Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

Old December 14th 09, 04:51 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
THEO@TO.

Default Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

For years I've been taking .jpgs and pasting them in WordPad
documents and thought it was a great thing to be able to do it.
I've done hundreds of documents like that and never had any
problems. But now all of a sudden they don't show the pictures or
even the text anymore, but instead it's just a bunch of symbols
like y's with dots over them and rectangular blocks, etc... Can
anyone explain what happened and how to make it work the way it
did before?
Old December 14th 09, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

posted to a.c.h.p-h only

THEO@TO. wrote:
Newsgroups: alt.computer, alt.computer.workshop,
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

Crossposting recklessly to multiple groups is counterproductive. It
will cause less people to read your message because many knowledgeable
and helpful readers filter out all such crosspostings.

In the future when you are going to start a message question, first
research similar issues to your question using googlegroups. Often that
will give you the answer you seek, and it will also show you the one
best group to ask your question. Then post the question to one
appropriate group only.

--
Mike Easter

Old December 14th 09, 08:11 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JD

THEO@TO. wrote:
For years I've been taking .jpgs and pasting them in WordPad
documents and thought it was a great thing to be able to do it.
I've done hundreds of documents like that and never had any
problems. But now all of a sudden they don't show the pictures or
even the text anymore, but instead it's just a bunch of symbols
like y's with dots over them and rectangular blocks, etc... Can
anyone explain what happened and how to make it work the way it
did before?

I'm not a big fan of wordpad cant say I use it much but it sound's like
the strange letters and symbols you are seeing are the CODE of the JPG
file, the only thing I can think of is that if it is saving it as .txt
file; then a .txt file can only contain text, make sure you are saving
as .rtf or .doc.

Theres a Free Word processor package out there called OpenOfice.org,
which can read and write to Microsoft files as well as many others
including PDF if you write a lot of text you might be better off with
this instead.

JD
Old December 14th 09, 10:07 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
- Bobb -

"JD" wrote in message
THEO@TO. wrote:
For years I've been taking .jpgs and pasting them in WordPad
documents and thought it was a great thing to be able to do it.
I've done hundreds of documents like that and never had any
problems. But now all of a sudden they don't show the pictures or
even the text anymore, but instead it's just a bunch of symbols
like y's with dots over them and rectangular blocks, etc... Can
anyone explain what happened and how to make it work the way it
did before?

New antivirus software ? Change security level on IE ( browser) ?
I ran into that with Outlook - showed me a small icon rather than image.
Changed security from high to moderate and then showed picture as it used
to.
( "preview" is considered a security issue)

BTW, I use paint to do what you do
start- prgs - accessories-paint
copy picture from app
paste
save as
done

Old December 14th 09, 10:08 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

JD wrote:
THEO@TO. wrote:
[...]

Woops, reply to the wrong post a few minutes ago.
Again:
I have xp sp3, copy in PAINT and then paste in Wordpad worked for me.
Dragging the file into Wordpad did not work for me, it only left the
name of the file in a drag frame.
Old December 14th 09, 10:10 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
THEO@TO.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:11:15 +0000, JD
wrote:

THEO@TO. wrote:
For years I've been taking .jpgs and pasting them in WordPad
documents and thought it was a great thing to be able to do it.
I've done hundreds of documents like that and never had any
problems. But now all of a sudden they don't show the pictures or
even the text anymore, but instead it's just a bunch of symbols
like y's with dots over them and rectangular blocks, etc... Can
anyone explain what happened and how to make it work the way it
did before?

I'm not a big fan of wordpad cant say I use it much but it sound's like
the strange letters and symbols you are seeing are the CODE of the JPG
file,

That sounds right.

the only thing I can think of is that if it is saving it as .txt
file; then a .txt file can only contain text, make sure you are saving
as .rtf or .doc.

These are files that have been .doc files and working fine for
years, but now all of a sudden they're acting like .txt files I
guess. I don't know if it could have anything to do with this,
but I tried opening a .jpg with LView and got the message:
.....jpg is not a valid Win32 application. Well I never said it
was, but it was after that the problems seemed to begin with
WordPad.

Theres a Free Word processor package out there called OpenOfice.org,
which can read and write to Microsoft files as well as many others
including PDF if you write a lot of text you might be better off with
this instead.

My idea is that every PC should have NotePad and WordPad, so use
them so I can open whatever on any PC. Of course that doesn't
work either because at lot of my programs were made on older
computers so for some reason when I try to open old WordPad files
in newer PCs I get a message like: 'Can not open Word (whatever)
files, or something like that. Well I'm not trying to open Word
files at all, and in fact deliberately try to use WordPad in an
effort to avoid that exact kind of problem.
Old December 14th 09, 10:30 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
- Bobb -

THEO@TO. wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:11:15 +0000, JD

CUT

My idea is that every PC should have NotePad and WordPad, so use
them so I can open whatever on any PC. Of course that doesn't
work either because at lot of my programs were made on older
computers so for some reason when I try to open old WordPad files
in newer PCs I get a message like: 'Can not open Word (whatever)
files, or something like that. Well I'm not trying to open Word
files at all, and in fact deliberately try to use WordPad in an
effort to avoid that exact kind of problem.

