80mm vs 92mm Fan?

Old March 25th 04, 01:51 PM
Wayne Youngman

Default 80mm vs 92mm Fan?

Hi there,

I am trying to decide what size fan to buy for my current P4 build. I am
not sure whether a 80mm or 92mm is best. AT first I thought 92mm was the
way to go but after having read a few reviews around the web it seems like
the 80mm fans are giving better performance due to their smaller *hub* size,
which reduces the size of the dead-zone.

I am also trying to decide what Heat-Sink to use also, it's down to the
ThermalRight SP-94 Swiftech MCX478-V which are both good solutions, so I'm
not sure whether I need a *Tornado* Type solution or go with a quiet
version.

I intend to overclock my P4c 2.6GHz to 3.2GHz +

Anyone had experience of the different sized fans?

Despite the possible larger *Dead-Zone* of the 92mm fans, I wondered also if
their larger size could help keep the motherboard components near the CPU
(MOSFETs) a little cooler?

Thanks for any feedback. .
--
Wayne ][
Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!

Old March 25th 04, 03:58 PM
S.Heenan

Wayne Youngman wrote:
Hi there,

I am trying to decide what size fan to buy for my current P4 build.
I am not sure whether a 80mm or 92mm is best. AT first I thought
92mm was the way to go but after having read a few reviews around the
web it seems like the 80mm fans are giving better performance due to
their smaller *hub* size, which reduces the size of the dead-zone.

I am also trying to decide what Heat-Sink to use also, it's down to
the ThermalRight SP-94 Swiftech MCX478-V which are both good
solutions, so I'm not sure whether I need a *Tornado* Type solution
or go with a quiet version.

I intend to overclock my P4c 2.6GHz to 3.2GHz +

An 80mm 55dB 80CFM 5700RPM is deafening, period.

Using the 92mm Vantec Tornado on the Thermalright SP-94, P4 2.6 at 3.4GHz,
this reviewer found 54C load and 39C idle temperatures.
http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/thermalr...eo_review.html

This next review uses the 92mm Panaflo H1 to cool a P4 at 3.18GHz to 47C
load.
http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/he...sp94/page4.php

I'd opt for the 92mm Panaflo
http://sidewindercomputers.com/pa92hisp.html
http://sidewindercomputers.com/pa92mesp.html

BTW, the stock heatsink can often keep a P4 at 3.2GHz under 50C(load) if
case airflow and more importantly, ambient temperature, is ~20C.

Old March 26th 04, 10:51 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

60mm, 80mm & 92mm fans usually have the same hub size.

Choose a good heatsink like the SLK, then either size fan.
However, keep cfm scaled proportional to thermal load:
o A 25cfm fan will cool 125W of CPU
o A 43cfm fan will cool 215W of CPU

So either is beyond the hottest P4-Prescott - and L spec Panaflo.

Instead ensure you are removing hot air from the CPU cooler area
rather than recirculating it. If your CPU-cooler recirculates 50% of
its air then a 75W CPU that requires 15cfm now needs 30cfm. That
is easiest with an exhaust fan near the CPU on the rear of the case.

You don't need screamers, just design a system level solution.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for fans, books & other items

Old March 27th 04, 03:37 AM
David Maynard

Dorothy Bradbury wrote:

60mm, 80mm & 92mm fans usually have the same hub size.

Choose a good heatsink like the SLK, then either size fan.
However, keep cfm scaled proportional to thermal load:
o A 25cfm fan will cool 125W of CPU
o A 43cfm fan will cool 215W of CPU

What are the rest of the parameters in those CFM calculations? Like
heatsink efficiency, ambient, and target temp?

Old March 27th 04, 08:16 AM
Phil Weldon

A 25cfm fan will cool 125W of CPU? Well so can a 5 cfm fan. Question is,
is it enough. It's pretty easy to figure out if your statement could
possibly be true.

The heat capacity of air (STP) is ~ 24 Watt seconds per cu. ft. per K, so a
1 k rise would require, for a 125 Watt CPU dissipation, 125/24 * 60 ~ =
300 cu. ft. per minute, or 30 cfm for a 10 K rise. But then there is the
thermal resistance of the spreader plate, the heatsink base, and the fin
interface... even pure copper is going to have a significant thermal
resistance for the die size and thermal spreader size of a Pentium 4
Prescott. So say case air temperature is a balmy 30 degrees C; add 15
degrees C for all thermal resistance, then the 10 degrees C for the air
temperature rise, and you get 30 + 15 + 10 = 55 C CPU temperature... not
what overclockers would be thrilled with. A dissipation level of 215 Watts
with the same die size and thermal spreader size would end up with a CPU die
temperature of more like 65 degrees C with the same input air temperature
and a 43 cfm fan. Within Intel specs, but on the edge of throttling, and
again, not thrilling to overclockers. Real world results will be even
worse. So I have to doubt the usefulness of your pronouncement.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Old March 27th 04, 10:39 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Interesting replies, but missing the context.

