I would assume it's almost same bios... but with some 4 GB
fixes... perhaps it will also solve the 10 minute freeze issue... yeah that
could be nice to test ! First time I booted with new bios... no freeze...
but that could be a fluke of luck !

41. I also had to find the card box material to put my PC on it was in a box
in spear room somewhere... but fortunately I found it... not having that
would have driven me insane... cause then I could scratch my desk.

42. I also slightly bummed my PC into my monitor but fortunately no scratch
or damage spotted so far...

43. Fortunately I have a big wooden table... so I can put keyboard and mouse
aside... it's still a bit crowded... but doing this on a smaller table would
have sucked bad/nearly impossible !?

So you see... what seems like a simple task was actually quite complex/long
and filled with bear-puts and troubles and lots of time consuming things...
But I managed to circumvent all ! =D

44. If my system had died... I would have had a lot more work to do...
replace motherboard and then I would still be stuck with 3 GB... and I am
kinda running low on artic silver 7... so not sure I could have reattached
cpu heatsink properly...

I am not sure what I would have done ?! maybe ditch the whole damn system,
except for my beloved harddisks and soundblaster lol.. or maybe I would haev
just installed the backup motherboard.. probably last option... but I would
have hated it !

45. Also it was quite amazing to hear my old pentium 3 on... I guess it's
using a new power supply... it's quite quiet... what a difference compared
to my Dream PC which is quite loudly... even a girly that came by some time
ago noticed it ! hmmm

I do have fans a bit higher than usually cause of summer... I ll put those a
bit lower now that the heat is a bit over... before I forget to do that !

Better to avoid dust build up too... I will leave dust on cpu heatsink for
now...

46. Ok I just realized I am not done yet.... still have to figure out how to
properly connect cables so system boots in proper order... I already tried
changing order in bios... or specifieing what to boot from but that
strangely enough didn't work... that was quite strange.

47. I kinda like the funny "can't boot problem"... it might prevent noobs
from booting my system... but I I die... I want people to be able to at
least boot my system... not thinking that it's bad or anything... but
anyway... bad boot settings could be considered a security feature lol.

But smarter people with more time... might figure it out how to do it... law
enforcement might re-attach harddisk to other systems though... but that's
outside the scope of this story... nothing to see here... moving along !

Well I like foxconn for now... they have proven themselfes worthy of
SKYBUCK-APPROVAL and that's something that doesn't come by easy !

They will probably not be my new motherboard supplier for skylake processor
?!? or perhaps they might be... to be honest... I haven't looked yet if they
have a motherboard available for skylake processor from intel...

All the review sites didn't mention a motherboard from foxconn... but
perhaps they boycott it or are just clueless so I will have to investigate
foxconn later on.

svchost.exe still running even after all this typing... wow... well time for
a reboot ! and time to place this holy disk into a safe storage
place... in case I ever need to flash that other backup motherboard !

The disk doesn't have a sticker though... I probably don't have those
anymore... or maybe they somewhere in the spare-gear-reoom... but I think I
ran out of those... not sure... but for now it;'s ok... I'll remember it's
in the spare-box-room !

Ok well quite a large adventure for me today/this night... I was also
slighty frustrated after a game of company of heroes... maybe that triggered
this ! LOL... but as psychs say... a bit of frustration motivates
people/probably yourself... and yes it did...

Cause when I exitted company of heroes it took way too long before I could
type a posting about a bug in that game I guess !

But during this posting I realized... the page file settings might play a
roll in that... oh yeah... another good reason to reboot... so I am gonna
try that... right now !

Reasons to reboot for me:

1. page file settings
2. test if freeze is still there...

So bye for now =D
May the bios-flash-gods be with you ! =D today they were with me !
=D Hopefully I don't regret it ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =DDDDD

P.S.: 4 GB is coming my way/all mine soon ! =D

Old August 17th 15, 07:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Hmmm.. all is not well after reboot.

There are now two svchost.exe running consuming 100% cpu.

I hope this is just temporarely though.