If you WANT to use WordPad only , then edit your file type options
IF a PC, open windows Explorer
then Tools- Folder Options
scroll down for the filetype extension ( is it RTF ) you want ONLY WordPad
to open and remove that filetype from Word
So double-click RTF - for default program to be WordPad - Choose WordPad. Or
delete all but WordPad if you like. Having more than one listed just lets
you "rightclick " on the file and choose OPEN with several programs.

And if you don't have Word and do need to read Word documents (.doc), go to
Microsoft.com and download " Word Viewer."

Old December 15th 09, 04:52 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
THEO@TO.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:07:29 -0500, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

"JD" wrote in message
THEO@TO. wrote:
For years I've been taking .jpgs and pasting them in WordPad
documents and thought it was a great thing to be able to do it.
I've done hundreds of documents like that and never had any
problems. But now all of a sudden they don't show the pictures or
even the text anymore, but instead it's just a bunch of symbols
like y's with dots over them and rectangular blocks, etc... Can
anyone explain what happened and how to make it work the way it
did before?

New antivirus software ? Change security level on IE ( browser) ?

Now that you mention it when I shut it down the other day it took
its sweet time about it and said it was updating some
things--probably security things because it's always wanting to
do that--and then it shut down when it got done.

I ran into that with Outlook - showed me a small icon rather than image.

I looked at things more closely after reading that, and noticed
that the icon for .docs is the same as it was, then as they open
a WordPad icon shows up on the task bar, but then after they do
open it looks like a Notepad icon on the task bar instead of a
WordPad icon. Went to Folder Options--File Types. DOC (not .doc)
DOC File, Opens with: WordPad. So WTF???

Changed security from high to moderate and then showed picture as it used
to.
( "preview" is considered a security issue)

That's worth a try. How?

BTW, I use paint to do what you do
start- prgs - accessories-paint
copy picture from app
paste
save as
done

What do you use to copy pictures? I've been using a demo version
of LView for several years. It has always worked though, and I've
made quite a few docs this way with no trouble reading them or
transfering them and reading them on other computers (except
newer ones often said they could not read that version of Word
documents...) until now all of a sudden when they quit working on
my own computer.

Shouldn't it have something to do with that Notepad icon showing
up on the task bar? Even when I highlight a .doc icon, then right
click and select Open With, then open it with WordPad it still
looks like text only and brings up a Notepad icon on the task
bar. Looking at the document after it's open, at the top bar
(whatever it is) in the left corner there is a text icon like the
one on the task bar, but then it goes on to say . . . .doc -
WordPad. What the hell???
Old December 15th 09, 08:38 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
- Bobb -

THEO@TO. wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:07:29 -0500, "- Bobb -"

snip
I looked at things more closely after reading that, and noticed
that the icon for .docs is the same as it was, then as they open
a WordPad icon shows up on the task bar, but then after they do
open it looks like a Notepad icon on the task bar instead of a
WordPad icon. Went to Folder Options--File Types. DOC (not .doc)
DOC File, Opens with: WordPad. So WTF???

as far I knew DOC = doc
do you have both doc and DOC in filetypes
Assume for a minute that windows ( XP?) thinks DOC = doc
For filetype doc - what is default program ( whatever it IS, make it
wordpad)

Plan b : create a new flietype that opens with wordpad
so rename one of your files to be "filename.ggg"
Now double click on "filename.ggg". It will ask " what program to use"
choose WOrdpad and check the "always use this " box.

Changed security from high to moderate and then showed picture as it used
to.
( "preview" is considered a security issue)

That's worth a try. How?

IE - TOOLS- internet options - privacy tab

BTW, I use paint to do what you do
start- prgs - accessories-paint
copy picture from app
paste
save as
done

What do you use to copy pictures?

Not sure what you mean ?
Just right-click copy/ right-click paste

I've been using a demo version
of LView for several years. It has always worked though, and I've
made quite a few docs this way with no trouble reading them or
transfering them and reading them on other computers (except
newer ones often said they could not read that version of Word
documents...) until now all of a sudden when they quit working on
my own computer.

Shouldn't it have something to do with that Notepad icon showing
up on the task bar? Even when I highlight a .doc icon, then right
click and select Open With, then open it with WordPad it still
looks like text only and brings up a Notepad icon on the task
bar. Looking at the document after it's open, at the top bar
(whatever it is) in the left corner there is a text icon like the
one on the task bar, but then it goes on to say . . . .doc -
WordPad. What the hell???

I can't duplicate that here.
If I go to www.GOOGLE.com and
right-click the 'logo of the day above the text area" - copy
Open Wordpad - paste -
Puts that picture into wordpad file for me.

Open Paint and edit- paste - creates same picture - SAVE AS

Old December 15th 09, 09:27 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_2_]

Mike Easter wrote:

Crossposting recklessly to multiple groups is counterproductive. It
will cause less people to read your message because many knowledgeable
and helpful readers filter out all such crosspostings.

In the future when you are going to start a message question, first
research similar issues to your question using googlegroups. Often
that will give you the answer you seek, and it will also show you the
one best group to ask your question. Then post the question to one
appropriate group only.

OP only posted to three groups, that is well within the customary limit for
crossposting, and is *far*, *far* better than multiposting.

The only issue at hand seems to be the relevance of the groups he posted to,
but I think we can overlook that failing today.

Jon