Downside of changing "Max frames to render ahead"/"Prerender Limit" to 1/0?

Old March 30th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Downside of changing "Max frames to render ahead"/"Prerender Limit" to 1/0?

I just got Oblivion, and one of the listed tweaks to make it run better is
to change the Max frames to render ahead (or Prerender limit in Riva Tuner)
from the default of 3 to 1 or 0.

So I tried it. And it indeed appears to give the FPS a pretty sizeable
boost, from about 30 FPS to around 40-45ish. And trying the Sims 2, I also
seemingly got a pretty big boost.

Are there any downsides to this setting? I can't really seem to find any
concrete information on just what this setting does. And most of that seems
to indicate the opposite, that it's meant to improve FPS by setting it
higher, because the card will render ahead on its downtime.

Old March 31st 06, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Jeremy Reaban" wrote in message
Are there any downsides to this setting? I can't really seem to find any
concrete information on just what this setting does. And most of that
seems to indicate the opposite, that it's meant to improve FPS by setting
it higher, because the card will render ahead on its downtime.

What you read is correct. Setting the prerender limit higher normally should
improve performance, at the expense of possible mouse lag. Could be a driver
bug.

Do you have VSync enabled? Toggle it and see if the situation becomes
reversed.

Old March 31st 06, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

First of One wrote in message ...
"Jeremy Reaban" wrote in message
Are there any downsides to this setting? I can't really seem to find any
concrete information on just what this setting does. And most of that
seems to indicate the opposite, that it's meant to improve FPS by setting
it higher, because the card will render ahead on its downtime.

What you read is correct. Setting the prerender limit higher normally

should
improve performance, at the expense of possible mouse lag. Could be a

driver
bug.

Do you have VSync enabled? Toggle it and see if the situation becomes
reversed.

a possible downside of this setting is that setting it lower could result in
"tearing". it's a problem in FPS games but not so bad for slow moving RPGs.

writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 09:57 AM
FX 5200 users (and possibly other users check this out!) E-rich Nvidia Videocards 6 October 3rd 03 09:22 PM