Lowest rule-of-thumb design:
o Basic guideline for cooling a 1500W heat source is 300cfm
o Lowest denominator guideline, cited by PAPST-EBM

Next level up of design:
o Taking the guideline, adjust it according to implementation
---- thermal input - what %age duty cycle the CPU does (assumed 100%)
---- air recirculation - what %age the CPU-cooler recirculates (assumed 0%)
o Taking the assumptions in Isolation obviously need adjustment
---- CPU duty cycle of 60-70% is more typical
---- air-recirculation of 30-40% is more typical (impingement heatsink)
o So the assumptions in Combination are somewhat moot
---- hence the guideline of 1500W heat source requiring 300cfm

If a CPU is overclocked, more consideration is needed.

Next level up of design:
o Id thermal solution objective requirements
---- id thermal load (100w)
---- id maximum temp delta (max-desired-temp - max-ambient-temp)
-------- eg, 52oC max, 35oC ambient, required temp-delta is 17oC
o Id thermal solution subjective requirements
---- overclocking = risk of hot-spots for CPU heatspreaders/cores
---- avoid hotspots = all copper base for low thermal gradient (Flower)
---- get heat to fins = heatpipes to fins using phase-change (SLK)
o Id heatsink meeting objective requirements for a given P-Q fan characteristic
---- Sufficiently low oC/W to not exceed your temp-delta given wattage
---- eg, 0.17oC/W for a 100W load with 17oC max rise
o Id estimate of heatsink air recirculation
---- heatsink data is for free air, integrated heatsinks recirculate air
-------- eg, impingement heatsinks recirculate 40%, but can be more or less
---- id your heatsink air recirculation
-------- eg, case-mounted fan behind heatsink reduces air recirculation
-------- eg, PSU intake port behind heatsink reduces it somewhat less
---- id resulting adjustment factor to use
o Id appropriate fan solution for revised oC/W
---- heatsink oC/W for CPU use is quoted with a particular fan cfm
-------- ideally showing relevant P-Q fan characteristic curve
---- adjust fan choice in light of required oC/W
-------- with view to testing resulting choice empirically :-)

Progression is from rules-of-thumb thro to spreadsheet modelling, with
more detailed meshing of assumptions by simple model & optimisers.

Next level up of design:
o Id resistance to airflow
---- in terms of Pa or mm-H2O to airflow to intended airflow range
---- eg, airflow resistance rises rapidly with airflow cfm
o Id required fan to maintain cfm against resistance
---- from fan characteristic curve re P-Q data
---- intending to keep the fan in the optimum position of the curve

Progression now is into empirical testing.
Here too, some basic rules-of-thumb apply - the ATX specification case
has 82-84% of the entire case resistance as the PSU exhaust fan grill.

The trend is clear - migration upwards to system level cooling design.

Reality is different - none of the above are really used now.
o System level thermal design is done at as early a level as possible
---- virtual modelling, minimal empirical testing
---- avoid design changes after component/layout in progress
o Design in reliability by predicting reliability of new tech
---- allows adoption of new tech, closer design to limits
---- MIL spec out, IEEE-1998 & 1999 reliability prediction stds in

So reality is post-it-note # design concepts, some rules of thumb
to narrow-down the likely design component choices, real-time assess
each design with a simple 2D block-blob finite network model, then
on to a more detailed 3D CFD/FEA model & assess hot-spots, shadowing,
refine selection of components & minimise costing thro to target cost.
Reason is watts - from PCB vias to MCM, BGA & compact thermal models.

Individual PC component buyers are OTS, Off-The-Shelf, integrators
who must create a thermal solution from very disparate components.
As such, 300cfm will cool 1500W with estimate of overdesign needed.
That overdesign becomes more detailed as one moves into specific
application needs - such as lower noise levels or overclocking.

For example, an 80mm fan may cool a heatsink well for overclocking.
However, in overclocking one has a system chain to consider:
o CPU VRM modules run hot and require some chassis cooling
---- hence P4-Prescott in *open air* had VRM capacitors at 235F
o Overclocking usually involves higher Icore & Vcore than normal
---- which involves more watts not just on the CPU, but VRM set
o Capacitors may be rated to 105oC, but not always low E-S-R
---- so VRM cooling can be important also

Hence a larger fan blowing over associated components can help,
but at the same time you can lose pressure over the CPU heatsink
as well as airflow - so impact on cooling there deleteriously.

Takes a bit of effort. Hub size is more critical in terms of the heatsink design
under it - generally the heatsink should be height layered down into hub centre,
helps a bit - cost $$. So if it's a choice of say heatpipes or layering, former wins.

That's a quickie.

Old March 28th 04, 03:43 AM
Phil Weldon

A quickie, opaque, and off point.

Old March 28th 04, 12:22 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

A quickie, opaque, and off point.

No, that would adequately qualify your reply above.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Quietest 80mm fan? General 3 August 19th 04 09:51 AM
Anyone got some pics of this fan installed Zalman ZL-FB123, Fan and bracket, 92mm We Live For The One We Die For The One General 1 May 10th 04 10:45 PM
What would be the quietest 80mm fan with with the highest CFM ? We Live For The One We Die For The One General 0 May 1st 04 09:24 AM
Aero 7+ (80mm) vs. Aero 7 Lite Nil Einne Overclocking 0 December 26th 03 09:58 AM
Quick Poll - 40mm - 60mm - 80mm - 92mm Fan on your Heatsink? Wayne Youngman Overclocking 11 July 29th 03 09:09 AM