I am also looking into devices to see if some device was detected wrongly.

Though that devices screen is lagging/frozen.. maybe it will come back
later.

Perhaps it's windows update related this svchost.exe....

Kinda bad experience for people if they have to run this crap everytime they
boot coldly...

I usually use sleep though.. that avoids most of that.

Though for people wanting to re-boot and not deal with sluggish system for
many minutes perhaps linux mint or so would be a better choice than Windows
7.

I wonder if Windows 10 still has this svchost.exe **** going on ?

Anybody know ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 17th 15, 07:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Ok, meanwhile... one svchost.exe has seized consuming so much cpu... so now
system a bit more workable !

Thank god for that

Device are showing up now too so I can go take a looksy !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 17th 15, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Yeah I can confirm thanks to "resource monitor" and checkboxing the
svchost.exe file and then viewing services which gets filtered by the one
checked that it's indeed windows update consuming 50% cpu.

God knows what it's doing... probably trying to find some update or
something... checking for updates somehow... computing hashes ?! whatever...

I cause the more updated windows has... the slower/longer it takes ! Bleh..

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 17th 15, 07:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Ok,

I wanted to run the aida64 benchmark so I stopped the windows update
service...

The memory read speed was abut 4.9 GB/sec and latency 97 nanoseconds...
which seems a bit faster than yesterday 104 ns.

Maybe 900 MB/sec extra today ? or maybe just 600 MB/sec extra today... or
perhaps none at all... not sure..

write speed was lower... under 3.2 GB/sec or so...

Seems lower then yesterday.... hmm that not good

Could be a question of bios memory settings.

MAybe I should look into that into the future... cause this was T2 (or was
it called cas2? ) memory as far as I know...

But currently aida 64 shows T/cas 3 or so...

This benchmark kinda annoying how it can't be stopped when it runs... oh
well..

Well I have seen enough for now...

Gonna start windows update service again so it can do whatever it has to do

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 17th 15, 09:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Now that I know two floppy disks are good, I tested them with the sony
floppy drive which origins are unknown... probably salvaged from some give
away school computer... and I can now confirm... yes it's
true//////confirmed !

That sony fokking floppy drive is BAD !

It just doesn twork well/correctly.. windows will say floppy needs to be
formatted... fok that... maybe it's mac floppy drive or it's just damaged..

Whatever it is... THIS THING IS GOING STRAIGHT INTO THE FOKKING GARBAGE
disposal/waste BASKET !

I never ever wanna see that trouble-making thing ever again ! =D

Lessons learned: FOK SALVAGE CRAP... free/give away salvage crap is FOR
LOSERS ! =D

Never again ! =D

I could have blown up/fried my entire system if this drive had a
short-circuit ?! or perhaps not...

But definetly not woreth the risk..

BY SONY ****FACE **** ! YYYYYEEEERRRRAAAHHHH =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

P.S.: Wow lol must make sure to throw away the correct one lol... I need to
go sleep ! LOL =D

Old August 17th 15, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:
[...]

The service host bug (SVCHOST) is a problem with
wuauserv. And Microsoft refuses to fix it. There was
a change to it, to make it use less RAM when it
goes nuts, but that's all they fixed. The same bug
exists in WinXP, and it continues in Win7.

On Windows 7, you can install Internet Explorer 11
and the Internet Explorer Cumulative Update for
Aug 2015 or whatever, and that will reduce the time
it takes Windows 7 to finish wasting CPU cycles.
But the basic problem will still be there.

Paul

Paul
Old August 17th 15, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Yeah I looked into it further today/now... my system completely back
together so that nice.

Boot order is also properly.

Only thing which was kinda weird is soundcard set to onboard audio instead
of x-fi elite pro... so have to change that manually, might have to disable
onboard audio in bios if this issue remains.

Could be interesting if bios has an option to specify which audio solution
should be main or so... but maybe bios has nothing to do with sound
detection and sound use and such... probably a windows thing.

Another issue which pops up lately is the breakout box/volume knob not
working... that I usually solve that by log off/log in... but this time a
reboot was required to get it working again...

