Inspiron 6000 Backlight Replacement

Old November 14th 08, 10:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dean-MN

Default Inspiron 6000 Backlight Replacement

Hi,
I have an Inspiron 6000 that has its 15.4" WXGA+ display going black from
time to time. In doing research on the problem, I find that a backlight can
be purchased for $35 and that's way less than a LCD panel. I have not
determined the exact problem but am wondering if replacing a backlight is
something an intermediate computer tinkerer can do. I have no reservations
about taking apart notebooks and if the backlight is the problem replacing
it would be way cheaper than a $150 to $300 LCD... Dean

Old November 14th 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Dean-MN wrote on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:33:55 -0600:
Hi,
I have an Inspiron 6000 that has its 15.4" WXGA+ display going black
from time to time. In doing research on the problem, I find that a
backlight can be purchased for $35 and that's way less than a LCD
panel. I have not determined the exact problem but am wondering if
replacing a backlight is something an intermediate computer tinkerer can
do. I have no reservations about taking apart notebooks and if the
backlight is the problem replacing it would be way cheaper than a $150
to $300 LCD... Dean

Hi Dean... Well that problem could be either the lamp or the inverter
(99.99% of the time) which feeds like 800 to 1800 volts to the lamp. If
you can find both, that would take the guess work out of it. grin

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
Old November 15th 08, 12:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
blockster

On Nov 14, 4:33�pm, "Dean-MN" wrote:
Hi,
I have an Inspiron 6000 that has its 15.4" WXGA+ display going black from
time to time. �In doing research on the problem, I find that a backlight can
be purchased for $35 and that's way less than a LCD panel. �I have not
determined the exact problem but am wondering if replacing a backlight is
something an intermediate computer tinkerer can do. �I have no reservations
about taking apart notebooks and if the backlight is the problem replacing
it would be way cheaper than a $150 to $300 LCD... Dean

From what I have read, backlight replacement can be a tedious job and
requires some specialized tools, innovative techniques but is doable.
Try this Yahoo group where this issue is often discussed.
Jim
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/L...r/messages?o=1
Old November 15th 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Dean-MN wrote:
Hi,
I have an Inspiron 6000 that has its 15.4" WXGA+ display going black
from time to time. In doing research on the problem, I find that a
backlight can be purchased for $35 and that's way less than a LCD
panel. I have not determined the exact problem but am wondering if
replacing a backlight is something an intermediate computer tinkerer can
do. I have no reservations about taking apart notebooks and if the
backlight is the problem replacing it would be way cheaper than a $150
to $300 LCD... Dean

Before making the investment, make sure that the graphics adapter is not
the culprit. In particular, nVidia geaphics chips have a habit of going
flaky (in various and sundry ways) when subjected to excessive heat.
Don't know if the Inspiron 6000 has an nVidia chip or whether it is part
of the motherboard or part of a separate snap-on proprietary graphics card.

Troubleshooting this sort of problem can be agonizing and expensive.
You think you have the problem solved with a replacement part, only to
have the problem recur again, as happened to me recently with a client's
Inspiron E1505.

So:

1. See what happens if you connect an external monitor. If the monitor
works and the LCD goes black, you know that there is a problem with the
backlight or the entire LCD assembly. If both go black, you have a
graphics chip problem.

2. It may also be that either the backlight connector is loose inside
the LCD screen or that the cable connecting to the laptop motherboard
(or graphics card) is simply loose. A little bit of disassembly can
verify a proper cable-motherboard connection. Checking the backlight
cable and other cable connections involves disassembly of the LCD
screen, not rocket science, but tedious and painstaking... Ben Myers
Old November 15th 08, 08:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BigJim

"Dean-MN" wrote in message
Hi,
I have an Inspiron 6000 that has its 15.4" WXGA+ display going black from
time to time. In doing research on the problem, I find that a backlight
can be purchased for $35 and that's way less than a LCD panel. I have not
determined the exact problem but am wondering if replacing a backlight is
something an intermediate computer tinkerer can do. I have no
reservations about taking apart notebooks and if the backlight is the
problem replacing it would be way cheaper than a $150 to $300 LCD... Dean

http://www.parts-people.com/

you can get parts here or have them repair the machine

Old November 17th 08, 08:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dean-MN

BigJim wrote:
"Dean-MN" wrote in message
Hi,
I have an Inspiron 6000 that has its 15.4" WXGA+ display going black from
time to time. In doing research on the problem, I find that a backlight
can be purchased for $35 and that's way less than a LCD panel. I have
not
determined the exact problem but am wondering if replacing a backlight is
something an intermediate computer tinkerer can do. I have no
reservations about taking apart notebooks and if the backlight is the
problem replacing it would be way cheaper than a $150 to $300 LCD... Dean

http://www.parts-people.com/

you can get parts here or have them repair the machine

Hi,
Thanks for the links. I have started a new thread... Dean