I suspect it's possibly a software bug in creative labs software... or
caused by gsm signals.

Anyway after booting which now also goes really fast the following two
issues remain:

1. one svchost.exe will consume 50% cpu for a long time... multiple
minutes... this is windows update... I am kinda ok with that... as long as
it stops after these minutes... shame that it has to take so long though...
but that's what sleep is for to prevent that next time or so.

2. one other issue is another svchost.exe... also concumsing 50% cpu... so
on dual core system this means 100% used which is less ideal... however this
only takes 2 minutes or so... it's the plug and play service... I suspect
it's caused by one unknown device in device manager or so...

(visible via resource manager selection doesn't give any further
information about what plug and play is doing.)

I also saw a GWX.exe shortly it don't nag though... but that's get windows X
advertisement..

Hmmm there was something else I wanted to write... but forgot what it was...
hmmm... thinking...

Hmm I guess I will have to go into bios anyway... cause floppy drive is
still enabled... it's not in the pc anymore... maybe that could be the cause
of unknown device and/or plug and play usage... so I ll try and disable that
see how that goes...

I'll also disable onboard audio chip... I don't use it anyway so that might
save some troubles...

I was kinda surprised the system booted... maybe that was what I wanted to
write... I only seemed to have swapped power cables... and maybe this
changed boot order ? I cannot imagine that only swapping power cables would
trigger that... sata cables remained the same...

You ever witnessed boot order swapping just by swapping power cables ? Maybe
it changed because I set boot order yesterday or so...

Ok time for me to dive back into my bios !

Bye for now, thanks for you posting !
Skybuck.

Old August 17th 15, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Ok,

Well the opposite seems to have happened funny enough.

Plug and Play still running after reboot... perhaps it's trying to find some
usb storage device or something not sure about that.

Windows Update seems done... maybe because it ran last time.. or maybe it
was trying to find drivers for non-existing floppy disk drive or something.

Well time for me to move on to something else like gaming/eating or so !
LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck =D

P.S.: One question for you Paul: are you planning on building a new skylake
based system ? =D

Old August 17th 15, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Hmmm.. spoke too soon...

First windows live mail kept running for 30 seconds or so at 50%.

And now windows update svchost.exe is running again... and plug and play
still too..

So system back at 100% usage.

I am starting to dislike the following about windows 7:

1. Hidden services and processes running without a GUI, secretly consuming
CPU.

2. Processes which were terminated but still consume CPU.

My advice/wish for Microsoft:

3. Either ban services. Or make it mandatory for each service to have some
kind of GUI so that user can see what's going on.

Cause right now... gaming for me could be dangerous... it could create too
much heat...

Fortunately it's very cool outside for probably not that much of a
problem... but game might lag...

I also dislike how windows might trigger windows updates while gaming
without any kind of notification.

I guess I could use windows task manager (which I actually dragged into the
task bar... but that was kinda cool it adds an icon to it ! Try it ! )
to inspect services and stuff..

(I also saw somebody drag an image into google on tv for finding it...
didn't try it yet... but that could be cool, maybe it's IE only though).

But that's kinda lame to use windows task manager... it doesn't give enough
information... and then I have to go to resources monitor which is a bit
better... but a bit too technical and deeply hiding for most users I guess..

Then again with all services running all those guis could get excessive but
still could be nice...

Maybe one little icon in the system tray: "services" icon.

Where people can then inspect which services are actually running/consuming
CPU and what the hell it is they are doing ?!

Should be optionally though... that deeper insight... it could consume even
more CPU... hmm..

Might be hard to write software to output strings for information and
such... could get excessive...

But perhaps throttle that output a bit... hmmm

Or skip stuff if throttle/bucket can't keep up... that might work yeah !

Throttle output messages like network packets and a throttle...

Only put them in a queue or something if throttle allows it otherwise skip
them... to prevent big CPU hit from massive ammounts of strings

Cheaper to check a bucket I think

Anyway so much for implementation advice...

See ya later alligators ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D